Newb from Missouri

sonocativo

Reaction score
Hello,
My name is Mike, I was born with inner ear nerve deafness, tried hearing aids in gradeschool back in the early 70's but they didnt help, wasnt till 2008 I finally got some digitals since my employer was compaining of concerns for safety as I was a Civil service Employee with the government for 15 years, until I encountered a spinal injury in 2009 and was terminated since I was undergoing 1-1/2 years of recovery after having my c3-c4 and c6-c7 fused in my neck, combined with other past injuries and my hearing I am now 100% disabled and it sucks.
My audiologist said within the next couple years I will be legally deaf as I already am without any aids, but they arent helping me much anymore as they are maxed out. I recently completed ASL I with 2 credits in college but dont really know anyone who is deaf or knows ASL to practice and learn with to become more fluent. I have also been teaching my 2-1/2 year old son ASL so we can communicate, he actually knows more asl than words now and can tell me what he wants which is awesome!
Got lots more to say but dont want to bore you with my first day here...lol
Just found the site by accident searching for ASL themed tattoos, Kinda browsed through and decided to join.

Thanks RockinRobin,
I am seriously thinking to get a service dog, as I cant hear smoke detectors and the such, I almost live in a world of total silence.... Hearing people dont know the true feeling of their gift until its gone, and Im experiencing it now.

A flashing alarm system would be quicker and more effective than a dog.

I wonder, if you are profoundly deaf, do you know what the sign in your avatar means.

:wave:

A flashing alarm system would be quicker and more effective than a dog.

I wonder, if you are profoundly deaf, do you know what the sign in your avatar means.

:wave:

Vocational Rehab wont give me the flashing alarms/bed shaker/ect... as they put out thousands on my HA for them to be free to me. Guess I need to keep fighting for it? I am profound deaf, within the next few years I will be completely deaf as my Audiologist has told me.
No, I dont know what my advatar means so Please do tell me. Thanks

Thanks Smithtr, I am enjoying it already, such a great bunch here!

I got compression fracture in my back. I think it is L1, L3. I cannot remember which, but I've not been doing much to work on them.

Welcome to AllDeaf:)

Sorry to hear about the disability. Really neat about your son learning so much asl. Did you find any cool tattoos?

Welcome to AllDeaf:)

Sorry to hear about the disability. Really neat about your son learning so much asl. Did you find any cool tattoos?

No, Havent found any tattoos yet that I like for the world of the deaf, hope to find a few ideas soon.

your welcome, Great! I like your avatar :P

Thanks, I like the husky breeds, My Uncle had a Malimute I was suppose to get since he couldnt take him where he moved ( sadly Igor passed away shortly before the move ) The dog was an elder, really awesome with bi-colored eyes. I played with that dog every time I visited and just laid outside with him in the shade. I want to one day own a husky.

Thanks, I like the husky breeds, My Uncle had a Malimute I was suppose to get since he couldnt take him where he moved ( sadly Igor passed away shortly before the move ) The dog was an elder, really awesome with bi-colored eyes. I played with that dog every time I visited and just laid outside with him in the shade. I want to one day own a husky.

your welcome Really!! wow!! I favorite husky! wow sorry hear your feeling bad!

I understand! my mom is dog escape run :( german I remember husky look likes I missing to husky! I love my husky! my mom is very cry! I know! I love husky! I tell you! I wonder my dogs is escape I don't understand I want to see dogs husky is beautiful!

These are a few of the pups Ive owned...
so far all I can find is Karma, she had some sort of mental issue so we had to give her back to the shelter sadly.
Our Black lab Conan is still in the family, just got too big ( Rot Mix ) so had to give him to our Cousin who had the room for him to run, He is currently around 150 pounds..whooo, a big beast he is. Ill find a pic and post later.
Did find Conan the lab , Sparky the Jack Russel, spencette the snake in my albums as well to update this
http://s250.photobucket.com/albums/gg270/sonocativo/pets/

Attachments

• IMG_4537.jpg
    IMG_4537.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Back