New boyfriend, new communities

llanderr

Reaction score
I'm new to the whole being in a relationship with deaf guy, I know some sign language cause when I was starting high school my grandfather began to go deaf so I started to teach myself so when he went deaf I could sign to him to surprise him(but unfortunately he passed away and never got to show him). Now I know enough asl to communicate with my boyfriend but I'm very slow at finger spelling and remember a lot of signs! I was wondering if I can have a tutor(someone to teach me to sign a lot better for my boyfriend! It would be strongly appreciated!!!!
Xoxo lander

Sent from my iPhone using AllDeaf

I'm new to the whole being in a relationship with deaf guy, I know some sign language cause when I was starting high school my grandfather began to go deaf so I started to teach myself so when he went deaf I could sign to him to surprise him(but unfortunately he passed away and never got to show him). Now I know enough asl to communicate with my boyfriend but I'm very slow at finger spelling and remember a lot of signs! I was wondering if I can have a tutor(someone to teach me to sign a lot better for my boyfriend! It would be strongly appreciated!!!!
Xoxo lander

I have a deaf boyfriend
I can help:)

Yay that's great! Could we skype or something so you can teach me asl more fluently

I am not that good with grammar but I can help you with vocabulary :) and sure :) ashley.cothren
I also have a vp if your boyfriend has one that he lets you use lol

Vocab is great I can work on the grammar with him once I'm improved! Yesterday we went and a date and I put in ear plugs the whole time and sign all day to my boyfriend (cause he wanted me too do that for him) I'm not sure if he has a video phone but I will ask!

Last edited:
Vocab is great I can work on the grammar with him once I'm improved! Yesterday we went and a date and I put in ear plugs the whole time to see what it was like to be deaf and sign all day to people! I'm not sure if he has a video phone but I will ask!

You up earplugs to see what is like to be deaf?? Not cool and it isn't the same at all

Vocab is great I can work on the grammar with him once I'm improved! Yesterday we went and a date and I put in ear plugs the whole time to see what it was like to be deaf and sign all day to people! I'm not sure if he has a video phone but I will ask!

Oh my dear lord..... Are you friggin kidding me right now, or are you actually serious? I hope to God you are kidding....

epic-facepalm-when-you-just-know-you-messed-up-demotivational-poster-1253705267.jpg

Oh my dear lord..... Are you friggin kidding me right now, or are you actually serious? I hope to God you are kidding.... :mad2:

epic-facepalm-when-you-just-know-you-messed-up-demotivational-poster-1253705267.jpg

I am not at all defender her actions but I doubt she know how to treat the Deaf or anything about Deaf culture

If the guy you're dating is in fact Deaf and knew about that, I'd be surprised if he went on a second date....

If the guy you're dating is in fact Deaf and knew about that, I'd be surprised if he went on a second date....

I completely agree, i have never pretended to be Deaf with my bf (who is Deaf) I consider myself hearing because I grew up hearing but my bf calls me HOH because of my tinnitus and my struggle with understanding people when they are talking

You up earplugs to see what is like to be deaf?? Not cool and it isn't the same at all

I think it is a good idea for a hearing person to try out what it is like to be deaf by using the earplugs. I don't know if that work to keep sounds out or just muffle out the sound. She will have first hand in experiencing what it is like to be deaf.

I remembered that someone told me at the Hearing Society that when a new person who is hearing find the place so quiet but will like to try wearing a sort of like hearphones, only that it is quiet so that hearing person can not hear the sounds at all. It will help the hearing person understand why deaf people can not hear, even with hearing aid for pick up words which is difficult not understanding the words. Most often it is the environment sounds that we hear which is not accurate.

If you are hard of hearing, then you know what it is like when it come with no sounds or manage to hear with muffled sounds. You said that your boyfriend said that you are hard of hearing so you must be as you have tinnitus and you are experiencing hard to understand what people said. Do you have hearing aid(s)? If you do, then you are HOH. If not, then you need to go to the audiologist to get hearing test to see how much you have lost your hearing. But for Llanderr, she is fully hearing and did not know what it is like to be deaf so she had to tried and find out why the deaf has a hard time not hearing the sounds.

Mew, will you quit making rude remarks when she is interest in understanding about deafness and Deaf Culture. She want to sign with her boyfriend. She might pretend to be deaf but she wanted to learn about the experience of being deaf. It won't last anyway. Just like people who are not blind want to know what it is like to be in the dark and never be able to see at all. They used blindfold (usually the black cover pads over their eyes). They are curious about blind people.

