A diesel discussion thread

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
Since I noticed members here often go off point and talk about diesel in some threads so I decided to create this thread for everyone to talk all about diesels, you can also compare it against gasoline engines too... it's really interesting subject to talk about. :)

For instance, a tractor trailer truck with a 12.7 liter inline 6 diesel can only have around 400 hp at 2100 rpm and get oustanding 1,600 ft lb of torque at 1,200 rpm.....the horsepower is comparable to a gasoline powered big block V8 in some top of the line sports coupes.

For instance, a tractor trailer truck with a 12.7 liter inline 6 diesel can only have around 400 hp at 2100 rpm and get oustanding 1,600 ft lb of torque at 1,200 rpm.....the horsepower is comparable to a gasoline powered big block V8 in some top of the line sports coupes.

That's what I drive. 30 tons, no problem.

I read Glenn's post#226 that made my brain refresh. I know little about diesels but know about the mechanicals. I notice the bore sizes in the diesel blocks are smaller than the stroke (crankshaft). The highest stroke size in a Caterpillar inline-6 engine is 8 inches!!!! That's what I saw it in my old Michigan engine bearing catalog. The bore size is 5 3/4 inches. I don't know what's the engine use for. I feel that the typical stroke size for semi trucks is about 5 1/2 inches. The amount of the combustion chamber in the cylinder heads are little or zero and the top of the pistons are dished. That explains why the compression ratio always higher than the gasoline powered engines.

I read Glenn's post#226 that made my brain refresh. I know little about diesels but know about the mechanicals. I notice the bore sizes in the diesel blocks are smaller than the stroke (crankshaft). The highest stroke size in a Caterpillar inline-6 engine is 8 inches!!!! That's what I saw it in my old Michigan engine bearing catalog. The bore size is 5 3/4 inches. I don't know what's the engine use for. I feel that the typical stroke size for semi trucks is about 5 1/2 inches. The amount of the combustion chamber in the cylinder heads are little or zero and the top of the pistons are dished. That explains why the compression ratio always higher than the gasoline powered engines.

It's possible that Caterpillar engine is from heavy duty industrial machinery or used as a generator for a major building complex. Lots of power demand with a longer stroke diesel engine to output more torque demands.

Since I noticed members here often go off point and talk about diesel in some threads so I decided to create this thread for everyone to talk all about diesels, you can also compare it against gasoline engines too... it's really interesting subject to talk about. :)
I'll post off-topic in my own threads if I want to. :P

I sure miss drivin '85 VW Jetta Diesel. One of best car I ever had. I could get 60 Miles to a gallon with this car! It just run and run and run as if it never ends. I can't really speeding on this car, it is slow poke like 18 wheelers. If had Diesel again in VW jetta, I would not mind buy it. I don't want TDI (Turbo Diesel).

I sure miss drivin '85 VW Jetta Diesel. One of best car I ever had. I could get 60 Miles to a gallon with this car! It just run and run and run as if it never ends. I can't really speeding on this car, it is slow poke like 18 wheelers. If had Diesel again in VW jetta, I would not mind buy it. I don't want TDI (Turbo Diesel).

Ahhh I see...what's wrong with turbo diesel? 60 mpg is pretty nice for sure. Do you remember how many miles it had?

My diesel tractor runs nearly all day on a single tank- wish my cars would run the same....

does anybody run on biodiesel ? get off road diesel? try running home heating oil in the tractors ?

My diesel tractor runs nearly all day on a single tank- wish my cars would run the same....

does anybody run on biodiesel ? get off road diesel? try running home heating oil in the tractors ?

None of all above that I do. :P I used to live in a home that runs on heating oil which is some kind of diesel as well.

Did I recalled there were arguments over Diesel engine couple years ago? I missed the chance to barge in :popcorn:

:giggle:

Catty

I am not a man who interest in those heatly debate on diesel vs regular gas. We bought a ford truck with diesel engine and it has more power than we had old ford truck with regular gas. We notice diesel use better gas mileage than regular gas. One good thing about our truck it does not pollute as it does to old diesel truck and buses. It does not make any noise. We love it.

I am not a man who interest in those heatly debate on diesel vs regular gas. We bought a ford truck with diesel engine and it has more power than we had old ford truck with regular gas. We notice diesel use better gas mileage than regular gas. One good thing about our truck it does not pollute as it does to old diesel truck and buses. It does not make any noise. We love it.

Yep, newer diesel engines are much better than the old ones...they're quietier and less polluting and produces more power as well. :)

240K miles something, and that is when too many things start to fall apart, and it requires replacement heater core which leaked meaning dashboard had to be taken out, AC core was in the way and need to be removed, need new tires, front end need replacement from accident. Not worth the repairs and headache.

The reason I like regular Diesel over Turbo is that turbo you get about 40MPG and no warm up required while regular Diesel you can easily hit 60 plus must wait 20 seconds for warm up (Glow plugs must be fully heated) before cold start. I don't mind wait 20 seconds to trade off with gas mileage.

Ahhh I see...what's wrong with turbo diesel? 60 mpg is pretty nice for sure. Do you remember how many miles it had?

Yep, newer diesel engines are much better than the old ones...they're quietier and less polluting and produces more power as well. :)

Biodiesel fuel is a clean burning alternative fuel?

240K miles something, and that is when too many things start to fall apart, and it requires replacement heater core which leaked meaning dashboard had to be taken out, AC was broken, need new tires, front end need replacement from accident. Not worth the repairs.

The reason I like regular Diesel over Turbo is that turbo you get about 40MPG and no warm up required while regular Diesel you can easily hit 60 plus must wait 20 seconds for warm up (Glow plugs must be fully heated) before cold start. I don't mind wait 20 seconds to trade off with gas mileage.

Ahhh, I see that sucks! I haven't seen a old VW Jetta diesel in a long time...they probably weren't well built to last.

Hmmm, you may be right about non turbo diesel gets better mileage than the ones with turbo. Most of the cars out there are turbo diesel anyway.

Biodiesel fuel is a clean burning alternative fuel?

Yes, it is a better alternative fuel than the regular diesel. The more percentage in the biodiesel blend is better. Like for example B20 means 20 percent biodesel with regular low sulfur diesel. Most of the gas pumps I've seen are low sulfur diesel with 5 percent blend of biodiesel.

Cleaner? Yes but power? Honesty, less power than regular Diesel so meaning less pulling power with Biodiesel.

Yes, it is a better alternative fuel than the regular diesel. The more percentage in the biodiesel blend is better. Like for example B20 means 20 percent biodesel with regular low sulfur diesel. Most of the gas pumps I've seen are low sulfur diesel with 5 percent blend of biodiesel.

Back