Brain differences in political orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.
And any more will be struck down just as the example was, because you cannot side step the fact that calling for death in any crime that did not result in a death is excessive Especially in light of applying the conservative "eye for an eye" principle of justice.
That's not how the Supreme Court makes decisions.

I guess they could save a lot of time and money and just check with you first.

In the meantime those laws are still in effect, whether you agree with them or not.

That's not how the Supreme Court makes decisions.

I guess they could save a lot of time and money and just check with you first.

In the meantime those laws are still in effect, whether you agree with them or not.

I don't think I made any statements about procedure.:cool2: So your "how" comment makes no sense.

And here come the emotional reactions again.:lol:

I don't think I made any statements about procedure.:cool2: So your "how" comment makes no sense.

I guess when you can't deny my facts you can always pull the "emotional reactions" trick out of your hat. :cool2:

How many times has the death penalty been carried out, since being reinstituted in 1976, for an offense that was not murder?

This whole principle of death for a crime other than murder is in direct opposition to the "eye for an eye" justification that death penatly supporters generally use.:cool2: That is why the Supreme Court strikes it down as "excessive". It is based on an emotional need for revenge, not justice.

Jillio,

Do you have any idea where the term, "an eye for an eye" came from? It is from the Bible and that is what most of our justice was framed from such as the ten commandments.

Jillio,

Do you have any idea where the term, "an eye for an eye" came from? It is from the Bible and that is what most of our justice was framed from such as the ten commandments.

well, in that case then, a guy who kills a guy should be murdered, a guy who raped a woman should be raped, a woman who robbed should be robbed, a little boy who assaulted should be assaulted.

Eye for an eye is not the most ideal way to mete out justice.

and please stop bringing up the bible, religious discussions are not allowed on AD and secondly, I think we can all safely assume by now that you are a follower of the bible so no need to remind us of that in every post.

Jillio,

Whatever happened to turning the other cheek and letting him strike the other one?

What about people who change their political beliefs over the years? What does that mean?

Right. I have more times than I can count. I now consider myself a liberal leaning moderate. So, I don't know what this study says about someone who considers themselves a centrist. :dunno:

Right. I have more times than I can count. I now consider myself a liberal leaning moderate. So, I don't know what this study says about someone who considers themselves a centrist. :dunno:

Careful, you might have strangers blowing you into certain directions. :lol:

While the study is interesting, I think Kanai (who is credited on the study) summed it up best himself:

Still, Kanai cautioned against taking the findings too far, citing many uncertainties about how the correlations they see come about.
"It's very unlikely that actual political orientation is directly encoded in these brain regions," he said. "More work is needed to determine how these brain structures mediate the formation of political attitude." (Science Daily, April 7th, 2011)

While the study is interesting, I think Kanai (who is credited on the study) summed it up best himself:

Still, Kanai cautioned against taking the findings too far, citing many uncertainties about how the correlations they see come about.
"It's very unlikely that actual political orientation is directly encoded in these brain regions," he said. "More work is needed to determine how these brain structures mediate the formation of political attitude." (Science Daily, April 7th, 2011)

Exactly. Most of my (intended as humorous, but clearly not always received that way) comments above were trying to point out how foolish it is to take that research too far.

Charles Manson was not convicted of first degree murder.:cool2: But the emotion inherent in pulling such a controversial criminal out of your is obvious.

False confession is certainly not unheard of.:cool2:

What does John Wayne Gacy's transgender status have to do with the death penalty? Your emotion is showing again.:giggle:

Again, he was not convicted of first degree murder. That is the only crime for which a death sentence can be applied.

What purpose does it serve? It serves the principles of humane and civilized justice instead of an emotionally based need for retribution.

Re Charles Manson:

"On March 29, 1971, the jury completed deliberations on the penalty phase of the trial. Manson and the three female defendants had shaved their heads for the reading of their verdicts.

"'We, the jury in the above-entitled action, having found the defendant Charles Manson guilty of murder in the first degree...do now fix the penalty as death'."

Patricia Krenwinkel responded: "You have just judged yourselves."

"Better lock your doors and watch your own kids," Susan Atkins said.

All four defendants received the death penalty.

"...In 1972, the California Supreme Court abolished the death penalty in the state and all of the defendants are serving life sentences."

Charles Manson and the Manson Family — Verdict — Crime Library on truTV.com

And Charles Manson did not commit the murders. His followers did.

I think Reba has proven that he was convicted and sentenced to death in California. It got quiet after that. Admit you were wrong. It might shock the masses. I have admitted being wrong many times. It shows strength.

I am not a death-penalty lover. I would consider maybe 5% of death row cases to be truly worthy of execution. If you feel that every criminal deserves life as a sentence, good for you. When those same criminals sentence their victims to death, it somehow seems a bit unfair. Emotions or not, if you think I am somehow a brain-deficient Conservative because I want Manson executed live on pay-per-view, I would be proud to embrace that title.

I think Reba has proven that he was convicted and sentenced to death in California. It got quiet after that. Admit you were wrong. It might shock the masses. I have admitted being wrong many times. It shows strength.

I am not a death-penalty lover. I would consider maybe 5% of death row cases to be truly worthy of execution. If you feel that every criminal deserves life as a sentence, good for you. When those same criminals sentence their victims to death, it somehow seems a bit unfair. Emotions or not, if you think I am somehow a brain-deficient Conservative because I want Manson executed live on pay-per-view, I would be proud to embrace that title.

I'm the last person who would support the death penalty wholeheartedly. In fact, I believe the system is deeply flawed and needs to be overhauled. However, I believe the same as you do. There are SOME people who cannot be rehabilitated and should NOT have the priviledge to breathe the same air we do. Manson is one such person. The fact that he is bat crap crazy notwithstanding, he is SO instititionalized that he CAN'T be rehabilitated. He will likely die in prison, but there are many others like him who WILL be released given the fact that they have sentences that leaves open the chance of parole. That's a freaking scary thought in my mind.

I'm the last person who would support the death penalty wholeheartedly. In fact, I believe the system is deeply flawed and needs to be overhauled. However, I believe the same as you do. There are SOME people who cannot be rehabilitated and should NOT have the priviledge to breathe the same air we do. Manson is one such person. The fact that he is bat crap crazy notwithstanding, he is SO instititionalized that he CAN'T be rehabilitated. He will likely die in prison, but there are many others like him who WILL be released given the fact that they have sentences that leaves open the chance of parole. That's a freaking scary thought in my mind.

"Bat Crap Crazy" I love the new term I learned today!

I guess when you can't deny my facts you can always pull the "emotional reactions" trick out of your hat. :cool2:
Not a trick at all. Pure observation based on your response. So far, you haven't presented any facts to deny.:dunno2: But you do seem to get quite upset when the facts that you present are clarified using your own link.

I'm seeing evidence of greater volume in someone's amygdala.:giggle: Soo how you take a thread off topic with those personally directed emotional responses?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back