A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

4 days ago - I nearly lost my right leg. It was a very close call. I broke my own rule - never ride drowsy. I was very exhausted and I was on my way home from deaf motorcycle club meeting. I was only about 10 min away from home. I was dozing just for a moment and then at the curve, I just happened to wake up just before I was heading toward a guardrail. My quick reaction got me to turn quickly but it was just a little too late. I sideswiped against a guardrail and kept on going. It was like a quick second of impact. that was a really really really close call..... whew.....

fortunately.... it was just a little scrape on my knee but below my knee was swollen and painful. a big bruise. felt as if I got checked (hockey word) against the wall. I can walk and I still ride but I just can't put pressure on my right leg. I think I may have a microfractures or it's just big bad bruise. :mad2:

4 days ago - I nearly lost my right leg. It was a very close call. I broke my own rule - never ride drowsy. I was very exhausted and I was on my way home from deaf motorcycle club meeting. I was only about 10 min away from home. I was dozing just for a moment and then at the curve, I just happened to wake up just before I was heading toward a guardrail. My quick reaction got me to turn quickly but it was just a little too late. I sideswiped against a guardrail and kept on going. It was like a quick second of impact. that was a really really really close call..... whew.....

fortunately.... it was just a little scrape on my knee but below my knee was swollen and painful. a big bruise. felt as if I got checked (hockey word) against the wall. I can walk and I still ride but I just can't put pressure on my right leg. I think I may have a microfractures or it's just big bad bruise. :mad2:

Every rider should have that rule! I hope you're okay and glad you still have that leg! I don't at all if I'm sleepy, but I know how I get too... Where I say "oh I can make it, I don't want to leave my bike here." Hope your bike is okay too. I know I ride a smaller bike so it would have been messed up pretty bad with a swipe like that. =(

Either way, glad you're okay, and hopefully you'll get more sleep from now on! :hug:

4 days ago - I nearly lost my right leg...

Glad you're OK. Hope you heal soon. If not, get the doctor to check it.

Hey Jiro: Get better soon.

Traded in my 18 year old Nighthawk for this last night. Now we can meet up for a camping trip next spring in the Adirondacks or in the Blue Ridges.

2011 with ABS, 6K miles, factory bags & rack, Madstad bracket included.

0830132025-L.jpg

why dont see motor bikes with sidecars i loved riding in them...is there some danger reason

Traded in my 18 year old Nighthawk for this last night. Now we can meet up for a camping trip next spring in the Adirondacks or in the Blue Ridges.

0830132025-L.jpg

lol you're the 2nd person I know who has traded in for vstrom. now I need to find me a beast.

They are a little harder to maneuver but mostly it's because the riders don't like sitting so low. Sometimes I see sidecars with dogs riding in them.

Trikes are becoming more popular for motorcycle passengers. The back seat is becoming more comfortable and stable.

https://www.google.com/search?q=tri...biw=1920&bih=908#q=motorcycle+trikes&tbm=isch

Yes, the safest trikes are made in a factory and engineered for safety and comfort. Do not consider a home-made trike because its most likely not been engineered. Among the more notable of about a handful of well made trike companies is California Sidecar and Trikes. I don't think they make sidecars anymore. They are now based in Virginia.

Trikes are also becoming more popular with former bikers who now have medical issues and the desire to ride is still burning....enter a second chapter, lol.....

they do look great fun to travel in....my friend riding harly davidson,she 63 and learn how to ride one,i think good on her,only one life dont know until you try

lol you're the 2nd person I know who has traded in for vstrom. now I need to find me a beast.

FYI, Pete's Cycles of Baltimore, MD has a brand-new 2011 650ABS leftover in stock, same color as mine, for $6200 total before t/t/t. You probably would spend about $2K on accessories & mods to make it lower & comfy...total is still a lot less than others.

Checked out a new Triumph Tiger 800....damn, that was nice. Price wasn't nice, though...Super Tenere is a heavy beast....

