It it really the deaf/Deaf community?

That makes life very interesting.
Wait a minute.. whaddaya mean, you're voting for McCain?

:lol:

No, I'm teasing you! Actually it is a relief to know we do have a common ground. Thank you for being pro-ASL, OB! I don't know what I would have done without ASL.

You're welcome! :)

I support both ASL and a person's choice to get CI if that's what they want for themselves. I think speech skills are a valuable asset to someone, but I don't discriminate. One of my best friends is an ASL user and I love her dearly. My signing is sketchy. I admit it, but I'm learning.

My greatest wish is if hearies and deafies could come together and learn from one another. I understand why alot of deafies want no part of the hearing world, but I just wish it wasn't so.

And, about that McCain joke... Oh, please. The man scares me witless! ;)

I think there are a lot of us that wish it weren't so, OB! And the other way around, as well. Maybe if those of us that wish it weren't so each do what we can in our own little way, it will begin to make a difference overall. :shrug:

I think there are a lot of us that wish it weren't so, OB! And the other way around, as well. Maybe if those of us that wish it weren't so each do what we can in our own little way, it will begin to make a difference overall. :shrug:

That's the way I look at, Jillio.

So all it boils down is respecting each other's values and needs.

I respect hearing people values of spoken language and hearing ..I just ask them same from them about ASL and deafness.

Is that a hard thing to do?

I respect hearing people values of spoken language and hearing ..I just ask them same from them about ASL and deafness.

Right on!!

It shouldn't be, but it is for some people.

It shouldn't be, but it is for some people.

Also..my only wish if for all deaf children to have both.

Would be nice if hearing children have both too!

Maybe we wouldnt have as much discrimination as we do now against deaf people who do not have speech skills if hearing children are exposed to both as well.

Also..my only wish if for all deaf children to have both.

Would be nice if hearing children have both too!

Maybe we wouldnt have as much discrimination as we do now against deaf people who do not have speech skills if hearing children are exposed to both as well.

Maybe, but what do you think about those who say it's OK for a hearing child to be tought ASL in infancy, but it's also OK to deny the same to a deaf child?

Personally, that reeks of idiocy and insanity. It's ok for a hearing child to learn ASL as a bridge to spoken language, but it's bad for a deaf child to sign, because it "hinders" their progress towards spoken language?

How screwed is that?

Maybe, but what do you think about those who say it's OK for a hearing child to be tought ASL in infancy, but it's also OK to deny the same to a deaf child?

Personally, that reeks of idiocy and insanity. It's ok for a hearing child to learn ASL as a bridge to spoken language, but it's bad for a deaf child to sign, because it "hinders" their progress towards spoken language?

How screwed is that?

Very VERY screwed up. I dont even want to go there cuz it just makes me want to :barf:

Beside! Hearing community is still part of the Deaf community, why? Because there wouldn't be a deaf community without the help of FRIENDS AND FAMILIES.

I disagree.... The Deaf community exists because of the rejections from the hearing community. If you read Nora Ellen Groce's "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language", you will see that the marriages between hearing people and deaf people on Martha's Vineyard in 18th and 19th centuries are much more common than the ones on the mainland. (page 79 - 35% of Vineyard deafs married other deaf people while almost 79% mainland deafs married other deaf people.) My point is that almost everybody on that island know sign language at that time, all had this attidude of "The deaf people are just like everybody else" and "The deaf people aren't handicapped". That is why there is no "deaf community" there at that time because everybody signs. No need for deaf clubs, no need for all deaf sport teams, no need for deaf schools. What we have now is the opposite of what the Martha's Vineyard people had back then so it is very necessary for deaf clubs, all deaf sport teams, deaf schools. It is all simple.

I disagree.... The Deaf community exists because of the rejections from the hearing community. If you read Nora Ellen Groce's "Everyone Here Spoke Sign Language", you will see that the marriages between hearing people and deaf people on Martha's Vineyard in 18th and 19th centuries are much more common than the ones on the mainland. (page 79 - 35% of Vineyard deafs married other deaf people while almost 79% mainland deafs married other deaf people.) My point is that almost everybody on that island know sign language at that time, all had this attidude of "The deaf people are just like everybody else" and "The deaf people aren't handicapped". That is why there is no "deaf community" there at that time because everybody signs. No need for deaf clubs, no need for all deaf sport teams, no need for deaf schools. What we have now is the opposite of what the Martha's Vineyard people had back then so it is very necessary for deaf clubs, all deaf sport teams, deaf schools. It is all simple.

Well said, Buffalo. It is the exclusion of the hearing that led to the need for a deaf community.

How screwed is that?

Real screwy. I often used Martha's Vineyard in 18th and 19th centuries as a good example of how deaf and hearing people can co-exist better. I feel that too many of hearing people aren't listening to this.

