Chief: Officer's behavior at hospital 'very embarrassing'

you don't know that. Officer didn't either. Just because he pulled over at hospital doesn't mean it's a crystal-clear case.

2 nurses were sent outdoors to explain that this person's mother in law was dying. What do you expect the officer to do? Not believe them?

Exactly!! Especially at the front door of a hospital!!

If the officer had a probical cause. Such as a crime was committed. Then I can see it.

But the officer did not want to see the fact that this family rushed to the hospital due to the fact a loved one that was dying.

No probrical cause to any other. The officer himself just found that the family is black.

Makes me wonder how the whole department would have found it if the " Suspect" was not a famious football player.

So sad!!

So ignorant of the officer.

And of the dept that the officer communicated with.

(for some reason I feel that I am misspelling the word problical).
:giggle: BOTTS!! Need a little help on a spell check! :wave:

you meant "PROBABLE." There are several indicators that warrant officer's action

1. the vehicle ran thru red light at HIGH SPEED
2. people running out of vehicle when stopped
3. people NOT COMPLYING with officer's order
4. 1 big guy with his hands partially in the pocket
5. the guy was being uncooperative and agitated

do you have any idea how many excuses the cop hears at routine traffic stop and then later it was all lie just simply because the drivers had arrest warrant or had drug/gun hidden in car? Alertness and Situation Control are what keep officers alive every single day... They have a family, you know?

Originally Posted by Jiro
They have a family, you know?

So does the person this officer detained. Thanks to the officer's actions, he was unable to say goodbye to his mother in law.

2 nurses were sent outdoors to explain that this person's mother in law was dying. What do you expect the officer to do? Not believe them?

reread my post #13. specifically -

and yes cop's common sense got erred when the security guard and nurse came by to tell the cop to let him go but still.... cop must control the situation and verify the whole situation - CALMLY COOPERATE AND COMPLY WITH OFFICER'S INSTRUCTION. Nobody did so... therefore cop is not in wrong. It doesn't matter if your mama is dying or not. It does not absolve you from breaking the law (running thru red light at high speed) either.

it also does not absolve you from disobeying officer's order.

it also does not absolve you from disobeying officer's order.

It also doesn't absolve this officer from being insensitive and refusing to let this person into the hospital to see his mother in law.

Like I said, if you were in this predicament, wouldn't you react the same way?

You'd act cool, calm and collected. NOT.

Originally Posted by Jiro
They have a family, you know?

So does the person this officer detained. Thanks to the officer's actions, he was unable to say goodbye to his mother in law.

here's a different side - thanks to driver's lack of cooperation, it cost him a time that he didn't have to spare.

I can't believe you're defending the behavior of this officer, Jiro.

Do you really expect someone to be calm in this kind of situation? How would YOU react if you were in this individual's shoes?

Apparently, the department thought this officer was out of line since they have taken action against him and are conducting an investigation.

This officer had an ego the size of Texas and totally obliterated any sense of decency he might (emphasis on the word might) have.

ever heard of.... PUBLIC RELATION? This guy is a NFL player... that means unnecessary amount of press attention on this police department. Which one is it worth it? simply apologize and move on? or wage a full-on legal battle and risk getting bad image from the community?

I know you can't see the police video but from my perspective, the situation was OUT OF CONTROL. 3 people running out of vehicle immediately when stopped and being agitated... disobeying officer's order. majority of time when people do that - it's because the criminals were running away. I have seen plenty of police videos and the end result wasn't pretty.

here's a different side - thanks to driver's lack of cooperation, it cost him a time that he didn't have to spare.

You've got to be kidding me. The officer was the one who was so gung-ho on checking for this individual's insurance.

You mean to tell me the person in question is to blame for his mother in law's death?

I'm appalled at your reasoning, Jiro.

It also doesn't absolve this officer from being insensitive and refusing to let this person into the hospital to see his mother in law.
the fact is simple - the vehicle ran thru red light at high speed and the people suddenly ran out of vehicle, ignoring the officer's order. what does it mean to you? SUSPECTED CRIMINALS! I'm glad you're not a police officer because you would be killed in a very short time in your LEO career.

Like I said, if you were in this predicament, wouldn't you react the same way?

