Stop Blaming Racism for the Failure of Black Parents

rockin'robin

Reaction score
Los Angeles – Growing youth violence in the United States will not be resolved until we find the moral courage to address the racial issues that underlie it.

During a Chicago school visit earlier this month to the site where a black honor student was beaten to death by a mob of black students, Attorney General Eric Holder stated that growing youth violence in America is not just "a black problem," but a problem for all races. The trouble with this statement is that it is statistically untrue.

Youth violence may not be solely a black problem, but it is primarily a black problem.

Consider, by race, the contributing factors of prison incarceration and school suspension. Blacks are imprisoned and suspended three times more frequently than the rest of the US population, and as much as six times more frequently than their white, Asian, and Latino counterparts.

The question is not whether young blacks, particularly males, get involved in violent incidents more frequently than other races. The question is why.

White and black liberals blame this disparity on a racist society that misinterprets and discriminates against black culture.

White and black conservatives explain these statistics as the result of less respect for the law, caused solely by poor parenting. They cite as proof that high-achieving blacks have been well-parented.

This is not a new problem. Consider a memo written in 1965 to President Lyndon Johnson from Assistant Labor Secretary Daniel Moynihan in which the secretary expressed his great concern over the high rate of out-of-wedlock births among blacks (25 percent at that time). Unaddressed, Mr. Moynihan predicted, this large number of fatherless children would result in increasing school failure, criminal delinquency, and joblessness. Sadly, because liberals across the board condemned this call for action as racist propaganda, President Johnson didn't want to risk heated public debate and so did nothing.

The recent Chicago incident, and countless others that occur daily, are the result of not heeding Moynihan's warning 44 years ago. The previous out-of-wedlock birthrate has almost tripled, and 7 out of 10 black children now grow up not only without a father, but also in disproportionate poverty. That means millions of young kids lack adequate parental guidance to make the transition to become successful adults.

So of course unparented black kids act up and get in trouble more. Any racial group would do the same. The starting point for reducing our nation's youth violence must begin at home. We need our elected public officials to acknowledge this.

President Obama – himself black, well-parented, and successful – has a unique opportunity to start reducing youth violence by addressing this key issue. The president needs to condemn the disparity in out-of-wedlock birthrates and antisocial behavior between black youth and their peers of other races. He needs to specifically address the habit of blaming racism alone for the failure to instill proper behavior in black children.

A specific call for black parental accountability would be a strong first step in avoiding future tragedies like the one in Chicago.

Paul D. White is a career public educator from Ventura, Calif., and the author of "White's Rules – Saving Our Youth One Kid at a Time."

Stop blaming racism for the failure of black parents - Yahoo! News

During a Chicago school visit earlier this month to the site where a black honor student was beaten to death by a mob of black students

He was beaten maybe because he was a smart black person and the mob thought he's not black enough because he's too smart and labeled as a "Uncle Tom"?

This isn't the first time I've heard of this, Bill Cosby addressed that issue 2 years ago.

So did Clarance Thomas of the US Supreme Court Justice.

There's nothing wrong with being smart, but the mob that killed the honor student must've thought otherwise.

Yiz

From the OP:

White and black conservatives explain these statistics as the result of less respect for the law, caused solely by poor parenting. They cite as proof that high-achieving blacks have been well-parented.

Black and white conservatives would do well to study a little sociology.:roll:

Violence is not "a black problem." Violence is a problem for our society in general. The Columbine shooters were white kids from affluent families. Women's shelters are full of abused women of all colors. All of us have to take responsibility for the violent culture that we live in. The culture of domination/submission dictates that there will be victors and victims. Add hate and guns and it's dangerous.

From the OP:

Black and white conservatives would do well to study a little sociology.:roll:

If they did, wouldn't they find out that that is the absolute truth, but applies exactly equally to white youth gone wrong?

If they did, wouldn't they find out that that is the absolute truth, but applies exactly equally to white youth gone wrong?

Well, actually, no on the absolute truth that poor parenting is responsible, and yes on the fact that white youth gone wrong are equally responsible. There are actually numerous factors involved, including SES of the family, disporportionate incarceration of minority men, disproportionate opportunity, living environment, etc. All but the incarceration rates can be applied to white youths as well as minority youths when looking at violence rates. However, when you include SES, white men in lower SES are incarcerated disproportionately as well, so it will still hold up.

Even the most devoted parent can end up with a child that steps outside the law when all the factors are considered.

Well, actually, no on the absolute truth that poor parenting is responsible, and yes on the fact that white youth gone wrong are equally responsible. There are actually numerous factors involved, including SES of the family, disporportionate incarceration of minority men, disproportionate opportunity, living environment, etc. All but the incarceration rates can be applied to white youths as well as minority youths when looking at violence rates. However, when you include SES, white men in lower SES are incarcerated disproportionately as well, so it will still hold up.

Even the most devoted parent can end up with a child that steps outside the law when all the factors are considered.

So if you did it as a socioeconomic study, then rates would be the same for all races? I hope.

So if you did it as a socioeconomic study, then rates would be the same for all races? I hope.

