Two Questions

DahliaRose

Reaction score
I am working on fingerspelling and I have two questions.

1. How do I sign the same letter twice in a row? Like how would I sign the double L in well?

2. What hand do I fingerspell with?

Your right. I've seen people glide their hand or make a little bounce while moving to the right when doing the double letter.

BTW, I really like the photo of that cat in your avatar. What a big tongue for such a little cat -- lol!

I am working on fingerspelling and I have two questions.

1. How do I sign the same letter twice in a row? Like how would I sign the double L in well?
Depends on the letter. Some open and close twice, some make a slight bump movement outboard. Double-Z has a unique formation. The handshape changes from 1-hand to V-hand.

2. What hand do I fingerspell with?
Your dominant hand.

Depends on the letter. Some open and close twice,

I'm guessing that would be 'd' and 'o'? Any others?

some make a slight bump movement outboard. Double-Z has a unique formation. The handshape changes from 1-hand to V-hand.

So, instead of using the index finger to make the 'z', I would use a slightly bent 'v' shape to make the 'z'?

Is there a quick way to sign a double 'j'? Hmm, but you know, I can't think of a word in English that has a double 'j'.

A lot of fluent signers don't always articulate the second letter, unless it's important to differentiate the word from another word (e.g. butt vs but). That's just being lazy, of course, but seems common around here.

The double-Z is usually signed with a claw-2 handshape. Like in 'analyze' or 'travel.' Guess it's very similar to a V handshape, but there's definitely some curvature to the fingers.

A lot of fluent signers don't always articulate the second letter, unless it's important to differentiate the word from another word (e.g. butt vs but). That's just being lazy, of course, but seems common around here.

The double-Z is usually signed with a claw-2 handshape. Like in 'analyze' or 'travel.' Guess it's very similar to a V handshape, but there's definitely some curvature to the fingers.

Thanks Alex! That makes sense, fingerspelling the second repeating letter would just make it that much harder to sign at 500 mph ... :)

Yeah, it doesn't come up much except in the spelling of proper names that include double letters. Also, some doubles almost never occur in English (qq, yy, jj).

Where I was taught, the fingers were straight, except when signing PIZZA.

Now, that I think about it, when else do I use a double-Z? :giggle:

Yeah, it doesn't come up much except in the spelling of proper names that include double letters. Also, some doubles almost never occur in English (qq, yy, jj).

Where I was taught, the fingers were straight, except when signing PIZZA.

Now, that I think about it, when else do I use a double-Z? :giggle:

What, you never played buzz!?

Obviously drinking games aren't your style. :giggle: ;)

Pepperoni with onions and extra cheese when I go out and at home I usually have pizza with artichokes, olives and onions. The crust must be thin. I am not overly fond of thick crusts for the following reasons: I want to taste the toppings and thick pizza will blow my diabetes out of control.

You mean the handshape of the anaylyze sign or how you sign it anaylize? As for the sign travel, I don't use the zz hand shape cuz that's not how I learned it. I was taught to sign it this way: you use the middle fingers of both hands. IT's similar to the cyclone sign except that the middle finger of both hands are used.

I just checked the ASL dictionary and I see how you sign travel and I like this sign better than the one that I was taught.

Pepperoni with onions and extra cheese when I go out and at home I usually have pizza with artichokes, olives and onions. The crust must be thin. I am not overly fond of thick crusts for the following reasons: I want to taste the toppings and thick pizza will blow my diabetes out of control.

Alright, alright. That's enough! :nono: Let's just take this on over to the dinner thread! :)

You mean the handshape of the anaylyze sign or how you sign it anaylize? As for the sign travel, I don't use the zz hand shape cuz that's not how I learned it. I was taught to sign it this way: you use the middle fingers of both hands. IT's similar to the cyclone sign except that the middle finger of both hands are used.

I meant just the same handshape as what is used for analyze.

That's a very odd sign you're describing for travel. I've never seen that. Maybe a regional sign?

Alright, alright. That's enough! :nono: Let's just take this on over to the dinner thread! :)

I meant just the same handshape as what is used for analyze.

That's a very odd sign you're describing for travel. I've never seen that. Maybe a regional sign?

Possible. I know a few regional signs like the sign for mean that I learned at VSDB. I've never seen this sign signed anywhere else. Ditto for the sign for brithday that I learned at VSDB,

I just checked the ASL dictionary and I see how you sign travel and I like this sign better than the one that I was taught.

Thats "tornado"

Back