You'd act cool, calm and collected. NOT.

actually I was and still always am. That's why I've never had a problem with the cop. I fully and completely understand the officer's POV.... no matter how urgent my situation is. You'd be surprised how much it'll do to sway the situation into your favor. Just because the guy pulled over at hospital doesn't mean it's an emergency situation. It could also mean he's trying to pull a clever trick on cop. Can you afford to guess it 50-50? answer is NO... officers are not willing to gamble with their life. Like I said - 4 dead Oakland officers.... from a simple routine traffic stop. Think about it.

You've got to be kidding me. The officer was the one who was so gung-ho on checking for this individual's insurance.

You mean to tell me the person in question is to blame for his mother in law's death?

I'm appalled at your reasoning, Jiro.

you're looking at LATTER situation. Think about THE INITIAL situation. Like I said - you'd be VERY surprised how many criminals were caught from a simple traffic stop..... even from broken taillight or expired inspection sticker. Who knows? this guy may have a warrant on his file.

No. I'm sure the majority consensus here was that Mr. Ryan Moats was in the wrong place, at the wrong time. This can happen for anyone else and its not displayed as national news, just as far as some small town community paper thingmajig, or them going home complaining on their favorite forum.

What's the moral story deal with this? Overreaction to being at; again, the wrong place at the wrong time.. What we're seeing is the press feed. When you think simply and examine the situation rationally as if it happened to you and what is the duty a police officer is supposed to carry. A guy ran a red, the officer does not know why, they are showing signs of panic and anxiety while parked, should an officer play by the book or go with common sense? What if one of them had a gun?

Also I'm not sure if the Texan police force is as "stubborn" as society makes them to be as well, which could play another part.

If you believe in luck, then you also are guaranteed to believe there is something called unlucky.

Society these days. Even the crimefighters become villains.

ever heard of.... PUBLIC RELATION? This guy is a NFL player... that means unnecessary amount of press attention on this police department. Which one is it worth it? simply apologize and move on? or wage a full-on legal battle and risk getting bad image from the community?

Ever hear of EMPATHY? Something this officer should have displayed towards this person? What this officer did was inexcuseable and unprofessional.

This person being an NFL player has nothing to do with anything. NFL players are no different than you and I. They have feelings too -- especially when a loved one is dying.

Ever hear of EMPATHY? Something this officer should have displayed towards this person? What this officer did was inexcuseable and unprofessional.

This person being an NFL player has nothing to do with anything. NFL players are no different than you and I. They have feelings too -- especially when a loved one is dying.

Again - the officer did not know somebody was dying. Again - empathy is what gets cops killed. Again - walk a mile in officer's shoes... then you'll understand why you must treat every single situation as hostile until it's under control. From the police cam video - the situation was OUT OF CONTROL.

My mentioning of him being a NFL player has NOTHING to do with the situation at that time. I'm talking about his profession playing a factor in police department's P.R. situation.

But he didn't and that's that.

uh... how do you know? Officer does not know that either. it took him 20 min because the driver was uncooperative and agitated therefore - wasting his time and officer's time in controlling the situation... thus delaying the officer's ability to run the check on him.

I understand your reaction in this matter because you do not drive so you don't know what's it like. The cop always treat every routine traffic stop as hostile. Yes I've been pulled over many times and I do get treated as hostile. That's why you must remain calm and be cooperative... and he will do same for you. then everything will be fine and you will get on your way in no time.

It is possible that racism may have been played in this part of the sitaution.

It is very stupid and wrong. Even when two nurses were sent out to tell the cop that his mother in law is dying and he still give him a ticket. :roll: It's like he dont even know that he is a football player and it is that either he dont watch football or that he dont like black people.

In my opinon with no offense to the people living in Texas, I find Texas as a racist state somehow. I know not everyone in TX is but I find alot of them are...so it's not very surprising when possible racism is involved anyway.

uh... how do you know? Officer does not know that either. it took him 20 min because the driver was uncooperative and agitated therefore - wasting his time and officer's time in controlling the situation... thus delaying the officer's ability to run the check on him.

I understand your reaction in this matter because you do not drive so you don't know what's it like. The cop always treat every routine traffic stop as hostile. Yes I've been pulled over many times and I do get treated as hostile. That's why you must remain calm and be cooperative... and he will do same for you. then everything will be fine and you will get on your way in no time.

Jiro,

Excuse me, but just because I'm totally blind and have never driven before doesn't mean I don't understand what happens at a traffic stop. Really. It's not that complicated. An officer pulls you over, is either nice or rude, the driver gives his license, agrees to pay the ticket or appeal in traffic court and drives off. Don't make this situation more complicated than it is. This was a case of an officer clearly acting out of line when he had no reason to.

Back