I need help on choice of Intel and AMD

Ok, I'm on budget wise...

I had checked at Best Buy and Circuit City, most of computers are feature with Pentium D and Athlon 64 X2, also I want make better to choice about less issue, less crash and running so smooth, I want check on pros and cons for both of products.

What's pros and cons about GeForce 6150 LE and GMA 950? Which is better? I will upgrade into GeForce, more power than 6150 LE in later or so. It's same as goes on Pentium D and can upgrade into Core 2 Duo in later, is it good enough?

Don't buy from Best Buy or Circuit City. Buy from Velocity Micro. They've been doing really well lately and is much admired in the computing industry. Velocity Micro - Custom Computer Systems - Computers, Gaming Computers, Notebooks, Desktops, Business Workstations

You said you want to play games smoothly. A GeForce 6150 LE or GMA 950 is not going to do it for you. I have the GMA 950 and it barely runs Quake 3 to at least 100 FPS and Quake 3 is an eight year old game. Just get a decent video card like a GeForce 7600 GT that would keep you hanging for a while. Just go with the Core 2 Duo - you will not need anything else.

Don't buy from Best Buy or Circuit City. Buy from Velocity Micro. They've been doing really well lately and is much admired in the computing industry. Velocity Micro - Custom Computer Systems - Computers, Gaming Computers, Notebooks, Desktops, Business Workstations

You said you want to play games smoothly. A GeForce 6150 LE or GMA 950 is not going to do it for you. I have the GMA 950 and it barely runs Quake 3 to at least 100 FPS and Quake 3 is an eight year old game. Just get a decent video card like a GeForce 7600 GT that would keep you hanging for a while. Just go with the Core 2 Duo - you will not need anything else.

But suppose Pacman can't afford to buy a $1000 computer system? Then what can you suggest he do?

Ouch. I suppose his Pentium D computer would still be great to use, if only he'd know how to operate a computer. ;)

Pacman, what is your budget anyway?

I notice AMD Athlon XP boots up faster and better in Linux than does Intel (maybe it's a Celeron processor). Also I have AMD64 3500 2.2 Ghz(Venice Core) and using Abit AV8 board which is 100% Linux compatible. It boots quickly into Sabayon while Elitegroup ECS S4-2 (the one I found on street corner that someone threw away, real dumb of them cuz of wrong power supply hee hee hee. My "gold mine") w/ 2Ghz Celeron processor booted up slowly on same linux. Interesting.

About Intel crashing down on windows than AMD. I agree with the guy BUT I notice it's mostly INTEL CELERON!! not Pentum IV. Celeron have issue with Windows. Cuz Celeron is cheap Intel processor and it is missing many instruction set what Pentuim IV have. So it's make no difference to me if I buy AMD or Intel. I bought AMD because it's cheap while Intel Pentuim are xpensive. I hates Celeron to my guts and would never buy any system w/ that crappy Celeron. I wish Celeron would never exist!

I notice AMD Athlon XP boots up faster and better in Linux than does Intel (maybe it's a Celeron processor). Also I have AMD64 3500 2.2 Ghz(Venice Core) and using Abit AV8 board which is 100% Linux compatible. It boots quickly into Sabayon while Elitegroup ECS S4-2 (the one I found on street corner that someone threw away, real dumb of them cuz of wrong power supply hee hee hee. My "gold mine") w/ 2Ghz Celeron processor booted up slowly on same linux. Interesting.

About Intel crashing down on windows than AMD. I agree with the guy BUT I notice it's mostly INTEL CELERON!! not Pentum IV. Celeron have issue with Windows. Cuz Celeron is cheap Intel processor and it is missing many instruction set what Pentuim IV have. So it's make no difference to me if I buy AMD or Intel. I bought AMD because it's cheap while Intel Pentuim are xpensive. I hates Celeron to my guts and would never buy any system w/ that crappy Celeron. I wish Celeron would never exist!

How about AMD Duron or Sempron.. Are these same kind of problem with Celeron?

Ouch. I suppose his Pentium D computer would still be great to use, if only he'd know how to operate a computer. ;)

I don't want send on more than $700, also I know how to add or remove some stuff from computer's motherbound, such as replace different cpu (Pentium D into Core 2 Duo), graphic card (add Geforce 7600 or something and RAM (add other 1GB). I have some time to add to make powerful.

For now, I'm better to buy new computer because my old computer got screw up and a lot of slowdown, also I'm addicting to Windows Vista.

Right. Pacman can just get a great antivirus program for free like AVG, and if he's running Windows XP, get Zone Alarm Free, get Ad-aware SE and Spybot. He could make sure he scans for spyware. He could get the Adblock plus extension if he's running firefox, otherwise if he's running IE, I suggest he gets this:

Resources: Ad Blocking Resources

This will effectively block any site that's loaded with spyware ads, banner ads, etc. For instance if you have this installed, any banner ad you may see will disappear.

