Blacks Struggle With 72 Percent Unwed Mothers Rate

Start with the book titled "Climbing Jacob's Ladder." It is a compilation of about 1,000 sociological studies concerning the black community. As you read through these studies, you will find resources for further study of those areas that are of particular interest to you.

Read it already....1997 I think. Hardly supports your position. More about the strength of the black families through slavery, civil war and reconstruction.

It blames economics for the plight of blacks. And suggests support for black especially single black parents rather than describing how the black family supports each other. It suggests aid rather than questioning why there are so many single black parents.

Basically the book says treat the symptom....not the problem.

Read it already....1997 I think. Hardly supports your position. More about the strength of the black families through slavery, civil war and reconstruction.

It blames economics for the plight of blacks. And suggests support for black especially single black parents rather than describing how the black family supports each other. It suggests aid rather than questioning why there are so many single black parents.

Basically the book says treat the symptom....not the problem.

I don't think you read the book I am speaking of. Either that, or you read something into it that wasn't there. While there is cultural history used as an extraneous variable in most of the actually studies included, it is alway used in any cultural study as it must be present to keep context clear.

Why are there so many white single parents? Why would you think that black single parents and white single parents are completely separate in their etiology?

The book I am referring to explains the social effects that have created black single parenthood, and examines policy that will prevent the increase in the future. And it has virtually nothing to do with aid.

Incorrect. The single parenthood is the sympton of a larger problem based in societal attitudes that create disparity and inequity across all scopes.

But I see where you got your description of the book. A perfect paraphrase of the description that can be found when Googling and clicking on the Amazon books link. I just did and and came back and edited my post to include this paragraph. LOL. I was skeptical of the fact that you claimed to have read it. Given many of your other posts, I could not see why you would sit down and read a lengthy and dry sociological meta analysis on African American culture unless you had a gun to your head. I see my skepticism was warranted.

I don't think you read the book I am speaking of. Either that, or you read something into it that wasn't there. While there is cultural history used as an extraneous variable in most of the actually studies included, it is alway used in any cultural study as it must be present to keep context clear.

Why are there so many white single parents? Why would you think that black single parents and white single parents are completely separate in their etiology?

The book I am referring to explains the social effects that have created black single parenthood, and examines policy that will prevent the increase in the future. And it has virtually nothing to do with aid.

Incorrect. The single parenthood is the sympton of a larger problem based in societal attitudes that create disparity and inequity across all scopes.

But I see where you got your description of the book. A perfect paraphrase of the description that can be found when Googling and clicking on the Amazon books link. I just did and and came back and edited my post to include this paragraph. LOL. I was skeptical of the fact that you claimed to have read it. Given many of your other posts, I could not see why you would sit down and read a lengthy and dry sociological meta analysis on African American culture unless you had a gun to your head. I see my skepticism was warranted.

Nope read the book...

Also read "Same Kind of Different as Me" in fact I know the authors of that book. I tend to see the plight that way.

You're being diplomatic. I would come right out and say "YOU LIE!!!" :lol:

Nope read the book...

Also read "Same Kind of Different as Me" in fact I know the authors of that book. I tend to see the plight that way.

Okay. Pick one of the research articles cited and we will discuss it in length.

I just did this to see what you saw.... Obviously I did not google or I would not have left out the bold..... :laugh2:

From Publishers Weekly
In this companion to Black Families in White America (1968), sociologist Billingsley addresses the strengths and weaknesses of African American families, concluding that their strengths are "by far more powerful and contain the seeds of their survival and rejuvenation." Drawing on many studies and using numerous charts, the author first discusses African American family structure, then goes on to consider the legacy from Africa, family patterns during slavery and after, and the rise and fall of the black working class. Stressing the African American family's adaptiveness, he shows how the extended family, as well as community institutions, can serve as stepping stones to success. The black church, self-help and government, he writes, can all play a part in bolstering the African American family. Although Billingsley argues that forces in society lead to single-parent families, he glosses over the epidemic of teenage pregnancy. A chapter on single mothers includes only success stories, and his contention that African American youths value marriage and stability pivots on an observation made by a sociologist in 1967.
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc. --This text refers to an out of print or unavailable edition of this title.

Pretty relevant to this thread though.....Thanks for the link.

Okay. Pick one of the research articles cited and we will discuss it in length.

"The time has come," the Walrus said,
To talk of many things:
Of shoes---of ships---of sealing wax---
Of cabbages---and kings---
And why the sea is boiling hot---
And whether pigs have wings."

To talk of many things:

You have to wait....The oysters have had too many happy meals....

I just did this to see what you saw.... Obviously I did not google or I would not have left out the bold..... :laugh2:

Pretty relevant to this thread though.....Thanks for the link.

Yeah, right.:laugh2: And I didn't provide a link.

To talk of many things:

I love Alice through the Looking Glass. Jaberwocky is still one of my favorites.

"T'was slimy and the brillig toves
Did gyre and gimble in the wavs..."

Why would I leave out the most damning opinion if I had done as you said?????

Me thinks he doth protest too much.

Like I said, pick one of the research articles cited in a chapter, and we will discuss it at length.

Yeah, right.:laugh2: And I didn't provide a link.

Yeah.....Kinda did.

Like I said, pick one of the research articles cited in a chapter, and we will discuss it at length.

Why don't you pick out one you feel supports your claim.

Yeah.....Kinda did.

No kinda to it. I did not provide a link. And if you consider that a link, then when I say that I read it and provide an author or a book title or a course name, then it should be sufficient information for you to stop demanding a "link".

Sure.

Let discuss how the Catholic Church handled the black plague in Middle Ages Italy.

Oh, oh, oh...

Or how more males than females were prosecuted for witchcraft in Nordic countries.

Back