0830132025-L.jpg

I ride a 14 year old Ninja 500 and live in the blue ridge mountains, maybe you'll see me if you ride through here since my bike is my main mode of transportation.

FYI, Pete's Cycles of Baltimore, MD has a brand-new 2011 650ABS leftover in stock, same color as mine, for $6200 total before t/t/t. You probably would spend about $2K on accessories & mods to make it lower & comfy...total is still a lot less than others.

Checked out a new Triumph Tiger 800....damn, that was nice. Price wasn't nice, though...Super Tenere is a heavy beast....

what's the seat height of your bike? it looks like 31-32" I would prefer 30"

Having bike problems, I suspect its something in the electrical area, but I need to test the battery before I can get a more accurate idea of what is going on. Right now, I suspect the charging system is faulty.

Having bike problems, I suspect its something in the electrical area, but I need to test the battery before I can get a more accurate idea of what is going on. Right now, I suspect the charging system is faulty.

me too :mad2:

my lights (headlight + dashboard) are just flickering while idling but are fine when riding. gotta check my wiring and ensure that everything's tightened and bolted properly

This morning, before 8 a.m., there was a fatal motorcycle vs. SUV accident at our subdivision entrance (about one mile from our house). TCS saw the aftermath. He was driving to work and couldn't leave thru the entrance. He had to double back to the secondary entrance (there are only two ways out, and they both open onto the same road, which is where the accident was). The whole road was shut down in both directions.

We hope we don't know the dead rider. Don't have the details yet. TCS couldn't see the bike, only the SUV.

This morning, before 8 a.m., there was a fatal motorcycle vs. SUV accident at our subdivision entrance (about one mile from our house). TCS saw the aftermath. He was driving to work and couldn't leave thru the entrance. He had to double back to the secondary entrance (there are only two ways out, and they both open onto the same road, which is where the accident was). The whole road was shut down in both directions.

We hope we don't know the dead rider. Don't have the details yet. TCS couldn't see the bike, only the SUV.

Update:

Motorcyclist involved in fatal Summerville wreck - Live5News.com | Charleston, SC | News, Weather, Sports

from a witness:

"I came on the accident minutes after it happened. I sat at the light going toward Summerville (away from Oakbrook). The SUV was going the same way and turned into Irongate. Traffic was light! It was not even 7 am yet. Look at the pictures! This was not a situation where the motorcycle was behind a car.The cycle hit him square between the front and back door. Accidents happen but people simply are in too big a hurry and do not pay attention! Now the poor guy driving the SUV will live with this memory for ever and the cyclist's family and friends will miss him forever. People need to open their eyes and pay attention - a car is a bigger weapon than a gun! I sat at the light crying as the Summerville Police officer lay on the ground trying to talk to the fallen. Thank you Officer for being with him. God bless you all and be safe out there."

Last edited:
Got home this evening from a memorial service for a SC Patriot Guard Rider (PGR) Senior Ride Captain and Marine Corps veteran (Vietnam) who passed away after a long illness. The location is Murrells Inlet, SC (just south of Myrtle Beach). These pictures show how many people loved and respected him. I was able to skip the flag line and take photos.

Attachments

• DSCN0614.jpg
    DSCN0614.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN0617.jpg
    DSCN0617.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 3
  • DSCN0624.jpg
    DSCN0624.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0625.jpg
    DSCN0625.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0626.jpg
    DSCN0626.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN0657.jpg
    DSCN0657.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 4
  • DSCN0671.jpg
    DSCN0671.jpg
    99.3 KB · Views: 6
  • DSCN0677.jpg
    DSCN0677.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 4
Just got my bike back on the road for the moment, I'm going to enjoy the last month or so of riding before it goes away for the winter.

yesterday afternoon in NYC - I drove past a massive "Block Party"... which is a bunch of motorcycle lawless hooligans terrorizing the streets. :mad2:

from last year -

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G_6hAorRKUw]Hollywood Block Party 2012 Times Square NYC - YouTube[/ame]

Back