HELP! How to remove Windows Server immediately?

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was doing well in my online classes when major disaster hit.

One of my classes required installing a so-called virtual environment on my PC in order to do future labs. The problem is, it wasn't so "virtual." Apparantly, this Windows Server 2008 wiped out my Windows 7 and took over everything. Now, I have no files or applications or software or access to my online labs. I can't turn in any of my course work, so by 11:59 tonight I will get zeroes for my labs.

I tried switching to my MacBookPro but the MOAC labs don't accept Safari, Chrome, or Firefox. All work must be done on Internet Explorer.

I tried using my netbook Windows 7 but the labs kept crashing and finally locked up.

I need to get my Windows 7 PC back to where it was last week. What do I do?

I've been emailing and voicemailing my instructors, and posting on the class discussion board for days but no one has responded. :(

do a system restore and set it to the date and time before you tried to change everything.

Oh wow, please email the instructor really quickly and you shouldn't receive 0 for technical issues.

I lost some data that related to college when my old external HDD died in few months ago and the professor gives me more time to finish the assignments after lost them.

How many HDD or partition that you have? If you have only one so it is out of lucky because Windows Server will overwrite everything and dump the Windows 7.

I think that your college should make all browser friendly instead of require IE only.

Are you closer or far from computer labs at school?

do a system restore and set it to the date and time before you tried to change everything.

I'm scared that system restore may not help if Windows 7 is already overwritten and dumped by Windows Server.

Won't works like that way. It's for exactly SAME OS only.

Oh wow, please email the instructor really quickly and you shouldn't receive 0 for technical issues.

I lost some data that related to college when my old external HDD died in few months ago and the professor gives me more time to finish the assignments after lost them.

How many HDD or partition that you have? If you have only one so it is out of lucky because Windows Server will overwrite everything and dump the Windows 7.

I think that your college should make all browser friendly instead of require IE only.

Agreed with you.

I was doing well in my online classes when major disaster hit.

One of my classes required installing a so-called virtual environment on my PC in order to do future labs. The problem is, it wasn't so "virtual." Apparantly, this Windows Server 2008 wiped out my Windows 7 and took over everything. Now, I have no files or applications or software or access to my online labs. I can't turn in any of my course work, so by 11:59 tonight I will get zeroes for my labs.

I tried switching to my MacBookPro but the MOAC labs don't accept Safari, Chrome, or Firefox. All work must be done on Internet Explorer.

I tried using my netbook Windows 7 but the labs kept crashing and finally locked up.

I need to get my Windows 7 PC back to where it was last week. What do I do?

I've been emailing and voicemailing my instructors, and posting on the class discussion board for days but no one has responded. :(

VMware Fusion: Run Windows on Mac, Virtualization for Mac Lion

You can install free vmware on your macbook Pro for 30 days.

Windows 7 Enterprise | Trial, Evaluation, Test, Download

You can use Windows 7 64bit for 90 days.

So download Windows 7 from microsoft.com website and you should see w7bit64.ISO or something like that. then open vmware and use file ISO then install it and should take around 30min depend on your Macbook Pro speed.

No worry. Windows 7 on Vwmare won't destory your data. It's just virtual. VMware is more safety than Apple boot camp for foolproof.

Good luck

I use Vmware on my 5 years old Macbook and it works great for Windows 7 for just windows software and IE.

So download Windows 7 from microsoft.com website and you should see w7bit64.ISO or something like that. then open vmware and use file ISO then install it and should take around 30min depend on your Macbook Pro speed.

No worry. Windows 7 on Vwmare won't destory your data. It's just virtual. VMware is more safety than Apple boot camp for foolproof.

Good luck

I use Vmware on my 5 years old Macbook and it works great for Windows 7 for just windows software and IE.
It is free VMware Windows Enterprise that I installed.

Scratch that, you just overposted me. lol

I hope you can get your PC fixed before midnight.

It sounds like you installed this on a regular PC laptop (not a Mac?).

Sounds like Win Server 08 installed over Win 7, instead of installing as a virtual machine?

Did you have your Win7 machine backed up?

Are you sure Win Server was installed on your virtual machine, instead of directly over your Win 7 installation?

If you have a little extra cash, probly the Geek Squad can help?

