It it really the deaf/Deaf community?

Jillo is gonna kick my son's butt for hijacking her thread! :Ohno: :laugh2:

So, your son doesnt know sign language? Is he able to understand everything in the classroom just like his hearing peers do? Just wondering...

Yes, he does know sign language, but not as fluent as his cousins and other family members. He started dropping signs when he learned how to speak. I still sign to him at home just for visual content, but he tells me to stop because he understands what I am saying.

However in the classroom, there is no sign- he is mainstreamed with a TOD. In the classroom, there are times when he misses what is going on.. that's the job of the TOD to ensure that he doesn't miss everything... does it happen often?? No, but it does happen... He also is a real big advocate for himself and if a concept is taught and he doesn't understand, then he has always stopped his teacher and asked for clarification. I am lucky to be in a school district in which there are only 14 to 15 students in each classroom and there is an aide as well as a regular classroom teacher, so all the students needs are met. This is not just for my child but the district itself. He's in 5th grade and just completed reading "A Wrinkle In Time" and wrote a comphrensive book report about it & his hearing twin couldn't read the book and chose another to do his report on(Just giving kudo's out to my kid!!)

Yes, he does know sign language, but not as fluent as his cousins and other family members. He started dropping signs when he learned how to speak. I still sign to him at home just for visual content, but he tells me to stop because he understands what I am saying.

However in the classroom, there is no sign- he is mainstreamed with a TOD. In the classroom, there are times when he misses what is going on.. that's the job of the TOD to ensure that he doesn't miss everything... does it happen often?? No, but it does happen... He also is a real big advocate for himself and if a concept is taught and he doesn't understand, then he has always stopped his teacher and asked for clarification. I am lucky to be in a school district in which there are only 14 to 15 students in each classroom and there is an aide as well as a regular classroom teacher, so all the students needs are met. This is not just for my child but the district itself. He's in 5th grade and just completed reading "A Wrinkle In Time" and wrote a comphrensive book report about it & his hearing twin couldn't read the book and chose another to do his report on(Just giving kudo's out to my kid!!)

That was one of my favorite books when I was that age! I need to read it again for old times' sake.

I was referring to MY experience. The teachers were referred as Teacher for the Hearing Impaired, and the children were not referred to as deaf or hard of hearing. This is MY experience. Also, the classroom was for hearing impaired children. I didn't refer anyone here or She'ls students hearing impaired.

I understand what you're saying, but if parents want an education with signs along with speech all day because it's part of their continuous learning auditory inputs, that's what I understand why it's part of the CI and speech skills. It's why I recommend learning about how CI works from an experienced professional, so that Shel may familiarize why auditory inputs is needed all day in a classroom whether or not sign language is taught.

I feel that one of the rejections they feel is stemming from their choice to have their children have oralism and CI. That's my opinion. If it's off-topic as you feel, then simply ignore my post.

It would seem that you are missing the entire point of the thread. We are not talking about educational placement. We are talking about cultural exposure.

And saying "I am hearing impaired." is acceptable if that is the way you wish to describe yourself. Saying someone else is hearing impaired is not.

LOL @ everyone. I had dinner guests here and my 2 year old was playing on the computer during the time. Apparently he figured out to post his opinion about this topic!!! Hilarous!
Give Nathan a hug and tell him I agree with his opinion 100%!:lol:

That was one of my favorite books when I was that age! I need to read it again for old times' sake.

I read it again about 3 years ago when one of my nieces was reading it for school. It was just as enjoyable the 2nd time around!:giggle:

The author of that book passed away last year in Sept. That book "Wrinkle in Time" and also "A Wind in the Door" reflect her strong interest in modern science. The previous mentioned "tesseract" and latter mentioned "mitochondrial DNA" She also have another book titled "The arm of the starfish" about "regeneration"

cheers!

LOL @ everyone. I had dinner guests here and my 2 year old was playing on the computer during the time. Apparently he figured out to post his opinion about this topic!!! Hilarous!

I wonder who taught him to read and write in Klington? :lol:

And saying "I am hearing impaired." is acceptable if that is the way you wish to describe yourself. Saying someone else is hearing impaired is not.

This is my post:

I know of a classroom for hearing impaired children I was in, and the teacher that was in the class no longer had hearing impaired children because they went to mainstream schools. She is a teacher for hearing children at the elementary school. You feel threatened that your degree will no longer be useful.