EDIT: Oh okay, I see that Pacman is running Vista. In that case, I would suggest he use a Readyboost USB drive. It will be like adding more external RAM to your computer and it will make Vista run much more faster.

Windows Vista: Features Explained: Windows ReadyBoost

I would suggest he buy a ReadyBoost compatible USB Drive such as this:

CompUSA.com: PNY 2GB Optima Pro Attache USB 2.0 Flash Drive Enhanced for Windows ReadyBoost - P-FD02GHSP-RF - Computer Upgrades » USB Flash Drives

I personally use this to speed up my laptop:

Kingston Technology Company - Flash Memory - DataTraveler ReadyFlash

I hope what I have said helps him with your Desktop.

Intel is low watt, AMD is raw power, required lot of watt to eat out of electric bill. yowza

IF you can't make up your mind....get a iMac with intel Duo core 2 and run Mac OS X AND Windows Vista. If you want to be able to afford it, stop buying video games. ;) If you can't afford it, get a Mac Mini instead, though it has a weak video card. I noticed you can't make up your mind, you said that you wanted to get a Mac, now you want to buy a PC. IMac is a great all in one machine that CAN run both OS. ;)

There is good link. You can modified optional lists. Prices has variable depend on how you feel affordable buy computer. Here linkhttp://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/ultra7500.asp?v=d

There is good link. You can modified optional lists. Prices has variable depend on how you feel affordable buy computer. Here linkhttp://www.cyberpowerpc.com/system/ultra7500.asp?v=d

Cyber Power PC is not a good company. They use fishy power supplies and questionable quality brands.

Here's what I recommend: Intel will reduce their prices on April 22, 2007 reducing the cost of their CPU (20%-40% off). You're better off getting an Intel system with that reduction in cost. But also keep in mind that if you plan on playing DX10 games, you're better off waiting for the DX10 generation video cards. The one I am recommending is DX9-based (as all video cards out there today are). nVidia will come out with video cards later this month (not sure when). This isn't to say that DX9-based video cards can't play DX10-based games but you will not be able to use DX10-only features. But for me, as a competitive gamer, I do not care for graphics, so a 7600 GT would suffice for me.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86 GHz) - Overclockable~
Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Duo E6300 Conroe 1.86GHz 2M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 Processor - Retail
$181 (if with 20% reduction cost; $144)

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3
Newegg.com - GIGABYTE GA-965P-DS3 LGA 775 Intel P965 Express ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
$123

RAM: G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-PIN DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory - Retail
$130

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS 320GB 16MB Cache SATA
Newegg.com - Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM
$85

DVD-RW: Samsung Black 18X DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology
Newegg.com - SAMSUNG Black 18X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 8X DVD+R DL 18X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 12X DVD-RAM 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner With LightScribe Technology - OEM
$40

GPU: BFG Tech GeForce 7600 GT (BFGR76256GTOCE)
Newegg.com - BFG Tech BFGR76256GTOCE GeForce 7600GT 256MB 128-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
$143 (if with mail-in rebate; $113)

PSU: Enhance ENP-5150GH - Highly recommended; PSU is the most important component in a system!
eWiz.com Enhance ENP-5150GH 500W ATX12V Rev.2.2 (24/20+8/4+6), 80+ RoHS, Quiet PSU
$69

CASE: Cooler Master Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black
Newegg.com - COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel, SECC ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
$50

Bottom Line Price: $821 (if you factor in the 20% reduction cost and mail-in rebate; $754)

My rule is to never include software costs with hardware. Adding Windows Vista (OEM) is up to you! Just add the cost of the OS on top.

You forgot about hard drive, also DVD drive and CD drive (RW, Recordable) if build the PC.

My computer is about 80GB, that looks whacked...

You can use your old computer's hard drive and dvd burner. It's work good.

IF you can't make up your mind....get a iMac with intel Duo core 2 and run Mac OS X AND Windows Vista. If you want to be able to afford it, stop buying video games. ;) If you can't afford it, get a Mac Mini instead, though it has a weak video card. I noticed you can't make up your mind, you said that you wanted to get a Mac, now you want to buy a PC. IMac is a great all in one machine that CAN run both OS. ;)

I agreed with him. I love Apple computers. I don't hate IBM PC. It is just my choice. Actually, I do not have a problem with my Apple computer for two years. It is a quite expensive, but it is worth it which last a long time. My opinion is that Apple is more flexible than IBM PC. I suggest you to buy a LCD monitor instead of a tube monitor because it makes your eyes less stress. (LCD montor is better if you have between 17" to 20.")

Let you know that I have an Apple G5 desktop, 20 inches LCD monitor, and HP PSC 2410 photosmart printer (All-in-one printer such as fax, printing, scanner, and a digital camera slots).

You can use your old computer's hard drive and dvd burner. It's work good.

I recommend that. Even 80 GB is plenty if you aren't planning on doing any specialized work such as video editing.

If you're going to use your hard drive and optical drive, then your price will be reduced to: $696 (if you factor in the 20% reduction cost and mail-in rebate; $629)

Back