What Trees Tell us about Children with CIs

shel90

Love Makes the World Go Round
Premium Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5l-eC1fm8sw]YouTube - What Trees Tell Us About Children With CI[/ame]

Is he right? Good or bad analogy?

I am not sure what to think of it but I undersstand what he is saying. :hmm:

Interesting. He sure has an imagination. I think it sounds right to me. Yea, most trees in the city don't live long as in the wild, basically. I wonder about people with CI get sick more often than people without CI, that would be interesting to find out.

Interesting. He sure has an imagination. I think it sounds right to me. Yea, most trees in the city don't live long as in the wild, basically. I wonder about people with CI get sick more often than people without CI, that would be interesting to find out.

I think he was referring that it is not natural for deaf children to be mainstreamed and forced to function like "hearing" children. If I am correct, that makes much more sense.

I think he was referring that it is not natural for deaf children to be mainstreamed and forced to function like "hearing" children. If I am correct, that makes much more sense.

Yeah, pretty much his point of view, I think.

Wirelessly posted

A forest has many trees to interact with and they are healthy and strong; a tree on its own is battered into submission.

A Deaf community has many individuals and as a group, they are strong; a deaf person on his own is left feeling homesick with no home in exIstence.

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted

A forest has many trees to interact with and they are healthy; a tree on its own is battered into submission.

Wow! Very powerful!!!

It's an interesting analogy. Like I said, there is not sufficient evidence with babies with CI when they get older and find out who they are, such as emotions, mental and physical issues. For example that they are deaf. Will they realize that they are deaf, not the same group as the hearing kids or will they wonder "why am i being in the hearing people group, not with the other deaf kids with ci like me."

But for oral kids non ci users (our times) issue, yes it applied in some way.

Well, I perfer being in mainstreamed than in deaf schools. Been thru all and I was most happiest person on earth when i went to public school.

Well, I perfer being in mainstreamed than in deaf schools. Been thru all and I was most happiest person on earth when i went to public school.

Don't you know that isn't allowed! :laugh2: You have to have been miserable growing up oral, found ASL and see that every child MUST grow up with ASL and go to a Deaf school because mainstreaming and oralism was invented by the Great Satan- HEARING PEOPLE!!

Don't you know that isn't allowed! :laugh2: You have to have been miserable growing up oral, found ASL and see that every child MUST grow up with ASL and go to a Deaf school because mainstreaming and oralism was invented by the Great Satan- HEARING PEOPLE!!

It depends on jazzy's situation.

I used to like being mainstreamed when I had ASL-Deaf people to interact with; I hated mainstream when my parents moved to a town with a very small, and older, Deaf community.

At least jazzy had the exposure to both.

Off topic...this reminds me of the poem, "Trees" by Joyce Kilmer.

So is Carl saying that CIers are soulless people?

faire jour, first of all jazzy is older and was in Deaf Schools when they were really not too good. A LOT of the problems that middle aged res school folks experianced have been resolved. The Deaf Schools are A LOT better then they were back in the old old days! It would be like comparing a state mental retardation or illness insistion of today with Willowbrook or One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. Second of all, I honestly think if you have EVER dealt with the mainstream in dealing with trying to get decent accomondations for dhh kids (and not just helping out with transistion with 21+ students who are going to sheltered workshops or whatever) , you would understand WHY Deaf schools and Dhh programs are still around.
We do not think Deaf Schools are some sort of glorious utopia. We DO however think they are underutlized AND underestimated.

My trees never tell me anything......But.....I have ways to make them talk....

How interesting that you learned something about the sick trees.

I don't buy the story from the town. The trees do not get sick unless the ground is dry or chemicals or a lot of exhaust from the vehicles on a very busy road which should be obvious. However, I see the yellow grasses that could be from roundups - the herbicide chemical.

Another reason is that the stump trees looks healthy to me like no black or gray spots on the top surface.

The leaves are part of air filters that take care of us by absorbing the toxic in the air. What a miracle! Actually, most people who work at the town hall do not know the names of the trees or even did not know anything about a solar energy because they always work and work everyday no time to think about something else. What can I say about it?

Oh well, that's about it. Hey, thanks for showing us your video clip! ;)

Sorry couldn't follow. No CC or audio. I'm not sure that comparing a child with a CI to a chopped down tree is a good comparison. Asuming that is what he is doing .

Back