Approximately the same, yes. But since we have a disproportionate number of minorities in the lower SES category, it will still show a slight rise in minorities. But that isn't due to poor parenting, but to the disproportionate income levels. Per capita, it would be equal.

Approximately the same, yes. But since we have a disproportionate number of minorities in the lower SES category, it will still show a slight rise in minorities. But that isn't due to poor parenting, but to the disproportionate income levels. Per capita, it would be equal.

I thought so!

Well, actually, no on the absolute truth that poor parenting is responsible

What you mean by that? If a parent or parents if you will, fails to teach a child right from wrong and fails to teach a child about respect, what is the end formula then?

Also bad parents sets a bad example for bad children, they copy what they see. Kids are very impressionable.

Yiz

What you mean by that? If a parent or parents if you will, fails to teach a child right from wrong and fails to teach a child about respect, what is the end formula then?

Also bad parents sets a bad example for bad children, they copy what they see. Kids are very impressionable.

Yiz

I mean exactly what I said. You are coming at the topic from too narrow a perspective. There are any number of factors that influence parenting. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "good" or "bad" parenting.

If you think that parents are the only influence on a child's life and choices, you are sadly mistaken. By the time that children are 12 years old, peers have a much greater influence on their choices than parents do. The wider society influences that child's decision from the time they are born.

I don't believe poverty is the reason for crime. I believe crime can make poverty worse, and poor victims have fewer resources to protect themselves from criminals. But poverty itself doesn't cause crime. There are many, many poor people who are hard working, honest, ethical, good citizens, and nurturing parents. There are also wealthy people who are mean spirited, dishonest, lazy, hedonistic, and horrible parents. Bottom line is, there are good and bad parents at all economic levels.

Income level might influence the type of crime one gets involved in. It might also determine how the caught criminal gets prosecuted. But it's not the cause of the crime.

I mean exactly what I said. You are coming at the topic from too narrow a perspective. There are any number of factors that influence parenting. It doesn't necessarily have anything to do with "good" or "bad" parenting.

If you think that parents are the only influence on a child's life and choices, you are sadly mistaken. By the time that children are 12 years old, peers have a much greater influence on their choices than parents do. The wider society influences that child's decision from the time they are born.

Well I find that to be true, thus the reason why my sister is homeschooling her kids instead, to avoid the kind of bad influence that may be prevalent in schools. In fact, they're learning far more than what the schools normally provides.

But they do get alot of social structures because for one, they go to church, so they get Sunday School classes and also various activities they get involved with other kids, arts & crafts, horse riding classes, reading specials at the libraries, music lessons, etc. The kids stays very busy during school year.

The kids are doing very well.

Yiz

I don't believe poverty is the reason for crime. I believe crime can make poverty worse, and poor victims have fewer resources to protect themselves from criminals. But poverty itself doesn't cause crime. There are many, many poor people who are hard working, honest, ethical, good citizens, and nurturing parents. There are also wealthy people who are mean spirited, dishonest, lazy, hedonistic, and horrible parents. Bottom line is, there are good and bad parents at all economic levels.

Income level might influence the type of crime one gets involved in. It might also determine how the caught criminal gets prosecuted. But it's not the cause of the crime.

According to the sociological research available on the topic, you have cause and effect reversed.

Well I find that to be true, thus the reason why my sister is homeschooling her kids instead, to avoid the kind of bad influence that may be prevalent in schools. In fact, they're learning far more than what the schools normally provides.

But they do get alot of social structures because for one, they go to church, so they get Sunday School classes and also various activities they get involved with other kids, arts & crafts, horse riding classes, reading specials at the libraries, music lessons, etc. The kids stays very busy during school year.

Yiz

And what about when they become adults, are no longer under your sister's control, and have not had the opportunity to learn the social skills necessary to avoid peer influence?

And what about when they become adults, are no longer under your sister's control, and have not had the opportunity to learn the social skills necessary to avoid peer influence?

Oh my sis is aware of that she is working with them to ensure they do get the skills. Plus they sit down and talk about it, a lot. Plenty of communication regarding that topic. Sis is very open to share her life's experiences and answers a lot of questions, even if they are personal or embarrassing experiences that she had growing up.

Yiz

Yiz

I was abused by my dad , dad was abused by his dad etc. I was finally able to break this abusive patten with my daugther . I had to keep myself from getting angry at my child and hitting her. And I was able to do it! My daughter is now a mother and has her own child .I have stopped the cycle of abuse and now have a beautiful 4 years old granddaugter and she has a mother that love her and does not abuse her! I did not copy my dad abusive behavior! I do not buy that crap about not being able to stop the abusive
cycle!

Yiz

I have a brother who has been in and out of jail for voilence, drugs and etc. He was raised in an upper class family in which his mom stayed home and my dad worked hard to provide all the luxuries he and my other 3 brothers got growing up. Sometimes, even too much of everything can lead children in the wrong path. My stepmom and dad were good parents but gave their boys too much, I think.

That was so true in my brother's case.

Yiz

I am glad that the kids are doing well.

However, not all homeschooled kids come away unscathed. I know of a few of them who committed crime in their late teens and early 20s.

I agree with Reba and Jillio..too many factors can lead children to committing voilent crimes.

Back