A diesel discussion thread

Cleaner? Yes but power? Honesty, less power than regular Diesel so meaning less pulling power with Biodiesel.

Any source on that knowledge on power differences with biodiesel vs fossil diesel?

Same concept with alcohol, not all alcohol beverage has same potency, it is all about energy potency, Biodiesel has less energy potency than Fossil Diesel.

Beer has less alcohol in it than whiskey, right, so which one will burn hotter and faster? The answer is obviously.

Any source on that knowledge on power differences with biodiesel vs fossil diesel?

Im not saying your wrong. Just that I find it odd. If this holds true, then why didn't they make the change long time ago?

Also, with Ethanol and Gasoline, Ethanol actually offer less power than gasoline, and those who use Ethanol winded up use more gallon than the gasoline counterpart.

Living With Biodiesel - Dyno - Diesel Power Magazine

Biodiesel produces more power or similar power ratings according to this link. It doesn't mean biodiesel produces less BTU than the #2 diesel.

Im not saying your wrong. Just that I find it odd. If this holds true, then why didn't they make the change long time ago?

Also, with Ethanol and Gasoline, Ethanol actually offer less power than gasoline, and those who use Ethanol winded up use more gallon than the gasoline counterpart.

I do find it odd also and didn't understand why they didn't do that long time ago. I guess technology on that kind of chemistry didn't happen that time.

With same amount between regular Diesel and BioDiesel? That is the question we need to ask and find out. It would only make sense IF they used more BioDiesel to get same power as regular Diesel, so the efficency dropped considerable.

I do find it odd also and didn't understand why they didn't do that long time ago. I guess technology on that kind of chemistry didn't happen that time.

With same amount between regular Diesel and BioDiesel? That is the question we need to ask and find out. It would only make sense IF they used more BioDiesel to get same power as regular Diesel, so the efficency dropped considerable.

He used B99 biodiesel to test it. B99 means basically 99 percent biodiesel with 1 percent blend of fossil diesel.

Biodiesel fuel is a clean burning alternative fuel?
Biodiesel is not as great an alternative as it once was seen. Mainly because it competes with food sources, which drives up the prices for food. So you have energy needs and food needs competing for the same thing and demand usually leads to increased prices, which hurts consumers.

There was a big biodiesel start up in Grays Harbor, Washington that isn't doing as well nowadays.

That is what I thought, now if you wonder why corn prices, meat prices had skyrocket in the last few years? That is because demand for Ethanol had shot up, which result farmer not able to supply enough of em which in turn increase the prices. So, there isn't much to trade off.

Personally, I would invest in Hydrogen fuel cell. I see its huge potential. You may not realize, if I recall this correctly that Hydrogen is 2nd most abundence in the world and it happen to be recycleable easily without any carbon involved.

Biodiesel is not as great an alternative as it once was seen. Mainly because it competes with food sources, which drives up the prices for food. So you have energy needs and food needs competing for the same thing and demand usually leads to increased prices, which hurts consumers.

There was a big biodiesel start up in Grays Harbor, Washington that isn't doing as well nowadays.

But they can got lots of waste vegetable oil (cooking oil) from many restaurants.

...Personally, I would invest in Hydrogen fuel cell. I see its huge potential. You may not realize, if I recall this correctly that Hydrogen is 2nd most abundence in the world and it happen to be recycleable easily without any carbon involved.
I hope it happens soon. The problem with these non-traditional energy sources is that we have a vast infrastructure in place already. Someday fossil fuels will run out and we will have to discontinue their use.

But they can got lots of waste vegetable oil (cooking oil) from many restaurants.
Yes, but it's not enough. On road-diesel consumption is about 40-50 billion gallons a year in the USA.

Wirelessly posted

I think theyre moving to ultra low sulfur diesel instead of focusing on biodiesel or something..not too sure.

Aberdeen in Grays Harbor County is desperate to have jobs and a booming economy but it isnt happening anytime soon. It was a booming industry of logging now now the town is dead.

You drive a dual axle semi truck in state only due to DOT rules?

Yup. I don't have a CDL either. In Colorado you can do hauling/18wheeling up to 150 miles radius from the main location you're working at in agriculture (Farms) without a CDL license.

Wirelessly posted

Already knew abt the ultra low sulfur diesel...just saying theyre going that direction.

Interesting rules for driving a semi without a cdl. :hmm:

Wirelessly posted

Already knew abt the ultra low sulfur diesel...just saying theyre going that direction.

Interesting rules for driving a semi without a cdl. :hmm:

Yea
Department of Revenue - Division of Motor Vehicles:CDL and CMV Information

You can see:

Exempt Vehicles:

Recreation vehicles used for recreational purposes.
Military vehicles driven by military personnel.
Firefighting equipment.
Emergency Snow Plowing during emergency snow removal operations.
Farm vehicle when controlled and operated by a farmer within 150 miles of the person's farm.

Back