old grave

tuatara

pro-water
Premium Member
Reaction score
I've been riding my bike in a cemetery near my home lately. I never thought much of it because from the entrance it looks like a bunch of new shiny uninteresting headstones. But if you go way up the hill, there are all these beautiful old graves. This one isn't nearly the oldest, but it jumped out at me. (It didn't actually jump out at me. That would have been really scary.) Anyway, it got me wondering about who the first person buried there was. Or in any interesting old graveyard. Was it even a graveyard then? Or just "That hill where they buried old man Johnson"?

amylynne-albums-what-picture6077-grave.jpg

Cemetarys are nice to visit at night. Havent done it in years though.

When I'm in Connecticut, I visit the cemeteries where my family and ancestors are buried. Some of the old stones provide interesting information, more than they do on modern markers. For example, they often told how the person died.

One side of my family has their own large cemetery that was in use since the early 1600's thru early 1900's.

My other side of the family are buried in the newer cemeteries, from the early 1800's.

When I'm in Connecticut, I visit the cemeteries where my family and ancestors are buried. Some of the old stones provide interesting information, more than they do on modern markers. For example, they often told how the person died.

One side of my family has their own large cemetery that was in use since the early 1600's thru early 1900's.

My other side of the family are buried in the newer cemeteries, from the early 1800's.

Have you ever done any.......ummmm what's it called....stenciling......rubbings off gravestones?

Have you ever done any.......ummmm what's it called....stenciling......rubbings off gravestones?
I know what you mean. I prefer to take digital pictures. Many of the really old stones, prior to using granite in New England, are extremely fragile, and many cemeteries are discouraging rubbings on those.

I took a picture of a 200 year old cemetery in Harper`s Ferry in West VA. Let me see if I can upload it. It was awesome!

I used to be married to someone who was from Boston, so I spent a lot of time in New England. Got to see Paul Revere's, Louisa May Alcott, Henry David Thoreau, etc.'s gravestones. Really very interesting cemeteries. Paul Revere's is right downtown Boston !!

Here you go....

Attachments

• centery.jpg
    centery.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 16
you all make me tempt to take a picture of cementary that is nearby our home. mm i havent go into there yet. I plan to ... wish me a luck!

Two of my CT cemetery pictures. I thought this was interesting how the tree grew up around the stone.

Attachments

• grave_tree1.jpg
    grave_tree1.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 12
  • grave_tree2.jpg
    grave_tree2.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 10
We have a grave yard that is mostly of very old headstones , from the
1800's. There are some tombs there where people that had TB where buried.
Some kids broke into a tomb and coffin and took the head out and started playing catch with it. The health department had to close off the grave yard as they did not know there would a health risk of TB , there was no trace of the disease found on the bones . I was glad to hear that was walking Finlay near the park right next to the grave yard when his happen.

We have a grave yard that is mostly of very old headstones , from the
1800's. There are some tombs there where people that had TB where buried.
Some kids broke into a tomb and coffin and took the head out and started playing catch with it. The health department had to close off the grave yard as they did not know there would a health risk of TB , there was no trace of the disease found on the bones . I was glad to hear that was walking Finlay near the park right next to the grave yard when his happen.

:shock::shock::shock::shock:

There is a cementary a block from my house, I have walked past it several times now to get something to eat or go to the hardwarestore. There is some dating back to 1700's. The city has been doing a lot of work lately and the rod iron fence was removed and Pole/chain set in place now, but part of the fence was eaten by a tree so they left it in place and cur around it... I will try to get pictures sometimes soon and post up.

Has anyone tried walking through a cemetery on Halloween night?

One time, in my 20s, on a foggy night with a full moon, my friends and I took a hike through a cemetery to see what it was like. Was definitely very spooky.

Back