Pics of my town

Byrdie714

Reaction score
People ask me--"What is your town like?"

Well--for starter's--it's small, population around 900 people in the low season and over 10,000 during the high season! :shock:

Anyway since I got a digital camera-- I went around town to take pictures to give y'all an idea....

So--without furthur ado.....:)

This is the Wreckage House--located in our town.

The story is that any time a ship sinks out in the Pacific and remnants would wash ashore. The people of Ocean Park would collect it and eventually--build a house with it.

This is one of the major draws to our area--the Ocean.

28 miles of sandy beaches and one can drive on the beach as it is considered a state highway. This part of the beach is the Bay Street Beach access where one can drive their car onto the beach.

pretty cool! sounds like a very nice getaway weekend trip

"Downtown" This is the busiest intersection on the North Beach of the Peninsula.

Also--if you look into the middle of the picture--you can see the traffic light--a four way stop light--the only traffic light in town. :lol:

The Old Taylor House which is now 'Adelaide's'--a coffee/ bookstore hang-out.

The Old Taylor House was a stop on the Clamshell Railroad serving the Peninsula and was popular with the fisherman and greenbacks as Adelaide was the host of the Old Taylor House.

It was affectionately known as a "Adelaide's Love Nest." :giggle:

On the corner here is Jack's Country Store--their claim to fame is that they are the oldest mercantile in the state of Washington.

Interestingly enough--one can walk in there and be in that store for up 2 hours just to see what they have.

Every year at Christmas--they bring out their Christmas decorations to sell--all from the bygone eras as they don't keep track of their inventory!

Their motto is, "If we don't have it--you don't need it."

Across the street from Jack's is Doc's Tavern--a blueish building. Story is that during the Prohibition--many people drank in their own homes. When Prohibition ended--Doc's opened the next day. :lol:

Pics of the beaches pls!!!

This picture is looking east from Bay Street on the Peninsula.

That bay of water is the Willapa Bay--the largest, cleanest estuary in the United States and home to thousands of wildlife species.

The island in the middle of the bay is......Long Island. Long Island is a nature preserve with the Willapa Bay National Wildlife Refuge.

On a clear day--one can see the Willapa Hills on the other side of the county where South bend and Raymond are located. It's 30 miles to South Bend--the county seat--but it takes about an hour to get there!

I forgot to add--it's 1.5 miles from the Bay to the Ocean via Bay Street through downtown Ocean Park.

One of my favorite homes in town! The Pilot House built in 1885.

It has remained in the same Portland, Oregon family since it's construction.

The view is of the ocean of course!

Also--notice how the trees are slanted??

Looks a lot like some of the small towns on Maryland's shores.

Another picture of 'Downtown' Looking west towards the Pacific.

One can see Doc's there......

Also--have you noticed that there are no name brand stores in this town like McDonald's, Starbucks, Safeway??

Village ordinance prohibits big name stores to set up shop in town as they want to preserve the 'mom-n-pop' shops.

The last picture for now.....

What is it? :giggle: (And no--it's not me going naked-in-the-snow :lol:)

Back