Wearing ear plugs for any point of time hardly simulates being deaf...... I have spoken to people with earplugs in... ( When the hospital was under construction ) and they were able to hear me... Without a device I am unable to hear... earplugs in your ear you're still able to hear... it may be muffled or less clear... but it's still there... it doesn't simulate being deaf in any way... maybe it might simulate being HoH... but not deaf... There is a difference.

try using sound-cancelling headphone but it's expensive. cheaper alternative - ear plug + ear muff (designed for construction or shooting) - the higher rating, the better as you'll hear almost nothing.

Nooo everyone I didn't mean I like that I should have phases that better! I'm so sorry to offend anyone! It was my boyfriends idea to put in ear plugs! I know that using ear plugs is not at all the same as being deaf or hoh! after I posted that I realized how that sounded but didn't have my phone to correct it! I'm truly sorry to everyone that offended! Please please please excuse my ignorance

You up earplugs to see what is like to be deaf?? Not cool and it isn't the same at all sounds

My boyfriend brought me ear plugs and noise cancel ear muffs Because he wanted see how I would do with hearing everything muffled but it canceled most sounds for me only Heard Horns and the trains! It wasn't in anyway my idea & it wasn't to mimic or offend deaf people! It was just my boyfriend trying to see how id do with that! Now I feel like I'm not welcomed here and I truly didn't mean to offend anyone! I'm sorry again everyone

Nooo everyone I didn't mean I like that I should have phases that better! I'm so sorry to offend anyone! It was my boyfriends idea to put in ear plugs! I know that using ear plugs is not at all the same as being deaf or hoh! after I posted that I realized how that sounded but didn't have my phone to correct it! I'm truly sorry to everyone that offended! Please please please excuse my ignorance

eh don't worry about it. there will always be some people who will get offended. can't make everybody happy anyway.

Ok calm down lol, I know you don't understand I can help you with that and some Deaf etiquette :) I am a little protective of the my Deaf community because I see the ignorance and have been subjected to it as well. There is a book that I read about Deaf perspective of how the hearing treat the Deaf, good and bad, it will really help you :) and you should explain to your boyfriend that it isn't the same to use earplugs at all, my friend tried it and she could hear everything

I think it is a good idea for a hearing person to try out what it is like to be deaf by using the earplugs. I don't know if that work to keep sounds out or just muffle out the sound. She will have first hand in experiencing what it is like to be deaf.

I remembered that someone told me at the Hearing Society that when a new person who is hearing find the place so quiet but will like to try wearing a sort of like hearphones, only that it is quiet so that hearing person can not hear the sounds at all. It will help the hearing person understand why deaf people can not hear, even with hearing aid for pick up words which is difficult not understanding the words. Most often it is the environment sounds that we hear which is not accurate.

If you are hard of hearing, then you know what it is like when it come with no sounds or manage to hear with muffled sounds. You said that your boyfriend said that you are hard of hearing so you must be as you have tinnitus and you are experiencing hard to understand what people said. Do you have hearing aid(s)? If you do, then you are HOH. If not, then you need to go to the audiologist to get hearing test to see how much you have lost your hearing. But for Llanderr, she is fully hearing and did not know what it is like to be deaf so she had to tried and find out why the deaf has a hard time not hearing the sounds.

Mew, will you quit making rude remarks when she is interest in understanding about deafness and Deaf Culture. She want to sign with her boyfriend. She might pretend to be deaf but she wanted to learn about the experience of being deaf. It won't last anyway. Just like people who are not blind want to know what it is like to be in the dark and never be able to see at all. They used blindfold (usually the black cover pads over their eyes). They are curious about blind people.

I don't have hearing-aids and anyway my bf would probably destroy them because he is anti-hearing aid/CI I was going to make another appointment but I have heard the audiologists here are bad, like my friend who is really HOH and does wear hearing aids the audiologist told him that he didn't need the hearing aids because when the guy was sitting next to him my friend could understand :( so I was going to wait until I move to Arizona

I don't have hearing-aids and anyway my bf would probably destroy them because he is anti-hearing aid/CI I was going to make another appointment but I have heard the audiologists here are bad, like my friend who is really HOH and does wear hearing aids the audiologist told him that he didn't need the hearing aids because when the guy was sitting next to him my friend could understand :( so I was going to wait until I move to Arizona

When you move to arizona, start to check with V.R. if you do not have a job. So some states that VR do pay for hearing aids but they may pay cheap hearing aids, though.. In case you wonder.

When you move to arizona, start to check with V.R. if you do not have a job. So some states that VR do pay for hearing aids but they may pay cheap hearing aids, though.. In case you wonder.

Thank you :) I don't know anyone in Arizona and my bf is down there right now so I know I will have more Deaf friends than hearing so I am not in a hurry :)

Back