Post your DIY projects here

Reba

Retired Terp
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please post your do-it-yourself projects here.

If you have "before", "during", and "after" pictures that would be great. :)

Here is our most recent project.

We remodeled our master bathroom. We removed the old tub and put in a large shower. The new shower is ceramic tile with two shower heads. One head is a "rain" shower. The other one is a variable shower massage.

This was a five-month project because Hubby could work on it only during his "spare" time. Also, the basin for the shower was built from scratch, which took a lot of time to do each layer, and letting it cure.

First, here are the before pictures:

Attachments

• before1.jpg
    before1.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 78
  • before2.jpg
    before2.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 75
Our bathroom is on the second floor, at the back of the house. Hubby opened the window and threw all the old tiles, tub pieces, insulation, sheet rock, etc., out the window. Then he piled all the debris into our utility trailer, and hauled the stuff to the dump.

Here are some demo pictures:

Attachments

• demo3.jpg
    demo3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 43
  • demo1.jpg
    demo1.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 41
  • demo2.jpg
    demo2.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 37
I have a few do-it-yourself projects in mind and I probably won't work on them until I get my own place to live. Right now, I'm living in the dorms... so the only do-it-yourself project I could do is cleaning my room. ;)

Framing, new insulation, new plumbing, installing "niche" forms.

Some "during" pictures:

Attachments

• during1.jpg
    during1.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 15
  • during3.jpg
    during3.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 14
  • during4.jpg
    during4.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 15
  • during5.jpg
    during5.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 14
  • during2.jpg
    during2.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 15
I have a few do-it-yourself projects in mind and I probably won't work on them until I get my own place to live. Right now, I'm living in the dorms... so the only do-it-yourself project I could do is cleaning my room. ;)
Hey, sometimes that's a major project!

Do you ever watch "Mission Organization" on HGTV or "Clean Sweep" on TLC?

Cutting the tiles to fit was a lot of work. The wet saw was on our deck out back, so Hubby did a lot of running up and down stairs with the tiles!

More "during" pictures.

Attachments

• during6.jpg
    during6.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 27
  • during7.jpg
    during7.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 33
  • during8.jpg
    during8.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 28
Hey, sometimes that's a major project!

Do you ever watch "Mission Organization" on HGTV or "Clean Sweep" on TLC?
Nope. I'm not crazy for those kinds of shows. What's so interesting about watching someone make a room look fancy?

If I'm going to make my room different, it will be unique... my own way.

Nope. I'm not crazy for those kinds of shows. What's so interesting about watching someone make a room look fancy?

If I'm going to make my room different, it will be unique... my own way.

Those two shows aren't really for making rooms "fancy". They show how to clean up and get organized. :P

Yeah, with a huge budget. ;)
I wish I lived near you. I would do the project for a couple hundred dollars. I love a challenge! :P It would be fun to include your personality in your room.

I enjoy cleaning, organizing, and decorating thru creativity and necessity. Most places just need organization, color, theme, and texture to make a huge improvement. Paint, fabric, and good lighting make a big difference. It doesn't need to be "fancy". Personally, I prefer clean and simple. I can't stand ruffles, frou-frou, and clutter. I prefer to subtract things from a room rather than add. Negative space has its own value.

To be honest, our bathroom project was expensive. I think it's worth spending more money on permanent upgrades to a house because it increases the value.

But in your situation, a temporary living space, I wouldn't spend a lot of money to fix it up except maybe on stuff that you can take with you and use in your next place.

Here is the finished shower:

Attachments

• after1.jpg
    after1.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 41
  • after2.jpg
    after2.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 40
  • after3.jpg
    after3.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 30
  • after4.jpg
    after4.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 27
  • after5.jpg
    after5.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 25
  • after6.jpg
    after6.jpg
    67.9 KB · Views: 36
We're just using the shower curtain instead of putting in a glass door. A door costs about $500. Too rich for our blood!

Here are the final pictures:

Attachments

• after7.jpg
    after7.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 44
  • after8.jpg
    after8.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 66
  • after9.jpg
    after9.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 30
  • after10.jpg
    after10.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 62
  • after11.jpg
    after11.jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 39
  • after12.jpg
    after12.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 46
wow, I love this thread here.

I restore furniture - refurbish old things into new things... and also trick them into antiquie look.... House decoration is my hobby. I do myself a lot in the house...

I have some photos... I will add when I found some photos.

I like your 2 pictures. Its good to put shampoo, conditoner, shower gel on the shower self... I just show your pictures to my hubby... he like it too.

http://www.alldeaf.com/attachments/...753641-post-your-diy-projects-here-after8.jpg

http://www.alldeaf.com/attachments/...53834-post-your-diy-projects-here-after10.jpg

We're just using the shower curtain instead of putting in a glass door. A door costs about $500. Too rich for our blood!

Here are the final pictures:

Can you come over to my place to do my renovations for me lmao??... they are awesome pictures of your bathroom.. as I have four bathrooms and they are pretty neglected by the previous owners grr... I sometime is afraid of paint colour since there's so many no ending walls in my place..

Reba,

I'm concern about your bathroom lights because not waterproof due may be electrode.

Have you check w/your box ... suitable for bathroom light okay? Just making sure that..

Anyway,

We'll plan DIY within after Deaf Cruise...
Our plan: Kitchen, three bathrooms and basements too..

Very very nice Reba!! Surely your hubby did an awesome and swell job of putting all this together, even with your help too, I'm sure. ;)

What I'm mostly impressed with is the floor of the shower area, that's unique and a bit of work in itself. Also with the signature placement of pebbles on the wall was really cool and very unique!

Although, you were able to provide AD'ers with a show of 'before/after' photos, however, like for the floor in the shower area...nothing was 'described' what was used up to the level which those cobble stones or pebbles were placed. What were each part called. Thanks as I'm curious here. I used to be a 'framer' for a short period of time until my knee couldn't handle being up on a roof....anyhow, doing this exposed me to the many various aspects of how a home is put together. ;)

Awesome and very beautifully put together!! Pls. be sure to pass along my congrats to your hubby for a superbly well done job! :)

~RR

Reba,
I'm concern about your bathroom lights because not waterproof due may be electrode.

Have you check w/your box ... suitable for bathroom light okay? Just making sure that..
I appreciate your concern.

The light fixture is new but the placement is the same as before. It is sealed, insulated, and grounded, and doesn't get sprayed. The switch is on the wall outside the room.

It's a little hard to tell in the pictures but the light is not really over the center of the shower.

...Our plan: Kitchen, three bathrooms and basements too..
Wow, that is a lot of work. Which room will you do first?

I can't wait to see the before and after. :)

I appreciate your concern.

The light fixture is new but the placement is the same as before. It is sealed, insulated, and grounded, and doesn't get sprayed. The switch is on the wall outside the room.

It's a little hard to tell in the pictures but the light is not really over the center of the shower.

Wow, that is a lot of work. Which room will you do first?

I can't wait to see the before and after. :)

Yes, I'm look forward this one but have not made decision which one start with....

wow, I love this thread here.

I restore furniture - refurbish old things into new things... and also trick them into antiquie look.... House decoration is my hobby. I do myself a lot in the house...

I have some photos... I will add when I found some photos.
Good. I want to see them. :)

I like your 2 pictures. Its good to put shampoo, conditoner, shower gel on the shower self... I just show your pictures to my hubby... he like it too.
Thank you. That was my design idea. I don't like bottles on the floor or hanging in view. I wanted shelves that fit our shampoo and shower products. I designed the shelves to face inward to the shower so they don't show from the outside. Very neat.

The shelves and the seat are made with a slight slope so the water drains off them easier.

Back