Uhh, no. Don't even mention that! My sister took her laptop to Geek Squad and they screwed up her laptop. When she was in town and she had me look at it. It look like Geek Squad have no clue how to fix her laptop. They even pushed her to buy Windows 7 Home and claimed that it would fixed her problem, but her laptop is Windows Vista Ultimate! And it doesn't fix her problem, but it got worse! Yes, I fixed her laptop...

I would stay away from them, period.

Were you able to get today's assignments in?

I think from what it sounds Reba might also need a recovery software to retrieve files/apps or anything that is needed from the Win7 installation... it requires IE only because her accounts is with microsoft labs, and that site needs IE only because of activeX controls in it.. it's either virtual image or real installation, no choice except to use IE.

Scratch that, you just overposted me. lol

I hope you can get your PC fixed before midnight.
Didn't happen. The best I could do was borrow a laptop from my SIL. By the time I got it, set up files, installed the labs, etc., I had only enough time to finish one of the two labs before time ran out and the labs were locked. Better than nothing but far from satisfactory for my grade.

It sounds like you installed this on a regular PC laptop (not a Mac?).
The VMware was installed on the family desktop PC Windows 7.

Sounds like Win Server 08 installed over Win 7, instead of installing as a virtual machine?
'Fraid so. :(

Did you have your Win7 machine backed up?
Somewhat.

Are you sure Win Server was installed on your virtual machine, instead of directly over your Win 7 installation?
It was supposed to be virtual but I don't think it is.

These were the instructions that I followed:

Virtual Environment Instructions

A virtual environment is a good way to have access to the operating systems used in the classes you take in the Network Systems Management classes. Using a virtual environment means that you do not need to repartition your home computer’s hard drive thus losing all of the stuff you have on your computer. Virtual operating systems are actually just files on the hard drive. You do need enough disk space and RAM to make the environment work.
RAM: You must have enough RAM in your computer to not only run your host operating system but also each virtual operating system that you plan on running. If your home computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium then you should have at least 2GB of RAM and preferably 4GB of RAM. This varies based on the whether you have a 64-bit or 32-bit architecture system.
Disk Space: You will also need sufficient disk space for each of your virtual machines. The file space required for Windows 7 Professional and Windows Server 2008 installed simultaneously in VMWare Player will start at 16GB and will rise as the course proceeds.

If you are enrolled in a Microsoft based course you will have access to the MSDNAA web site. This web site has all of the Microsoft operating systems that you will need for your course. You will receive an email from e-Academy after the end of drop/add period with instructions on how to logon to the web site. The files that you will download from the MSDNAA site are disk image files. They will have a file extension of .iso. This is the file that would be found for the Windows Server 2008 DVD. en_windows_server_2008_datacenter_enterprise_standard_x64_dvd_X14-26714.iso

You should burn this file to a DVD using the option that allows you to create a DVD from an image file on your disk drive. This will give you a bootable DVD disk just as if you had bought it from a store. The process of getting to download the applications from the web site is just like any process you would go through on an e-commerce site. You will add your shopping choices to a shopping cart and then check out. As long as you choose the download option your “purchase” will be free. I would only place one order at a time as the download time is very long since the size of the file is over 2GB. Do not try to download at the college as the bandwidth at the college is limited and heavily used. The download at the college could easily take more than 5 hours.

The program we use that makes the virtual environment possible is VMware Player. It is a free download from the VMware web site.

Basic Steps to create your environment after downloading all the files you need and burning your DVDs.

1. Install VMware Player

2. From VMware Player “Home” choose

a. Create a New Virtual Machine

b. Set the Install From: option.
i. Use either your DVD that you created or Choose Installer disc image which can be found in C:\Temp unless you changed the default download option.
ii. In order to install the OS without just the basic features, deselect the quick install option.

c. On the next screen you will be prompted for three items.
i. Enter the product key (The product key is given to you on the MSDNAA web
site. You should print that sheet before you leave the web site. If you forget you can always go back and find it later.)
ii. Choose the version that you will install. (For the server we will use Enterprise edition)
iii. Under Personalize Windows enter your desired user name and password. (The OS requires a complex password)
iv. Click Next

d. Enter the name you wish to give your virtual machine and the location where the virtual machine files will be saved.
i. Click Next

e. The next screen asks for the Maximum Disk size for the virtual machine. You can leave that at the default size. You can also use the “Store virtual disk as a single file.” Option.
i. Click Next

f. The next screen shows a summary of settings for your virtual machine. You can change them now or in most settings change these after the machine is installed. When you click finish here VMware Player will start the install. It will look like a normal install except that your host operating system is not changed.

