Perfecting lipreading skills?

Oh yes, I agree with that. My eyes are usually blood-shot by the end of the day, so I take a break and close my eyes more often to rest them. And try to get as much sleep as I can. Bright lights give me headaches, my doctor told me to wear sunglasses outside all the time, very light sensitive. I also wear a eye mask when sleeping to block out any light.

Also, despite the strain on my eyes, I still dont get as much info from the other people like I do with ASL.

That's why I lost motivation with lipreading and try to avoid situations where lipreading will be required for a long period of time.

I am one of the few who can lip read with very good accuracy without the support of sound. It just came naturally for me. It depends on the person, and the accent, and how well I know the person but with people who speak clearly I am quite good. However, ASL is still best for me!

It came naturally to me too. I can lip read in English and Spanish. Since I've gotten hearing aids, I've been much more comfortable speaking Spanish....

Someone that is late-deafened or HOH should not have too much of a problem with lip-reading. I've done it all my life and got by just fine, as long as someone doesn't talk to fast, turn their heads, moustaches, mumbles, etc.

I disagree. Personal experience is not always generalizable. I am late deafened, and like Botts, I am not very good. I speech read a little with my family, but prefer ASL. I don't miss as much information that way.

It just takes time to get it down. Today I had to rely on lip reading because I don't wear my hearing aid when mountain biking. This guy told me his name and it is either Greg or Craig. So lip reading has its limits.

I use to watch the teachers at school from a distance and be able to tell what they were saying. That was so funny cause they would be so crude and idiotic when they were away from students.

Someone that is late-deafened or HOH should not have too much of a problem with lip-reading. I've done it all my life and got by just fine, as long as someone doesn't talk to fast, turn their heads, moustaches, mumbles, etc.

I'm another one who proves this to be inaccurate - I was born deaf on my right side - and mild loss on the left (I also had a TON of ear infections as a child which meant for those weeks I would go from mild HL to mod/severe hearing loss on my left). Over the years my left side has gone from mild, to mild/mod ... and I still get occasional ear infections which push me more towards the mod/severe range.

In my case - most of the time as a child I had enough hearing that I was able to develop speech normally ...however I also have ALWAYS needed to speech-read to be able to understand things. I haven't taken any formal training in speech-reading, but by many people's assumptions I "should" be a fantastic speech-reader ... but I'm not. I'm ok - I get by, but I'm FAR from "fluent" and I find it stressful and frustrating if I have to speech-read 100% (with no audio input to "help fill in the gaps"). I do find that in general people who are Hoh ,d/Deaf and CODA/SODA etc are MUCH easier to understand than many hearing people (I think we're more careful about word selection and forming words so they are "Readable")

When it comes to speech-reading it really comes down to a number of important things:

1)Practice, Practice, Practice

2) A far bit of "natural/inherent speech-reading abilities" (ie - you find that you can "just do it")

3) Having clear speaking people to "practice" speech-reading from (especially if they are family & friends you see frequently - who are patient & understanding when it comes to speech-reading mistakes)

4) Some amount of basic instruction, preferably in person, however books/the internet works too :)

5) Practice, Practice, Practice

I know a number of people ( hearing, Hoh and d/Deaf) who are natural speech-readers. They are just are able to SEE SPEECH much more easily than most people - without any training or intensive "practice"...

On the other hand, I also know MANY Hoh & d/Deaf who really really struggle with speech-reading even after intensive instruction & practice!

It's important that people - especially those who are Hoh/d/Deaf themselves NOT make sweeping comments or generalizations about the ability of Hoh & d/Deaf people's abilities to speech-read ... in the end we only hurt ourselves by leading Hoh/d/Deaf people as well as hearing people to believe that Hoh/d/Deaf people are all - or even mostly - good or excellent speech-readers... leading them to assume that if they encounter a Hoh/d/Deaf person who can't speech-read it is somehow Hoh/d/Deaf person's fault or they aren't "trying hard enough".

