A diesel discussion thread

Yea
Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:CDL and CMV Information

You can see:

Exempt Vehicles:

Recreation vehicles used for recreational purposes.
Military vehicles driven by military personnel.
Firefighting equipment.
Emergency Snow Plowing during emergency snow removal operations.
Farm vehicle when controlled and operated by a farmer within 150 miles of the person's farm.

Ahhh, I see.

I sure miss drivin '85 VW Jetta Diesel. One of best car I ever had. I could get 60 Miles to a gallon with this car! It just run and run and run as if it never ends. I can't really speeding on this car, it is slow poke like 18 wheelers. If had Diesel again in VW jetta, I would not mind buy it. I don't want TDI (Turbo Diesel).

I used to have a 1979 rabbit diesel.. yea it got 60 mpg easy, and yea it was slow on acceleration.. but I guess you haven't driven VW new TDI's? the Turbo direct Injected Diesels...I owem a 205 VW TDI PD (no longer avaliable)

they are fast, don't smoke, start up in cold weather in only 5 seconds of glow plug use..they drive just like a gasoline powered car but get about 45 mpg easy... more if your not a lead foot driver like me..

also the TDI take 60,000 to 80,000 miles for rings / valve seats to "break in" the engines last 400,000 to 500,000 miles easy only maintenance is change oil every 10,000 miles, change fuel filter every 20,000 miles that's it.

go check out the new 2010 VW TDI's

Does the rest of that car last as long as the engine? It takes a while for a non-professional driver to put 500K miles on a car.

I used to have a 1979 rabbit diesel.. yea it got 60 mpg easy, and yea it was slow on acceleration.. but I guess you haven't driven VW new TDI's? the Turbo direct Injected Diesels...I owem a 205 VW TDI PD (no longer avaliable)

they are fast, don't smoke, start up in cold weather in only 5 seconds of glow plug use..they drive just like a gasoline powered car but get about 45 mpg easy... more if your not a lead foot driver like me..

also the TDI take 60,000 to 80,000 miles for rings / valve seats to "break in" the engines last 400,000 to 500,000 miles easy only maintenance is change oil every 10,000 miles, change fuel filter every 20,000 miles that's it.

really? I never though of the break in run on the TDI engines for 60-80K miles. Wow. Break- in procedure for a new stock or high performance camshaft (hydraulic tappet type) in sbc (short block chevy) is to run 1,500 to 2,00 RPM for 25 minutes to settle with the lobes and lifters's contacts. This is a critical break-in procedure. If not follow the instruction, bye your fresh camshaft/ lifters in few minutes. Short live break in. Camshafts for roller hydraulic lifters are not require break in runs.

Pah got my own Turbo-diesel. It would be great experience with my new truck!

See how it goes, and yes it is very powerful, 570 ft lbs torque, meaning I could easily pull things where gas trucks can't pull.

Friend of mine told me that I can't believe but it is true. He was driving F-250 powerstroke hauling a mid size vehicle, while his other friend had a truck, E-350 with V-10 gas powered engine. Mind you, the powerstroke truck is heavier and is hauling car, while gas truck just bring furniture and clothes (Lighter), Both of these truck were filled at exact same location, then start travel together, same pace and everything. Guess which one runs out of fuel first? (Note: Both of these truck has same capacity tank for fuel) You guess it right, it is gas! Funny thing, that powerstroke still have 3/4 tank left. This shows that Diesel are more efficient than gas.

This is very true.
I hope it happens soon. The problem with these non-traditional energy sources is that we have a vast infrastructure in place already. Someday fossil fuels will run out and we will have to discontinue their use.

I hope it happens soon. The problem with these non-traditional energy sources is that we have a vast infrastructure in place already. Someday fossil fuels will run out and we will have to discontinue their use.

I doubt Diesel engine would discontinue their use. It'll be as useful even if fossil fuel runs out. Ever wonder why Military use Diesel engines just about every vehicle they have?? Because it's the only engine still running in the event of nuke bomb that took out electricity. Soybean, and many other "renewable" Biodiesel will still be there. I've seen Diesel engine that do not have any electrical parts on it except for glow plugs and starter. Old fashioned diesel engine only start with a crank, nothing else....

I've watched science channel few years ago that in Jungle, the woman driving big diesel truck runs out of diesel, she got off her truck and walked to Bamboo shoots and knock each section to find liquid filled inside of it, then using short pipe with sharp end and mallet. She hammered it to the stump and it filled the bucket then she poured it in the tank of truck then fired up and off she went..

Hydrocarbons, A.K.A. Gasoline would be gone and untold thousands of gasoline engine would be put out of use except if modified to use Ethanol from Corn, Algae, Soybeans ect.

