AB2072 passed

How can they possible being open to a bill that has "obvious eugenic overtones" and has been compared to Nazi Germany??? That doesn't make sense........unless....wait, could they have been overstating it and faning the flames with undo rhetoric???

They probably did some quick reading and have relaxed things and are negotiating. Why would you care as the ALL OPTIONS are still there and will stay there in all their glory, lol.....

They probably did some quick reading and have relaxed things and are negotiating. Why would you care as the ALL OPTIONS are still there and will stay there in all their glory, lol.....

I'm happy it passed. My problem was with the reaction andd the rhetoric being spewed against it. I would think that eeryone would support full information being given to parents....guess not :shock:

And what exactly were they?

Geeze, FJ...read some news sources. Your concern is the ALL OPTIONS portion, anyway, according to you. Some of us are concerned about the social impact on the deaf community. That is why the discussion is ongoing. You got what you wanted. What is your problem?

CA Senator Elaine K. Alquist is the speaking head from committee, was really thorough with her opinions.

The witness testimonies for the PRO-bill were really flakey, except for the third woman who spoke for her two six year old twins who were implanted with CI's at 4 years old. She said that she felt sign language didn't fit her lifestyle and families.

I also did a count of the audience testimonies:

• 29 for support of the bill.
• 97 against the bill unless amended.. + / - a few numbers, might've messed up a few counts somewhere.

Senator Alquists' comments starts at around 50 minutes in. The other senators' come in shortly thereafter.

I'm happy it passed. My problem was with the reaction andd the rhetoric being spewed against it. I would think that eeryone would support full information being given to parents....guess not :shock:

Its not the ALL OPTIONS portion that so many are objecting to.

And what exactly were they?

I believe that the eugenics period of this State actually happened. Not sure if it even included the deaf. Most people here, including myself didn't know about that sordid period of California's history. Same with some of those politicians.The specifics aren't important anymore as the politicos are probably seeing that the opposition's objections are really steeped in education, way beyond the medical. This was the basis for at least one of the concessions: Moving this to the Dept of Education and away from Disabilities or Mental Health...wherever it resided before.

That was prolly the thing that woke them up so what's the problem with that?

I believe that the eugenics period of this State actually happened. Not sure if it even included the deaf. Most people here, including myself didn't know about that sordid period of California's history. Same with some of those politicians.The specifics aren't important anymore as the politicos are probably seeing that the opposition's objections are really steeped in education, way beyond the medical. This was the basis for at least one of the concessions: Moving this to the Dept of Education and away from Disabilities or Mental Health...wherever it resided before.

Bingo. This bill was evidence of the push toward medicalization.

Geeze, FJ...read some news sources. Your concern is the ALL OPTIONS portion, anyway, according to you. Some of us are concerned about the social impact on the deaf community. That is why the discussion is ongoing. You got what you wanted. What is your problem?

Damn right I want ALL OPTIONS! My audiologist told me that if my daughter didn't learn to speak it was because I was a lazy mom. I was given a folder that said that "spoken language is the birthright of every child". That is the kind of BS that the bill and ALL OPTIONS will end.

That was prolly the thing that woke them up so what's the problem with that?

It's crap and it makes you look like a fool. If you start with that garbage, even if you have good points, people won't listen.

Damn right I want ALL OPTIONS! My audiologist told me that if my daughter didn't learn to speak it was because I was a lazy mom. I was given a folder that said that "spoken language is the birthright of every child". That is the kind of BS that the bill and ALL OPTIONS will end.

There ya go but its been there this whole time! :lol:

No it won't. They can still give that BS info. They just have to include ASL info, too. Somewhere buried in the back of the brochure and limited to one paragraph. The scope of practice needs to be limited for audis.

So why are you now arguing against the revisions unrelated to ALL OPTIONS?

I'm not. I haven't argued against any of it. (Other than killing the bill all together) I have always said that the two sides need to come together and make the bill work.

I'm not. I haven't argued against any of it. (Other than killing the bill all together) I have always said that the two sides need to come together and make the bill work.

Then what are you arguing? That is exactly what is happening.

Here is a simple question so I'd understand both sides better.

For those who are anti-AB2072, would you okay the bill if 80% of the brochure starting from the beginning talked about ASL, Deaf culture, and deaf schools?

Back