I need help on choice of Intel and AMD

I suggest you to buy a LCD monitor instead of a tube monitor because it makes your eyes less stress.

That's only if you leave the CRT refresh rate at default 60 hz. Boost it up to 85 or 100 hz and your so-called "eye strain" will go away. I've been using 100 hz for desktop and 120 hz for gaming. No eye strain whatsoever.

How about AMD Duron or Sempron.. Are these same kind of problem with Celeron?

I didn't try Sempron or Duron processor. But I had friend who have desktop running on Sempron processor. I haven't heard their cry for help to fix their pc. I have heard lot of cries help on their Intel Celeron desktop. Windows 98 and Windows 2k had issue with Celeron utnil I finally decide to try out Win XP even if they had 128mb and running slower than W2K. It seem the problem went away for a while then when I left, week later, their computer was screwy. I asked what did they do with it. They told me they did nothing but browsing net, chatting AIM, checking Email something basic.

power consumption

Intel is low watt, AMD is raw power, required lot of watt to eat out of electric bill. yowza

I don't care about electric bills. AMD w/ raw power is good. It show it's mean and powerful LOL. Kidding. I don't care about electric bills tho. it depend on power supply that provide juice to system. If one own PC w/ 900 watt power supply. They're nuts. They can see the electric meter spinning like a top. AMD and Intel don't use much power. Thinner the chipset, less electricity it uses. Currently Intel and AMD have 90nm chip and they are going for 130nm which are challenging. Pretty soon Both manufacturer will compete for modular processor (more than 2 processors) in a chip. Which will means less heat and will use less electricity. One day, you can power the laptop with couple of High Powered Cochlear 675 batteries LOL.

Soon that we will have pc or laptop that will have modular processor and MRAM (magnetic RAM) memory. NO more hard drive in future. Just solid state and it'll boot right up in less than 15 seconds. You can shut down quickly and later power up and it'll go in desktop where you left off. No need save files. Also said that laptop with MRAM memory will make laptop battery last ALL DAY!!. Imagine that.

Good Luck'
CAtty!

AMD and Intel both uses BIG heat sinks typically in Desktops. I have heatpipe CPU cooler with lots of fins and centerfug fan inside middle. It kept AMD64 processor cool. Last year, I was building AMD64 system and I bought Antec pure copper heatpipe cooler that don't need fan to keep cool. It was expensive, $75 for it. I was wondering why it was heavy. I got in my car and took a peep in the long white box. YEEOOWW it's soooo HUGE!! Wonder how can it fit inside the CPU case!!! I closed the box and returned it and told the sales person I don't want that huge one. I wanted is a simple heatpipe cooler. I found "Gigabye" Rocket brand heatpipe cooler. Right size whew!! Antec pure copper Heatpipe is heavy. It uses bolt on bracket made of copper w/ plastic insulator that protects back of the board where processor located and must bolted on after installation (require removing motherboard). suppose you dropped your CPU case just couple of inches, it'll rip off the processor mounting along with pieces of motherboard! forget it.

My board have "Cool n Quiet' technology to allow system to adjust fan speed automatically if it get hot or cool. I was playing with ABIT Uguru program in Windows desktop to change setting from "Quiet" to "Performance". I can hear the fan kicked to high speed through my CI LOL. Cool isn't it. I also watched AMD64's temp rise up to 47c and steady. Then I switched back to "Quiet" setting, fan quiet down to low speed and Processor temp dropped to 29c. My AMD Turion laptop does exactly same. I downloaded AMD's "Dashboard" from AMD website. It look like a race car tach w/ speedo and temp. I changed the laptop's Power property from "Portable/laptop" to "Always On", it went to maximum and temp went up to 54c steady wow (it's typical for laptop to have small heatsink tho). I can feel a little hot air blowing on side of laptop, nice hand warmer!.

AMD Turion is competing with Intel Duo.

Last edited:
I recommend that. Even 80 GB is plenty if you aren't planning on doing any specialized work such as video editing.

pacman is fine with 80gb as no video editing.

That's only if you leave the CRT refresh rate at default 60 hz. Boost it up to 85 or 100 hz and your so-called "eye strain" will go away. I've been using 100 hz for desktop and 120 hz for gaming. No eye strain whatsoever.