So Diesel proved very useful than gasoline.

Did you watched Science channel show about "When Oil runs out". It is a great story of what if Gasoline runs out and what would happened around the world.

Catty

Yup, this is true. Diesel engines are capable of keeping running.

Diesel engine is fantastic machine.

I doubt Diesel engine would discontinue their use. It'll be as useful even if fossil fuel runs out. Ever wonder why Military use Diesel engines just about every vehicle they have?? Because it's the only engine still running in the event of nuke bomb that took out electricity. Soybean, and many other "renewable" Biodiesel will still be there. I've seen Diesel engine that do not have any electrical parts on it except for glow plugs and starter. Old fashioned diesel engine only start with a crank, nothing else....

I've watched science channel few years ago that in Jungle, the woman driving big diesel truck runs out of diesel, she got off her truck and walked to Bamboo shoots and knock each section to find liquid filled inside of it, then using short pipe with sharp end and mallet. She hammered it to the stump and it filled the bucket then she poured it in the tank of truck then fired up and off she went..

Hydrocarbons, A.K.A. Gasoline would be gone and untold thousands of gasoline engine would be put out of use except if modified to use Ethanol from Corn, Algae, Soybeans ect.

So Diesel proved very useful than gasoline.

Did you watched Science channel show about "When Oil runs out". It is a great story of what if Gasoline runs out and what would happened around the world.

Catty

Hey, I got more MPG on my huge truck diesel than what I used to get with my old Jeep. Found out I got 21 MPG on the highway, mind you my truck weights 10,500 pounds.

Right, I haven't drove TDI but yes I rode in VW Jetta TDI, I think 2001. It was nice and fast.

Yep maintenance is royal requirement on all diesels if you want it to last forever. Mine requires no more than 7,500 miles each oil changes. I'm not going to mess it up with my baby (Powerstroke)

Diehardbiker, do you plan to start a hauling business or what? 21 mpg is impressive for a big truck, ha.

Wrangler is not meant to be used like Honda CRV... which is why CRV can't do the job that Wrangler can.

Fuck Wrangler. Chevy silverado 4x4 is BIG and more MPG than tiny Wrangler. What a joke! I borrowed my father in law's 2003 Chevy silverado and drove to Chicago for carry a big load. It's got smooth at 80mph. I tried friend's old 2002 Wrangler and steering wheel got shake like crazy when it was only 60mph. Later, He can't stand with Jeep anymore and he got ride it due bad handle and mpg then he replaced it with Honda Accord V6. He love it so much. Wrangler is JUNK! Good thing diehardbiker got rid of Jeep too.

Honda CRV? What hell you talk about?

Fuck Wrangler. Chevy silverado 4x4 is BIG and more MPG than tiny Wrangler. What a joke! I borrowed my father in law's 2003 Chevy silverado and drove to Chicago for carry a big load. It's got smooth at 80mph. I tried friend's 2002 Wrangler and steering wheel got shake like crazy when it was only 60mph. Wrangler is JUNK! Good thing diehardbiker got rid of Jeep.

um.... Silverado and Wrangler are not even in same class. Those 2 vehicles should not even be used to compare with each other. Do you know what Wrangler is designed for?

um.... Silverado and Wrangler are not even in same class. Those 2 vehicles should not even be used to compare with each other. Do you know what Wrangler is designed for?

I don't care what you said. Silverado is heavy weight than Wrangler. Wrangler should get better MPG since it's light weight and tiny engine.

You missed the point, wrangler were designed capable of what most vehicle can't do. It does have alot pros in there.

What really happened is that my other cherokee had major issues and was able to fix cheaply. We were without that cherokee for a while and used Wrangler for family and it gets inconvienced due to baby seat. I realize that I need sumthin bigger and want go back to Diesel. So here I got it.

Wrangler can do what my powerstroke can't, however others that my powerstroke can but Wrangler can't.

Fuck Wrangler. Chevy silverado 4x4 is BIG and more MPG than tiny Wrangler. What a joke! I borrowed my father in law's 2003 Chevy silverado and drove to Chicago for carry a big load. It's got smooth at 80mph. I tried friend's old 2002 Wrangler and steering wheel got shake like crazy when it was only 60mph. Later, He can't stand with Jeep anymore and he got ride it due bad handle and mpg then he replaced it with Honda Accord V6. He love it so much. Wrangler is JUNK! Good thing diehardbiker got rid of Jeep too.

It is not tiny engine, 4.0L is tough motor for this Jeep. It got right gear ratio to handle off road but this cause poor mileage.

I don't care what you said. Silverado is heavy weight than Wrangler. Wrangler should get better MPG since it's light weight and tiny engine.

Back