Again, this is MY experience, and in my experience in school, hearing impaired was the term normally used. I do get your point, but I am not calling anyone hearing impaired in terms of contributing to discomfort. Deaf or Hard of Hearing were never used during MY classroom experiences. It wouldn't make sense to me to use deaf or hard of hearing in my other post because it simply wasn't the term used when I was in school.

So, I felt the appropriate term was to use hearing impaired. I may not make sense to you, but it makes sense to me. We can go on jillio, but I strongly feel that I used the appropriate term related to MY experience.

If it was talking about Shel's student or someone here or that I know use the word deaf or hard of hearing, then by all means, I use deaf or hard of hearing.

It would seem that you are missing the entire point of the thread. We are not talking about educational placement. We are talking about cultural exposure.

I am not missing any point. I do get it's the cultural exposure differences. The fact is that when someone defends their children's exposure, and if it is related to oral or CI reasons for exposure, one goes on to list the reasons why their way is better for their child. Sometimes what's general needs to go into details to try to clarify WHY they choose that exposure for their child. I felt it was appropriate to explain my opinion.

I see other parents and poster's contribution here and giving their opinions, why are you picking on me about this? And the word hearing impaired when I felt it was VERY appropriate? I think it's simply real silly. I feel you simply don't like what I have to say and very biased, which is fine for you. I just hope you're aware that you're not leading your thread to a biased opinion.

This is my post:

Again, this is MY experience, and in my experience in school, hearing impaired was the term normally used. I do get your point, but I am not calling anyone hearing impaired in terms of contributing to discomfort. Deaf or Hard of Hearing were never used during MY classroom experiences. It wouldn't make sense to me to use deaf or hard of hearing in my other post because it simply wasn't the term used when I was in school.

So, I felt the appropriate term was to use hearing impaired. I may not make sense to you, but it makes sense to me. We can go on jillio, but I strongly feel that I used the appropriate term related to MY experience.

If it was talking about Shel's student or someone here or that I know use the word deaf or hard of hearing, then by all means, I use deaf or hard of hearing.

I am not missing any point. I do get it's the cultural exposure differences. The fact is that when someone defends their children's exposure, and if it is related to oral or CI reasons for exposure, one goes on to list the reasons why their way is better for their child. Sometimes what's general needs to go into details to try to clarify WHY they choose that exposure for their child. I felt it was appropriate to explain my opinion.

I see other parents and poster's contribution here and giving their opinions, why are you picking on me about this? And the word hearing impaired when I felt it was VERY appropriate? I think it's simply real silly. I feel you simply don't like what I have to say and very biased, which is fine for you. I just hope you're aware that you're not leading your thread to a biased opinion.

I fully understand that you feel the term "hearing impaired" is appropriate, and that it is the term that was used when you were in school. In times past, it was widely accepted that a particular racial slur was considered approporiate by many and was widely used to describe those of African American descent. The same can be said for any ethnic group. There are those, that despite being informed that the terminology is insulting and degrading from the perspective of the ethnic minority, continue to use it. That does not make it okay. The term "hearing impaired" is considered to be as degrading to them as the other racial slurs are to other ethnic groups. We have discussed this at length in more than one thread here on AD.

I am asking for nothing more than consideration for those that are offended by the term, and fail to see why it is that you refuse to provide that consideration. However, I am asking again that the term not be used out of consideration for the members of this forum that believe there is a negative connotation to the term. Please refrain from using it. If you find that it is impossible for you to post without using that term, then perhaps it would be best if you not post in this thread at all. That is not to say that your input is not welcome. You are free to post your ideas and your feelings. What you are not free to do is use the term hearing impaired when the term deaf/hoh is just as easy to use.

Thank you for your consideration of others.

This is my post:

Hearing impaired is just as offensive as some other negative labels that puts a group of people in a negative light. If u want to accept that for yourself, it is your right.

It is not silly...it is all about a change in attitudes and views and if we want the negative views of deafness, deaf people, and sign language to be changed into a more positive view, starting out with eliminating negative labels like that is taking one step to that goal.

Hearing-impaired is just another politically correct word for people who don't want to be known as Deaf.

There really isn't any difference and people should not be ashamed to label themselves as Deaf.