That's what I set like that.

Currently Intel and AMD have 90nm chip and they are going for 130nm which are challenging.

Intel 130nm released in 8 years ago.
Intel is 65nm and new AMD just released 65nm.. Intel will be 45nm.

I agreed with him. I love Apple computers. I don't hate IBM PC. It is just my choice. Actually, I do not have a problem with my Apple computer for two years. It is a quite expensive, but it is worth it which last a long time. My opinion is that Apple is more flexible than IBM PC. I suggest you to buy a LCD monitor instead of a tube monitor because it makes your eyes less stress. (LCD montor is better if you have between 17" to 20.")

Let you know that I have an Apple G5 desktop, 20 inches LCD monitor, and HP PSC 2410 photosmart printer (All-in-one printer such as fax, printing, scanner, and a digital camera slots).

I have flat panel LCD monitor...

Apple? I'm not get Mac since Windows Vista is satisfy so enough for me, probably similar to Tigers but totally different environment and program since Windows XP is too plain and not good as Tigers (Mac) does. Now, I had checked Windows Vista at my job, even, one employee brought his laptop with beautiful Vista and I just like drooled then want toss stupid Windows XP in trash. I don't care about virus or worm issue, also I don't use virus program anymore and know how to take care of PC, also beware on e-mail and website.

I used to have Performa that got first one in 1993 and looks good and life so longer, not much to get issues but I never reach to Mac after iMac is released in 1998, that where I got first Windows 98 with Pentium 2 in 1998 and computer model is Dell. I went to Apple store and checked iMac, that seems little lost me and MUCH CHANGING from Performa and surprised me. Now, I got some time to interesting on iMac and rather to wait until Vista is released then now... I'm addicting to Vista because it have more anything in it including media center then I made last choice... It's based on my personal, also I had lost some interesting in Mac after got first Windows in 1998.

Also, I have widescreen monitor with DVI built-in.

I don't hate MS but I'm just dislike Windows XP...

Btw, I need have Windows Vista (Home Premium) because of Xbox 360 and able to sharing with media center, such as allow to watch live TV on Xbox 360.

I will planning to install TV tuner (HDTV) on new PC in later.

Why can't you save money and move to Canada? You want to move to Canada, right? :|

I don't care about electric bills. AMD w/ raw power is good. It show it's mean and powerful LOL. Kidding. I don't care about electric bills tho. it depend on power supply that provide juice to system. If one own PC w/ 900 watt power supply. They're nuts. They can see the electric meter spinning like a top. AMD and Intel don't use much power. Thinner the chipset, less electricity it uses. Currently Intel and AMD have 90nm chip and they are going for 130nm which are challenging. Pretty soon Both manufacturer will compete for modular processor (more than 2 processors) in a chip. Which will means less heat and will use less electricity. One day, you can power the laptop with couple of High Powered Cochlear 675 batteries LOL.

Soon that we will have pc or laptop that will have modular processor and MRAM (magnetic RAM) memory. NO more hard drive in future. Just solid state and it'll boot right up in less than 15 seconds. You can shut down quickly and later power up and it'll go in desktop where you left off. No need save files. Also said that laptop with MRAM memory will make laptop battery last ALL DAY!!. Imagine that.

Good Luck'
CAtty!

Thanks for making a pointless post.

Thanks for making a pointless post.

Yup it's pointless. For the choice of AMD or Intel. They're butting head to head each other. Actually it have nothing to do with quality of processor.

It's the motherboard either well known companies like Dell, HP, Toshibia ect.. or mobo's manufacturer like Gigabyte, ABIT, BIOStar ect.. It's a quality of motherboard using chipset (north and south) like VIA, Intel, SiS, ATI, Nvidia ect that can affect quality. I knew Dell, HP, and several companies buy cheap motherboards from "unknown" mobo manufacturer that you cannot trace online. It's BIOS are very limited somewhat that if you want to boot USB flashdrive, it may not work maybe it would on some. Sometime it have upgrade limitation that force you to buy new system instead of upgrading it. Buying high quality mobo like Asus, GigaByte, Abit ect have better upgradabilty. Also BIOS have much more choices that allow you to do whatever you wish to Overclock or turn on or off some hardware config. I have been fixing lot of friend's system and learned alot. Better quality mobo are very stable and solid while cheap board like Asrock, Mach, ect that ususally sold for less than $25 tend to be problemic. My friend had trouble getting his CDrw drive working on Mach board and I loaned my CDrw to see if it works on his board, it didn't work. So I tried his CDrw drive to my Gigabyte system. it works fine. so apparently his board is problemic. Sometime it wont install Windows XP (it popped blue screen right after "Starting Windows" during installation) unless you swap the graphic card to different one and it'll work.