Speech-reading is much more of an Art, than a science ... it's a talent that some people posses - much like a talent for painting, sculpting, dance, music, or anything else. While it IS a skill that may be refined with practice and instruction ... it's simply not realistic to expect that all people who study speech-reading will become proficient at it ... any more than it is to expect that someone who receives instruction in painting will become as skilled as Van Gogh, DiVinci, Michelangelo etc.

I lip-read a bit. I have learned to do it over time from early childhood since I could never hear clearly, even with HA's.

Still after 46 years, I only get 3 out of 10 words somewhat clearly. Don't have any hope of getting any better. I have too much on my plate to worry with it.

Actually having "studied" speechreading at Canadian Hearing Society here in Toronto. The reason one can't grasped is that some constants are "down your throat"-impossible to read. Also, I understand one can't speechread vowels.
That is why is difficult- but paying attention to "context" can approximate what one is trying to speechread. It also tied into one's hearing. My speechreading ability went down over 20% when I was waiting in 2007:wave: for the Cochlear Implant operation at Sunnybroook, Toronto.
Advanced Bionics Harmony Atria-left ear July/07.

comes natural for me. although i did have to practice long long time diligently to get effecient at it. alot of mirror time. ech. but numbers are the worst for me still. but overall i depend on my lipreading skills 100% so out of nessesity ive learned how to sharpen them! and when u have to rely on them as i do you learn to become very skilled.

I don't have it; not my forte but research has shown that, at best, the average lip-reader gets about 30%. Of course, that could rise some with familiarity with people like close friends and relatives but for all practical purposes, its not reall effective.

For me, personally, the rate is considerably higher because I hear/comprehend and lip-read at the same time whenever possible.

That 30% sounds high, and we are talking about the AVERAGE speechreader. I was once the control subject in a university experiment where I was to speechread various people reading "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov, and the result varied, depending on who was reading the book aloud. I consider myself a very good speechreader but for some reason, there is a sort of "wall" that I cannot break through percentage-wise.

In my class we learned that only 30% of the English language is actually readable on the lips. The rest of the words are clarified by context. Also the best lip readers, today, are fluent in the language already. So if you speak english you can lip read english really well. Its creepy to turn the volume off sometimes on a hearing show, and just see how much you can get--very creepy.

Back during AG Bells' time, however, there was a deaf man, (I can't remember his name right now) but he didn't speak english at all and could not only lip read amazingly well, but he could tell where the person was from based on where their lips where or tongues during certain words. COOL right!

Hardly seems believable. Do you have a link?

I went to Oral school when I was a child and there I have learned to lip read.... one of the skills they have taught me how to lip read is feel the teacher's throat as she speaks while my eyes stares at the lips.... and from there, I have learned how to lip read without touching the person's throat. It takes years to practice the skill.... takes years to get hold onto the skill. Then it comes naturally to you when you got the grasp of lip reading.

But there will be times when you cant understand someone while lipreading due to some mumbling or if they had facial hair.... Its not always perfect... there are always chance that you could miss out on some converstation but for most part, you would catch on and understand quickly.

I went to Oral school when I was a child and there I have learned to lip read.... one of the skills they have taught me how to lip read is feel the teacher's throat as she speaks while my eyes stares at the lips.... and from there, I have learned how to lip read without touching the person's throat. It takes years to practice the skill.... takes years to get hold onto the skill. Then it comes naturally to you when you got the grasp of lip reading.

But there will be times when you cant understand someone while lipreading due to some mumbling or if they had facial hair.... Its not always perfect... there are always chance that you could miss out on some converstation but for most part, you would catch on and understand quickly.

Have you ever lipread a hairbrush? ;)

Lipreading came naturally to me. If you see videos of me when I was 3-4 years old, I was lipreading and understood what people said. When I see percentages like 30%, etc. in terms of understanding with speechreading, I find that number really low. I understand 80-90% of people that I can lipread. But those who mumble or move their lips really weird, that percentages drops steeply, but those account for maybe 30% of the people I meet. (Probably higher now, since I moved to Alabama, THANK YOU SOUTHERNERS! :mad:)

I think practicing through TV is really hard and odd. You NEED to have context when you lipread. There's only spots where the TV actually shows the person's face, and you've already missed what was said before, which would make the lipreading harder. We all know that words look similar to each other, but it's easier to differentiate them by knowing what the context is.

