What Trees Tell us about Children with CIs

Hmm... I would guess that I would get my ass reamed by the deaf community if I were to flip the coin on this one. It would be like me saying "You need to learn how to read lips if you plan on hanging out in the hearing world" to a deaf person that requested closed captioning. Just one example, I can give you more. You should consider that understanding, compassion and and empathy are two way streets. Peace!

But even becoming skilled at lip reading, it isnt the same as a hearing person becoming skilled at ASL. The hearing person using ASL fluenty still has more access to information than the deaf person lipreading. Big difference..just a FYI.

But even becoming skilled at lip reading, it isnt the same as a hearing person becoming skilled at ASL. The hearing person using ASL fluenty still has more access to information than the deaf person lipreading. Big difference..just a FYI.
That was not even close to the point. Sorry you misunderstood. The point was about being understanding, accepting and empathatic of each other while adapting to the others world.

I do those things. I have to if I am going to hang out with hearing people. And I learned English so I can read notes and closed captioning. I remember precaptioning day, Even though I still watched it without closed captioning, I didn't know what they are saying but I was able to understand what is going on conceptually. Of course I cared what they are saying and I hope people care what deaf people are saying. I do agree that he should provide captioning (or someone should do it for him) for hearing people since he is targeting the public who know sign language.

like I wrote, you are bound to come across a few ASL deaf here and there as you hang out with them, and like our world with hearing, your world with deaf will be just as frustrating. Just saying. There are people who work with deaf people and don't know ASL, they just use an interpreter (audiologists, teachers, etc) and blame deaf people for communication barrier.

I do those things. I have to if I am going to hang out with hearing people. And I learned English so I can read notes and closed captioning. I remember precaptioning day, Even though I still watched it without closed captioning, I didn't know what they are saying but I was able to understand what is going on conceptually. Of course I cared what they are saying and I hope people care what deaf people are saying. I do agree that he should provide captioning (or someone should do it for him) for hearing people since he is targeting the public who know sign language.

like I wrote, you are bound to come across a few ASL deaf here and there as you hang out with them, and like our world with hearing, your world with deaf will be just as frustrating. Just saying. There are people who work with deaf people and don't know ASL, they just use an interpreter (audiologists, teachers, etc) and blame deaf people for communication barrier.

I would have assumed that you learned English so that you could read, not to communicate with hearing people....otherwise you would be advocating illiteracy.....

English is English. There are plenty of other languages I could learn to read instead. Of course, I have heard of deaf people who never learned to read. They learned by ASL. But I do want to learn to read, so is that a problem? why can't people have the same passion with ASL?

Tousi, I think that voice off, Sign only "deaf culture" IS shrinking. There are still kids around who are like that, but maybe the poplarity of CIs just means that Deaf culture and ASL will become more hoh friendly. After all, while there are kids who are "almost hearing" with CI, there are kids who are "almost hearing" with HA. Most CI kids are HOH. There are TONS of kids who are orally skilled but who also are fluent in ASL....

Tousi, I think that voice off, Sign only "deaf culture" IS shrinking. There are still kids around who are like that, but maybe the poplarity of CIs just means that Deaf culture and ASL will become more hoh friendly. After all, while there are kids who are "almost hearing" with CI, there are kids who are "almost hearing" with HA. Most CI kids are HOH. There are TONS of kids who are orally skilled but who also are fluent in ASL....
:dunno2:

I was surprised how many people at NSAD could speak. Over half of my team could speak. Two guys on my team had CIs but they didn't wear them at NSAD..... not sure why. Perhaps they were worried about a ball hitting it. :dunno:

Back