I have seen a cartoon of two babies - hearing baby was signing and looks happy while the deaf baby is about to cry because of the handcuffs on his/her wrists.

Actually, CI recipients carry the *same* risk for meningitis as those who are not implanted.

To prevent the risk of meningitis, all children and adults are strongly encouraged to receive a meningitis shot prior to surgery.

Advice for Patients with Cochlear Implants

This is from the link you just provided: "A survey of parents of cochlear implanted children showed nearly half of them did not know whether their child had been fully vaccinated.

This Advice for Patients is to remind you of the increased and life-threatening risk of bacterial meningitis in cochlear implant patients and the importance of their being fully vaccinated."

And it is scary to read that nearly half of the parents don't know about their child's vaccinations.

Could you please provide me a link where it says that CI implantees have the same risk as non-implantees? I haven't seen that and all I have seen are the ones where the CI implantees have higher risk.

I wonder about the insurance. Does your insurance goes up after your implant? I suspect it would go up because of the meningitis risk and the need to replace whatever got broken. I 'd like to know about that.

Let's see, if being Deaf really was a disadvantage, would I have an Associates Degree? Would I be pursuing a Bachelors Degree? Would I be on the Native American Commission? Would I be able to work with others?

Being Deaf isn't a disadvantage, at least not in this day and age. It's hard to find non-Deaf people that will give you a chance but that doesn't mean that it's impossible.

I hope you can see where I'm coming from with my opinion on CIs. I see them as an attempt to correct what is perceived to be a defect by some (deafness), instead of embracing that defect and learning to live with it and take advantage of it.

Sorry, i disagree with this remark, that being deaf/Deaf is not a disadvantage, just because occassionally a deaf person may succeed, it doesnt mean there is not barriers or even 'overcoming these particular barriers' it is 'luck' that people have a 'break' or even is well-deserved from recognition of hard work - sure. This is liken to say a man using a wheelchair has became a sucessful lawyer while this does not 'erase' the harsh reality of steps, stairways, narrow door ways, the limits of travel, the attitudes of walking people 'looking down'.

While, it is also not difficult to understand the feeling of self-empowerment however this shouldnt be confused with 'proving that barriers does not exist' while indeed, to confront it, i can see it that you might have to 'have a mindset to forget about barriers' that bring confidence and power surely, but it doesnt change the overall reality for ALL deaf/Deaf people!, discriminations and oppressions ARE real.

Denial of the overal reality is falsified thinking, situations described as impossible is not unusual and even sometimes an it is an understatement!
Dont get me wrong i know whay you are saying, its not 'impossible' in the literal sense for some people, being a 'living proof' doesn't mean much in terms of 'how far we came'.

Sorry, i disagree with this remark, that being deaf/Deaf is not a disadvantage, just because occassionally a deaf person may succeed, it doesnt mean there is not barriers or even 'overcoming these particular barriers' it is 'luck' that people have a 'break' or even is well-deserved from recognition of hard work - sure. This is liken to say a man using a wheelchair has became a sucessful lawyer while this does not 'erase' the harsh reality of steps, stairways, narrow door ways, the limits of travel, the attitudes of walking people 'looking down'.

While, it is also not difficult to understand the feeling of self-empowerment however this shouldnt be confused with 'proving that barriers does not exist' while indeed, to confront it, i can see it that you might have to 'have a mindset to forget about barriers' that bring confidence and power surely, but it doesnt change the overall reality for ALL deaf/Deaf people!, discriminations and oppressions ARE real.

Denial of the overal reality is falsified thinking, situations described as impossible is not unusual and even sometimes an it is an understatement!
Dont get me wrong i know whay you are saying, its not 'impossible' in the literal sense for some people, being a 'living proof' doesn't mean much in terms of 'how far we came'.

:gpost:

This is from the link you just provided: "A survey of parents of cochlear implanted children showed nearly half of them did not know whether their child had been fully vaccinated.

This Advice for Patients is to remind you of the increased and life-threatening risk of bacterial meningitis in cochlear implant patients and the importance of their being fully vaccinated."

And it is scary to read that nearly half of the parents don't know about their child's vaccinations.

Could you please provide me a link where it says that CI implantees have the same risk as non-implantees? I haven't seen that and all I have seen are the ones where the CI implantees have higher risk.

I wonder about the insurance. Does your insurance goes up after your implant? I suspect it would go up because of the meningitis risk and the need to replace whatever got broken. I 'd like to know about that.

As for your first question, I can't provide any links. However, several CI users (as well as my CI surgeon) have said that CI recipients carry the same risk for meningitis as those who are non-implanted.

Re: insurance. From all of the CI users I know, none of them had higher premiums because of their CI. As for myself, I have Medicare and Medicaid for insurance, so I can't comment on the issue of higher premiums.

How screwed is that?

Amen! I think Amy Choen Efron got a lot of attention on her famous vblog called "The Greatest Irony" on that very subject.

Back