Kinda off topic: I grew up thinking Oriental is very offensive term, so I never used it and corrected it on other people when they said it. I became good friends with a Chinese guy and he is perfectly fine with "Oriental", "Asian", or "Chinese". I actually looked it up, and some Chinese people DO get offended from the term Oriental, EXCEPT if you are from Europe. It's the norm there.

Conclusion? Stop focusing so much on politically correct words! It's about the INTENT, not the word itself!!! Do you think Clear Sky really intended to put herself and her classmates down by using the word "hearing impaired"?? The point that "hearing impaired" is offensive to some people is already made and duly noted.

There's more important matters on hand, such as how did Nathan learn Klingon?

Kinda off topic: I grew up thinking Oriental is very offensive term, so I never used it and corrected it on other people when they said it. I became good friends with a Chinese guy and he is perfectly fine with "Oriental", "Asian", or "Chinese". I actually looked it up, and some Chinese people DO get offended from the term Oriental, EXCEPT if you are from Europe. It's the norm there.

Conclusion? Stop focusing so much on politically correct words! It's about the INTENT, not the word itself!!! Do you think Clear Sky really intended to put herself and her classmates down by using the word "hearing impaired"?? The point that "hearing impaired" is offensive to some people is already made and duly noted.

There's more important matters on hand, such as how did Nathan learn Klingon?

If you were addressing a group that found the term "Oriental" offensive, would you continue to use it despite knowing that it was found offensive? That is the point.

If you were addressing a group that found the term "Oriental" offensive, would you continue to use it despite knowing that it was found offensive? That is the point.

Yes true but there is one difference.. I am not Chinese. ClearSky is deaf/HoH herself, so if she wants to call herself hearing impaired, so be it. I understand that she called her classmates hearing impaired too, but she was trying to explain WHY (It was just the norm in her educational setting).

May I point out the obvious? Hearing people who know NOTHING about deafness do not see ANY difference between deaf, HoH, and hearing impaired. They most definitely will not look down on someone who calls herself "hearing impaired" over someone who is "deaf". However, if they know about the stereotypes of Deaf culture, they may look down on Deaf more than anything else.

Before the deaf people get upset about that, you do realize that you look down on those who call themselves hearing impaired over deaf.....

Both sides are guilty of judging on which label they use.

Yes true but there is one difference.. I am not Chinese. ClearSky is deaf/HoH herself, so if she wants to call herself hearing impaired, so be it. I understand that she called her classmates hearing impaired too, but she was trying to explain WHY (It was just the norm in her educational setting).

May I point out the obvious? Hearing people who know NOTHING about deafness do not see ANY difference between deaf, HoH, and hearing impaired. They most definitely will not look down on someone who calls herself "hearing impaired" over someone who is "deaf". However, if they know about the stereotypes of Deaf culture, they may look down on Deaf more than anything else.

Before the deaf people get upset about that, you do realize that you look down on those who call themselves hearing impaired over deaf.....

Both sides are guilty of judging on which label they use.

And I have made it perfectly clear that if Clearsky wishes to accept "hearing impaired" as a label to describe herself, that is fine. I have only requested that it not be used to infer a description on anyone else.

The point is not what terminology evokes which reaction from the hearing community, but which terminology evokes what reaction from the Deaf/deaf/hoh community. As it is a description applied to that community, they have the right to decide for themselves which terminology they prefer to have used to describe themselves. Many find "hearing impaired" to be offensive.

"Colored" used to be an acceptable term to describe people of African American decent. There are several older African Americans that will still use the word to describe themselves. However, it is considered to be offensive by the majority of the African American community. Therefore, I would not suggest getting in the habit if using it as a descriptive. Caucasions might not see the offense in the use, but the community toward which it is directed does. Their perspective takes precedence. It is called "cultural sensitivity."

That's fine, I just hope that people are prone to understanding that sometimes (if not most of the time) people don't know what to call certain groups of people. If they used a term they don't like, I'd hope that people take it with a smile and say "I'm sorry but a lot of us prefer the term 'so and so' ". It would make a happier place!

That's fine, I just hope that people are prone to understanding that sometimes (if not most of the time) people don't know what to call certain groups of people. If they used a term they don't like, I'd hope that people take it with a smile and say "I'm sorry but a lot of us prefer the term 'so and so' ". It would make a happier place!

Agreed. Which is why I asked, and shel explained why, that the term not be used when it was first mentioned several posts back. Unfortunately, that request not to use the term in reference to others has not been fulfilled.

Back