Brain differences in political orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Au contraire. I have a very good sense of humor, including self deprecating humor and repartee. I simply prefer humor that doesn't require belittling other people.

You seem to consider laughing "belittling". I would suggest that is an emotional reaction.

Au contraire. I have a very good sense of humor, including self deprecating humor and repartee. I simply prefer humor that doesn't require belittling other people.
As do I. I may belittle certain mindsets but not the people themselves. I have not seen jillio belittle you in any of her posts. Mind pointing those out?

And Charles Manson did not commit the murders. His followers did.

Point taken. I suppose that he could be considered an acessory to them? The whole thing still seems nightmarish to me - especially when I think of the late Susan Atkins' graphic description of how one of the victims died.

And the state of CA dropped the death penalty in 1972.
Yes, the state did after the court had found him guilty of murder in the first degree, and after the court had given him the death penalty.

I just wanted the facts to be accurate. :)

And Charles Manson did not commit the murders. His followers did.
Are you disagreeing with the verdict? Do you know more than the judge and jury?

Also:

"At a later date, Robert Beausoleil, Charles Manson, Charles Watson, Bruce Davis and Steve Grogan were tried and convicted for the murders of Gary Hinman and Donald (Shorty) Shea."

The case referenced in your link was struck down and excessive and inhumane punishment. The sentence was obviously handed down from an overly emotional perspective. That has no place in the justice system.
:roll: Scroll down the rest of the page. It isn't just about one case.

Other Statutes allowing the death penalty for non-murder crimes

Although no one is on death row for the following crimes, capital offenses exist in state law for various other crimes:

Treason (Arkansas, Calif., Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Washington)
Aggravated kidnapping (Co., Idaho, Il., Missouri, Mont.)
Drug trafficking (Fl., Missouri)
Aircraft hijacking (Ga., Mo.)
Placing a bomb near a bus terminal (Mo.)
Espionage (New Mexico)
Aggravated assault by incarcerated, persistent felons, or murderers (Mont.)

Federal capital statutes for non-murder crimes (no one on death row)

Espionage (18 U.S.C. 794)
Treason. (18 U.S.C. 2381)
Trafficking in large quantities of drugs (18 U.S.C. 3591(b))
Attempting, authorizing or advising the killing of any officer, juror,or witness in cases involving a Continuing Criminal Enterprise, regardless of whether such killing actually occurs. (18 U.S.C. 3591(b)(2))

:roll: Scroll down the rest of the page. It isn't just about one case.

Other Statutes allowing the death penalty for non-murder crimes

Although no one is on death row for the following crimes, capital offenses exist in state law for various other crimes:

Treason (Arkansas, Calif., Colorado, Georgia, Illinois, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, Washington)
Aggravated kidnapping (Co., Idaho, Il., Missouri, Mont.)
Drug trafficking (Fl., Missouri)
Aircraft hijacking (Ga., Mo.)
Placing a bomb near a bus terminal (Mo.)
Espionage (New Mexico)
Aggravated assault by incarcerated, persistent felons, or murderers (Mont.)

Federal capital statutes for non-murder crimes (no one on death row)

Espionage (18 U.S.C. 794)
Treason. (18 U.S.C. 2381)
Trafficking in large quantities of drugs (18 U.S.C. 3591(b))
Attempting, authorizing or advising the killing of any officer, juror,or witness in cases involving a Continuing Criminal Enterprise, regardless of whether such killing actually occurs. (18 U.S.C. 3591(b)(2))

How many times has the death penalty been carried out, since being reinstituted in 1976, for an offense that was not murder?

This whole principle of death for a crime other than murder is in direct opposition to the "eye for an eye" justification that death penatly supporters generally use.:cool2: That is why the Supreme Court strikes it down as "excessive". It is based on an emotional need for revenge, not justice.

You seem to consider laughing "belittling". I would suggest that is an emotional reaction.
Laughing at people is belittling. Laughing with people is not.

How many times has the death penalty been carried out, since being reinstituted in 1976, for an offense that was not murder?

This whole principle of death for a crime other than murder is in direct opposition to the "eye for an eye" justification that death penatly supporters generally use.:cool2: That is why the Supreme Court strikes it down as "excessive". It is based on an emotional need for revenge, not justice.

DNA testing nowadays have proven quite a few convicted people were actually innocent. Imagine the pain of their families if they had been electrocuted for a crime they'd never done - and they find this out after it was too late. This is why I'm against the death penalty (well, the other reason being "eye for an eye will make the world blind").

Laughing at people is belittling. Laughing with people is not.

Your interpretation is that I was laughing at people. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Nor do I generally give a lot of credibility to those who attempt to dictate how I should react to something I find humorous.:cool2:

That wasn't the statement to which I responded. Please don't get off track.

I merely corrected this assertion:

Originally Posted by jillio
Again, he was not convicted of first degree murder. That is the only crime for which a death sentence can be applied....

The death penalty has not currently been struck down nation wide by the Supreme Court. That's why executions are ongoing.

DNA testing nowadays have proven quite a few convicted people were actually innocent. Imagine the pain of their families if they had been electrocuted for a crime they'd never done - and they find this out after it was too late. This is why I'm against the death penalty (well, the other reason being "eye for an eye will make the world blind").

Exactly. There is no way to abolish the risk of executing an innocent person completely. And the risk of state sanctioned murder of one innocent person is too great a risk to take. It simply brings those responsible for carrying out justice to the level of the criminal they are executing.

Therein lies the difference in the more emotionally oriented conservative repsonse to crime and justice, and the broader, more logical response of the liberal thinker.

Yep. MLK.;)

Your interpretation is that I was laughing at people. Nothing could be further from the truth.

Nor do I generally give a lot of credibility to those who attempt to dictate how I should react to something I find humorous.:cool2:
Not dictating (that would be impossible anyway). Just observing (as you claim to do).

That wasn't the statement to which I responded. Please don't get off track.

I merely corrected this assertion:

Originally Posted by jillio
Again, he was not convicted of first degree murder. That is the only crime for which a death sentence can be applied....

The death penalty has not currently been struck down nation wide by the Supreme Court. That's why executions are ongoing.

It has been struck down for any crime other than murder. Your own link indicates that.

It has been struck down for any crime other than murder. Your own link indicates that.
Nope. Just that one category of child rape was decided.

The rest are still on the books.

Keep reading.

Nope. Just that one category of child rape was decided.

The rest are still on the books.

Keep reading.

And any more will be struck down just as the example was, because you cannot side step the fact that calling for death in any crime that did not result in a death is excessive Especially in light of applying the conservative "eye for an eye" principle of justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back