My Jeep got a boo-boo today :(

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was driving home from an assignment today in my Jeep Cherokee. I was on the far right of the three lanes on the interstate, driving about 65 mph. Suddenly, my driver-side window exploded! I slowed down, and pulled off the road, to the shoulder. I called the highway patrol. While I was waiting for them (over an hour), I took some photos with my BlackBerry.

I didn't want to move around much because I could feel the glass pieces down my back, and under my butt. Each time a big semi whizzed by more glass pieces blew in on me. It was pretty cold and breezy in my car without the window.

After I got home, I kept finding more pieces of glass in my car. I took everything out so I can shake out the glass. I'm still finding shards in my clothing.

I'm supposed to get it replaced tomorrow.

Aww, sorry, Reba but I'm glad you're alright. What happened? Just old glass giving out?

Wow, Hard to believe.

Time to install window film for next time. The window won't glass pieces over you since the window film can hold crack window.

Like that.
window-big.jpg

Aww, sorry, Reba but I'm glad you're alright. What happened? Just old glass giving out?
I'm fine. Just shook me up.

Don't know. HP says could be a stone thrown up by a passing vehicle.

Wow, Hard to believe.

Time to install window film for next time. The window won't glass pieces over you since the window film can hold crack window.

Like that.
window-big.jpg
Is that like window tint?

Ouch! Had a windshield splintered from a debris falling out of a dump truck.

There goes your insurance premium! :( Even though it is no fault of yours. Filing a claim will cause your insurance to go up.

Ouch! Had a windshield splintered from a debris falling out of a dump truck.
Wow! That must have been very scary! :shock:

There goes your insurance premium! :( Even though it is no fault of yours. Filing a claim will cause your insurance to go up.
We claim at least one or two new windshields every year but our rates haven't gone up. Our insurance doesn't count windshield replacement against us.

We claim at least one or two new windshields every year but our rates haven't gone up. Our insurance doesn't count windshield replacement against us.

So the deductible doesn't kick in for things like windshield glass?

Good reactions, Reba! You are really lucky there is safety glass, but the window film seems like a good idea if you have so many windows breaking.

YIKES! That is scary! I am glad you are ok and nothing is serious.....

It is sure pain in butt to clean all the small pieces....

Same here...our insurance won't go up cuz we have been with them for many years....and hardly it go up! I had my window shield replaced 2 years ago I think, and cost us no penny.

Lucky you! It happened in my Jeep I used to have.

The reason they have me is because I could not provide a tag number. Geez!!

Like I can get the tag number....when a rock hits and break my windshield.

About 6 months later. I hit a darn bird!! I had the windshield replaced 'myself' after that!

Don't mind me asking who your provider is??? :giggle:

So the deductible doesn't kick in for things like windshield glass?
Nope. No deductible for windshield glass if you have comprehensive insurance. It's a South Carolina law.

Car Windshields - State-by-State Information

"Florida and Massachusetts only fully cover windshields, but Kentucky and South Carolina cover all glass replacement with no deductible."

What states have free windshield replacement??

First of all, South Carolina insurance law provides for windshield replacement with no deductible costs. Also, insurance companies are not allowed to make premium adjustments for a reasonable number of claims. "Reasonable" can sometimes be open to interpretation, but not abusing the service is understandable. If during the life of the car a windshield requires replacing because of cracks or multiples once or twice, this is a reasonable claim. Breaking a windshield monthly or some other ridiculous amount will lead to complications with the insurance provider.

Some insurance companies will even allow for windshield replacement if the car has many thousands of miles on it even if there is no specific damage. Abrasion from extended windshield wiper use, the scratches and mars from road hazards and cloudiness from years in the bright South Carolina sun can lead to the need for windshield replacement. If the owner believes the windshield is an impediment to safe driving, replacing it is in order.
Autoglass | Windshield Replacement | Auto Glass | 03-22-2010

Good reactions, Reba! You are really lucky there is safety glass, but the window film seems like a good idea if you have so many windows breaking.
It's the first time I've had a side window break. Usually it's our front windshields getting chips and cracks.

I have the dark tinted film on all my side windows except the front two.

YIKES! That is scary! I am glad you are ok and nothing is serious.....

It is sure pain in butt to clean all the small pieces....
Yeah, literally. I had pieces of glass in my pants (down the backside), and I had to sit in them until I got home. :giggle:

Maybe it was a sniper? I am glad you are okay, Reba, but for your own sake just be nice to everybody, okay?

First, I'm so glad ur alright! Very scary situation. Here in Jax, we've had gangs throwing rocks at cars on the interstate (gang initiations)...even people shooting at cars driving by. Seems it happens every spring/summer.

You seemed to be a "cool cucumber" when this happened! Nerves of steel? I would have been a nervous wreck!

Nope. No deductible for windshield glass if you have comprehensive insurance. It's a South Carolina law.

"Florida and Massachusetts only fully cover windshields, but Kentucky and South Carolina cover all glass replacement with no deductible."

My CR-V s window was damaged last two years when my GPS was stolen.

I had discussed with my agent of my auto insurance. Comprehensive deductible on my car is $250. I spoked with Auto Glass Repair service and it would cost $293 + tax to repair. I think that I probably not submit the claim and just handle the repair on your own. This maintain the claims-free discount on your auto policy. Also, Garmin GPS unit was not covered by my auto insurance, unfortunately. I m not worth about my insurance. I paid for for glass repair expense.

Florida covered it for me, fully... But it also end up costing me on my premium.

So I would not quite say it fully covered me.

First, I'm so glad ur alright! Very scary situation. Here in Jax, we've had gangs throwing rocks at cars on the interstate (gang initiations)...even people shooting at cars driving by. Seems it happens every spring/summer.

You seemed to be a "cool cucumber" when this happened! Nerves of steel? I would have been a nervous wreck!
I had my moments, believe me. :giggle:

Back