What Trees Tell us about Children with CIs

Sorry couldn't follow. No CC or audio. I'm not sure that comparing a child with a CI to a chopped down tree is a good comparison. Asuming that is what he is doing .

I think he's trying to sell the death knell of deaf culture as he knows it.

Don't you know that isn't allowed! :laugh2: You have to have been miserable growing up oral, found ASL and see that every child MUST grow up with ASL and go to a Deaf school because mainstreaming and oralism was invented by the Great Satan- HEARING PEOPLE!!

There you go with that dichotomous thinking again, and insulting the opinions of many, many deaf individuals. And then you wonder why you are not welcomed with open arms?:cool2:

Sorry couldn't follow. No CC or audio. I'm not sure that comparing a child with a CI to a chopped down tree is a good comparison. Asuming that is what he is doing .

you need to learn ASL if you plan on hanging out in the deaf world.

ok, because one really shouldn't be spending the rest of their life hanging with deaf people without knowing signing language. He is bound to get frustrated sooner or later.

ok, because one really shouldn't be spending the rest of their life hanging with deaf people without knowing signing language. He is bound to get frustrated sooner or later.

Prize for sensitivity!! :applause:

He is learning. He is a parent of a deaf child, I'm sure he is working as hard as he can.

Don't you know that isn't allowed! :laugh2: You have to have been miserable growing up oral, found ASL and see that every child MUST grow up with ASL and go to a Deaf school because mainstreaming and oralism was invented by the Great Satan- HEARING PEOPLE!!
your kidding me.

I was abused by an oral teacher. U know what she told me when she saw me at summer school where I was a teacher aide for those deaf/hoh preschoolers right before I became senior at high school. "What a shame on you for not being talking" while other two teachers , one of them is hoh did not say nothing, just stand there and silent. Do you know why, I refused to open my mouth to her because I hated her and hated her for what she did to me when I was 6 years old and I could not go to my mommy and tell her that teacher hurt me. She put her hands on my neck and shook me because I got bored and looked away from her. I got real sick next day and did not want to go back to school. If I knew sign language then I would go and tell my mom. So anyway I have been in oral, TC, Deaf then deaf program with one of my best teacher ever and interpters too. I was very lucky and I loved to be in hearing classes and learn more but understanding this is not for everyone else. I became one of top kids in public school, being 18 th ranked out of 500 hearing kids. I do not need to read lips, I had a great intreperters and ASL teachers who helped me with my weakest subject of all English and written language. I showed them Deaf can do anything without being an oralist. I work as a rural carrier and people learn to understand me even spanish speakers too, today I met a woman who does not speak english but she understood me when I asked her to sign this for accountable letter.

This teacher who abused me changed my mind to be a teacher, it was my childhood dream till that day she killed my dream. i would never do that to any kids.

Anyway what will you do for deaf people? or just you do for your daughter only? My mother worked with deaf adults for many years and fought many battles for them. She had alot deaf friends. They still asked me about my mother to this day. She did alot for them more than what she did for me. I was her teacher.

Jazzy, I know this is a very sensitive subject for you. Your story above will touch anyone who reads it.

However, I think FJ was being sarcastic/funny/joking....

your kidding me.

I was abused by an oral teacher. U know what she told me when she saw me at summer school where I was a teacher aide for those deaf/hoh preschoolers right before I became senior at high school. "What a shame on you for not being talking" while other two teachers , one of them is hoh did not say nothing, just stand there and silent. Do you know why, I refused to open my mouth to her because I hated her and hated her for what she did to me when I was 6 years old and I could not go to my mommy and tell her that teacher hurt me. She put her hands on my neck and shook me because I got bored and looked away from her. I got real sick next day and did not want to go back to school. If I knew sign language then I would go and tell my mom. So anyway I have been in oral, TC, Deaf then deaf program with one of my best teacher ever and interpters too. I was very lucky and I loved to be in hearing classes and learn more but understanding this is not for everyone else. I became one of top kids in public school, being 18 th ranked out of 500 hearing kids. I do not need to read lips, I had a great intreperters and ASL teachers who helped me with my weakest subject of all English and written language. I showed them Deaf can do anything without being an oralist. I work as a rural carrier and people learn to understand me even spanish speakers too, today I met a woman who does not speak english but she understood me when I asked her to sign this for accountable letter.

This teacher who abused me changed my mind to be a teacher, it was my childhood dream till that day she killed my dream. i would never do that to any kids.

Anyway what will you do for deaf people? or just you do for your daughter only? My mother worked with deaf adults for many years and fought many battles for them. She had alot deaf friends. They still asked me about my mother to this day. She did alot for them more than what she did for me. I was her teacher.

Of course I was joking. I am so sorry that happened to you. It was inexcusable, hearing or deaf, NO ONE deserves to be hurt.

As for what I am doing to help the Deaf community, I have helped pass legislation to change Deaf education in our state. (Changed the law that stated that as soon as a deaf child was "age-appropriate" they were no longer eligible for services from the school for the Deaf, thus FORCING mainstreaming) I also helped petition the legislature for a new building for the bi-bi school (that my daughter no longer attends). I also helped set up the "Guide by your Side" program in my state. It gives unbiased support and information to parents of newly identified deaf children. And everyday I am raising a child who will become a future leader of the Deaf community, and I believe that is the most important thing that I could do.

Again, I am so sorry that my joke was in poor taste. But I am hopeful that sharing your story will help heal wounds and help others to understand your trials, and will help protect children in the future.

Peel the bark until they talk......or show them pictures of their saplings and let them know you can get to them any time.... :laugh2:

I nearly spit my drink out laughing over this Tx!! the visual image I got when I read it! LOL :laugh2::laugh2:

It is not really important to hassle this problem. It is interesting that he told us on the clip. It's not a big deal. It could be funny about one to other story...

Hey souggy, I am thinking that in one day the trees will charge up their leaves to glow at night so that our town might not need the street light poles anymore. That would be so nice.

you need to learn ASL if you plan on hanging out in the deaf world.

Hmm... I would guess that I would get my ass reamed by the deaf community if I were to flip the coin on this one. It would be like me saying "You need to learn how to read lips if you plan on hanging out in the hearing world" to a deaf person that requested closed captioning. Just one example, I can give you more. You should consider that understanding, compassion and and empathy are two way streets. Peace!

Back