I'd say practice through REAL LIFE only, not through TV. One on one is best.

Also, if you cannot understand a word even when repeated, I just ask for another similar word, and most of the time, you can put the 2 and 2 together.

That 30% sounds high, and we are talking about the AVERAGE speechreader. I was once the control subject in a university experiment where I was to speechread various people reading "Foundation" by Isaac Asimov, and the result varied, depending on who was reading the book aloud. I consider myself a very good speechreader but for some reason, there is a sort of "wall" that I cannot break through percentage-wise.

When someone reads from a book, they read it somewhat monotonically and facing down on the book and that makes it harder to lipread.

Lipreading came naturally to me. If you see videos of me when I was 3-4 years old, I was lipreading and understood what people said. When I see percentages like 30%, etc. in terms of understanding with speechreading, I find that number really low. I understand 80-90% of people that I can lipread. But those who mumble or move their lips really weird, that percentages drops steeply, but those account for maybe 30% of the people I meet. (Probably higher now, since I moved to Alabama, THANK YOU SOUTHERNERS! :mad:)

I think practicing through TV is really hard and odd. You NEED to have context when you lipread. There's only spots where the TV actually shows the person's face, and you've already missed what was said before, which would make the lipreading harder. We all know that words look similar to each other, but it's easier to differentiate them by knowing what the context is.

I'd say practice through REAL LIFE only, not through TV. One on one is best.

Also, if you cannot understand a word even when repeated, I just ask for another similar word, and most of the time, you can put the 2 and 2 together.

When someone reads from a book, they read it somewhat monotonically and facing down on the book and that makes it harder to lipread.

You're kidding me, right? That breaks up the train of thought, and all context goes right out the window and the orgy begins.
Just kidding, lol.
Up to a point.

Anyway, I envy your skill at speechreading, and my hat is off to you.

You're kidding me, right? That breaks up the train of thought, and all context goes right out the window and the orgy begins.
Just kidding, lol.
Up to a point.

Anyway, I envy your skill at speechreading, and my hat is off to you.

Hahaha. Thanks. I consider myself lucky to have the skills for lipreading. Since I didn't interact with many deaf people growing up (only those who had the same speech therapist as me), I thought all deaf people knew how to lipread. Man, I realized how wrong I was when I met more deaf people.

I think my life would be drastically different if I did not have good lipreading skills. I doubt I would have been mainstreamed.

The books I used at CHS Speechreading courses---
Your eyes Hear for you-a self-help course in speechreading Irving S Marcus. and
CHS Hearing Help Class-111 & 1V Speechreading-aural Rehab curriculum series 1997.

Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

Never took classes on lipreading so I am clueless as to how to perfect it.
I've mostly relied just on what I'm used to from personal experience, but it's nowhere great.

You guys got some tips to pass on? How do/did you practice?

You could have a friend or family member talk to you using no voice and see how you do. I had a speech teacher that would read to me from a book and I had to tell what the story was about. My teacher would sit sideway and have me read her lips without seeing her whole face. I was really good at lips and I still can do pretty good. My speech teacher told me had one one woman that lost her hearing and the woman was trying to learn how to lips read and she found it to be very tiring to try and read lips .

lip reading takes skill, and time to master. Took me awhile to get really good at it, even I am deaf and it's a challenge sometimes, but love the fact I can sit across the room and see what the ladies are saying bout me :P

The trick I use it I watch for common letters at the beginning of a sentences, and thats it for me, i just know what they're saying afterwards. Try practing with a friend, but dont use any voices. I believe they have videos online you can use to help too (it's a lot harder) but it shows different people of different races on it and the difficulty of each one.

Back