Uhh, no. Don't even mention that! My sister took her laptop to Geek Squad and they screwed up her laptop. When she was in town and she had me look at it. It look like Geek Squad have no clue how to fix her laptop. They even pushed her to buy Windows 7 Home and claimed that it would fixed her problem, but her laptop is Windows Vista Ultimate! And it doesn't fix her problem, but it got worse! Yes, I fixed her laptop...

I would stay away from them, period.
It's not a hardware problem, so I don't think it would be useful to take it to the Geek Squad.

I did try to contact both instructors but I haven't heard back.

One. :(

The online lab vendor that they use is the dictator of the browser requirement.

The main campus lab is about a 35 minute drive. It's very inconvenient and stressful which is why I want an online class.

Good luck

I'll check that when I've gotten some sleep first. :ty:

If you followed this, I'm thinking you still have your Win7 machine, and Serever 08 was installed as a virtual.

If you turn off your computer and turn it on again, what OS boots up? Win7 or Server?

These were the instructions that I followed:

Virtual Environment Instructions

A virtual environment is a good way to have access to the operating systems used in the classes you take in the Network Systems Management classes. Using a virtual environment means that you do not need to repartition your home computer’s hard drive thus losing all of the stuff you have on your computer. Virtual operating systems are actually just files on the hard drive. You do need enough disk space and RAM to make the environment work.
RAM: You must have enough RAM in your computer to not only run your host operating system but also each virtual operating system that you plan on running. If your home computer is running Windows 7 Home Premium then you should have at least 2GB of RAM and preferably 4GB of RAM. This varies based on the whether you have a 64-bit or 32-bit architecture system.
Disk Space: You will also need sufficient disk space for each of your virtual machines. The file space required for Windows 7 Professional and Windows Server 2008 installed simultaneously in VMWare Player will start at 16GB and will rise as the course proceeds.

If you are enrolled in a Microsoft based course you will have access to the MSDNAA web site. This web site has all of the Microsoft operating systems that you will need for your course. You will receive an email from e-Academy after the end of drop/add period with instructions on how to logon to the web site. The files that you will download from the MSDNAA site are disk image files. They will have a file extension of .iso. This is the file that would be found for the Windows Server 2008 DVD. en_windows_server_2008_datacenter_enterprise_standard_x64_dvd_X14-26714.iso

You should burn this file to a DVD using the option that allows you to create a DVD from an image file on your disk drive. This will give you a bootable DVD disk just as if you had bought it from a store. The process of getting to download the applications from the web site is just like any process you would go through on an e-commerce site. You will add your shopping choices to a shopping cart and then check out. As long as you choose the download option your “purchase” will be free. I would only place one order at a time as the download time is very long since the size of the file is over 2GB. Do not try to download at the college as the bandwidth at the college is limited and heavily used. The download at the college could easily take more than 5 hours.

The program we use that makes the virtual environment possible is VMware Player. It is a free download from the VMware web site.

Basic Steps to create your environment after downloading all the files you need and burning your DVDs.

1. Install VMware Player

2. From VMware Player “Home” choose

a. Create a New Virtual Machine

b. Set the Install From: option.
i. Use either your DVD that you created or Choose Installer disc image which can be found in C:\Temp unless you changed the default download option.
ii. In order to install the OS without just the basic features, deselect the quick install option.

c. On the next screen you will be prompted for three items.
i. Enter the product key (The product key is given to you on the MSDNAA web
site. You should print that sheet before you leave the web site. If you forget you can always go back and find it later.)
ii. Choose the version that you will install. (For the server we will use Enterprise edition)
iii. Under Personalize Windows enter your desired user name and password. (The OS requires a complex password)
iv. Click Next

d. Enter the name you wish to give your virtual machine and the location where the virtual machine files will be saved.
i. Click Next

e. The next screen asks for the Maximum Disk size for the virtual machine. You can leave that at the default size. You can also use the “Store virtual disk as a single file.” Option.
i. Click Next

f. The next screen shows a summary of settings for your virtual machine. You can change them now or in most settings change these after the machine is installed. When you click finish here VMware Player will start the install. It will look like a normal install except that your host operating system is not changed.

Back