Two Questions

Possible. I know a few regional signs like the sign for mean that I learned at VSDB. I've never seen this sign signed anywhere else. Ditto for the sign for brithday that I learned at VSDB,

What sign for mean did you learn? And what kind of "mean"? Like, "The man is mean" or "No, that's not what I mean"?

I learned a sign for mean (the man is mean) in Indiana that nobody else uses: dominant B-handshape, turned up, and you cross it from your non-dominant shoulder down to your dominant waist. Same orientation and movement as for king or queen.

It shouldn't. A cyclone and a tornado are two very different things.
Right. The sign HURRICANE should be used for a cyclone/hurricane/typhoon. The sign TORNADO should be used for a tornado/twister/dirt devil/water spout.

Meteorologically speaking. :)

You mean the handshape of the anaylyze sign or how you sign it anaylize? As for the sign travel, I don't use the zz hand shape cuz that's not how I learned it. I was taught to sign it this way: you use the middle fingers of both hands. IT's similar to the cyclone sign except that the middle finger of both hands are used.

I just checked the ASL dictionary and I see how you sign travel and I like this sign better than the one that I was taught.
I know the sign you've described. Here's the difference between the two "travel" signs, as I observed their use:

TRAVEL (using ZZ hand shape), for describing travel from point A to point B, or on a pathway to a destination. Traveling to a place.

TRAVEL (using twister type sign), for describing movement without a destination, such as when sight seeing in a city, cruising the mall, touring a museum. Traveling around or about a place.

What sign for mean did you learn? And what kind of "mean"? Like, "The man is mean" or "No, that's not what I mean"?

I learned a sign for mean (the man is mean) in Indiana that nobody else uses: dominant B-handshape, turned up, and you cross it from your non-dominant shoulder down to your dominant waist. Same orientation and movement as for king or queen.

this sign for mean is done by curling your fingers around your chin and moving your fingers to the other side of chin. Though I prefer that sign, i use the standard sign for mean with most deaf as they're more likely to understand me. This sign that I use is used as in this man is mean.

I use a different sign as in no that's not what I mean. it's done with the V handshape and put against your non domiant hand and done by moving your fingers in what is best described as a diagonial pattern.

I know the sign you've described. Here's the difference between the two "travel" signs, as I observed their use:

TRAVEL (using ZZ hand shape), for describing travel from point A to point B, or on a pathway to a destination. Traveling to a place.

TRAVEL (using twister type sign), for describing movement without a destination, such as when sight seeing in a city, cruising the mall, touring a museum. Traveling around or about a place.

I will keep that in mind. Speaking of travel, many deaf will say they toucn finished a certain place or simply touch a certain place.

Yeah, it doesn't come up much except in the spelling of proper names that include double letters. Also, some doubles almost never occur in English (qq, yy, jj).

Where I was taught, the fingers were straight, except when signing PIZZA.

Now, that I think about it, when else do I use a double-Z? :giggle:

Hah, I think I know that sign for pizza. :D

I will keep that in mind. Speaking of travel, many deaf will say they toucn finished a certain place or simply touch a certain place.
Right. That's mostly for either having visited or the actual visit of a place. The other traveling signs are more about the process of traveling or visiting.

Right. That's mostly for either having visited or the actual visit of a place. The other traveling signs are more about the process of traveling or visiting.

Exactly. If I were say that I've been to to Colorado, I would say in ASL, Colorado touch long time ago. As for Denvar, I would say Denver touch never. I saw Colorado when I was 18. I have never been to Denvar though.

Back