I hope I made a point.
LOL
Catty

How about eMachines? Is it bad computer?

IF you can't make up your mind....get a iMac with intel Duo core 2 and run Mac OS X AND Windows Vista. If you want to be able to afford it, stop buying video games. ;) If you can't afford it, get a Mac Mini instead, though it has a weak video card. I noticed you can't make up your mind, you said that you wanted to get a Mac, now you want to buy a PC. IMac is a great all in one machine that CAN run both OS. ;)

Oh well, I'm still planning to buy MacBook for go to university, also I must have laptop for that.

I rather to use Windows for desktop, not for laptop.

Got it now? or need more on hiking to beautiful Sequioas tree?

pacman is fine with 80gb as no video editing.

That's what I set like that.

Intel 130nm released in 8 years ago.
Intel is 65nm and new AMD just released 65nm.. Intel will be 45nm.

OOps my mistake! thanks! I did recall that they are getting thinner so I had it backward LOL.

How about eMachines? Is it bad computer?

Nah IF you had the most recent Emachine. Friend of mine have AMD 64 3200 Emachine. It ran fine and it's been a year and I haven't heard her cry for help (except minor issue with Incredimail). But Actually Emachine is part of Gateway system. I dislike Gateway. It all depend what board Emachine buy from. If you crack the case and see what chipset it uses. VIA, Intel, Nvidia, ATI (just new) are high quality chipset for North and South bridge. But if you EVER see SiS chipset on board, they sux!! I cannot point out Emachine are bad. Sometime some Emachine models (either it have Intel processor or AMD processor) had good quality board, some don't. So who knows what Emachine buy from?

Thanks
Catty

Nah IF you had the most recent Emachine. Friend of mine have AMD 64 3200 Emachine. It ran fine and it's been a year and I haven't heard her cry for help (except minor issue with Incredimail). But Actually Emachine is part of Gateway system. I dislike Gateway. It all depend what board Emachine buy from. If you crack the case and see what chipset it uses. VIA, Intel, Nvidia, ATI (just new) are high quality chipset for North and South bridge. But if you EVER see SiS chipset on board, they sux!! I cannot point out Emachine are bad. Sometime some Emachine models (either it have Intel processor or AMD processor) had good quality board, some don't. So who knows what Emachine buy from?

Thanks
Catty

well.. eMachine can be sometime act weird with network.

A few years ago, I think I read a newspaper that eMachine Company was sued from other company for a copyright fragment. I didn't know that eMachine is back in the business.

Apple is now selling its Mac Pro on the market. This computer has a 8-core Xeon which is so powerful. Personally, I don't need that fast one. Interesting, it can hold up to 3 TB of internal storage. (http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html)

Pacman - you could buy both IBM PC desktop and Mac laptop computers. It sounds not too bad. Uh, I bet that you are rich - :eek2: :applause: :thumb: :drool:

A few years ago, I think I read a newspaper that eMachine Company was sued from other company for a copyright fragment. I didn't know that eMachine is back in the business.

Apple is now selling its Mac Pro on the market. This computer has a 8-core Xeon which is so powerful. Personally, I don't need that fast one. Interesting, it can hold up to 3 TB of internal storage. (http://www.apple.com/macpro/specs.html)

Pacman - you could buy both IBM PC desktop and Mac laptop computers. It sounds not too bad. Uh, I bet that you are rich - :eek2: :applause: :thumb: :drool:

he said he will pay much as $600 or is that $700? cheapskate.

well.. eMachine can be sometime act weird with network.

Yup, that's true...

I was running the firefox on eMachines and seems too slow to loading then I feel like blame on DSL or something, then wait until few hours later and AD is goes too faster. I think it was from eMachine or DSL... Oh.... LOL...

Btw, I installed tweak on firefox and looks much better.

Back