NC or SC schools for the deaf??

chastitydi

Reaction score
I am the mother of a 2 y/o daughter who is HOH, we are considering relocating to NC or SC and I'm wondering about the schools in Morganton, NC or Spartansburg, SC. I have been to both school websites but I'm looking for info/ opinions from other parents. Any info is greatly appreciated, Thanks

I don't know much about those schools, sorry. (One of them was actually my first school when I was three, though. ;) ). Have you had the chance to see if there are parent support programs in either state? Maybe some parents from those programs could provide you with some insights?

I think that it would be a good idea for you guys to explore these towns to see if the environment looks good for your daughter. It is only way for you to be there and find out what are the pros and cons.

It might be fun for your kid to explore toward nature and less pollution of vision such as signs and traffic, learn about hiking later, animals, ponds, etc. The girls like to learn about environment stuff. Some boys are rather to follow their father in sports and city - who cares. It is just my opinion.

Some towns are very far part. My sister lives in S.C. She drives 25 minutes to a food store and another 20 minutes to a hardware store. Also, 45 minutes to an international airport. She also stop at a feeding store in a small town for her horses' food which takes a least 35 minutes. I love the country, but everything is far away.

Ah, southern states are tend slower in the business than in northern states. I thought that it was a tale story, and these people are right that it's the reality. Another example, Northern drivers drive crazily and southern drivers are somewhat slow and calm. That's what you have to think about. Shh, there are a lot of red necks in southern states that I visited many places - some places are okay and other places are definitely not ok.

My wife and I have lived in lower SC since 1978. Many changes in the development of either NC or SC have been dramatic. We visited SCSDB a couple of times in the Spartanburg area. It seemed to be a nice area. So many northerners have migrated south that traffic seems the same.

Weather in NC is about the same as northern SC. Four true seasons.

If you have the time, it would be good to visit both areas and check out both schools in person. We have met people who attended SCSDB but it was many years ago.

I like the slow things around in southern. I have met a few people at some stores in S.C. and they told me about the differences. The only thing that I like is that in southern states have longer warm seasons than in northern states. Some people said that they complaint about the invisible tiny bugs which are hard to get rid of for the outdoors. I have seen many gourd birdhouses hanging on the trees or poles which is nice. It's obvious that the birds' job is to catch the bugs for their big dinner.

Hey, Reba. Thanks for the link. I gotta show it to my sister if she decides to be an interpreter again someday.

The good news is that the early childhood departments at Deaf Schools ROCK! They really do. I seem to recall some discussion about one of the Deaf Schools you mention , being mostly for kids with multiple issues. I can't remember which one.
I wish Lady Duke was here......she is an alum of one of the schools.
I know one of the schools you mentioned was classfied as a Blue Ribbon School....which is awesome!!!! It's awesome you're looking into Deaf Schools!!!! I am VERY impressed that you think enough of Deaf Schools, that you're automaticly looking into them!!!! :)

Thanks Reba for the link, I will check that out...

deafdyke, nice to see you are still here. I have pretty much known for a while I would send her to a deaf school if at all possible. We have been going to a baby/toddler playgroup at WPSD since she was just a few months old and we love it there. I will definitely send her there if we remain in PA. However, I grew up in the south and really miss the warmer weather and thought SC/NC would be a good compromise but really want to be sure there is a good deaf school for her. I just feel (totally just my own perspective b/c I'm hearing and this is all very new to me) why fight and struggle with teh public schools to get what she needs or deserves when it's already available at a deaf school and the focus is then just getting a good education not her being deaf. I want her to be confident and well educated. So why put her in a situation where she may not get that. If she chooses to mainstream down the road I will support that but only if she wants it. I kinda go with what works for the child whether it is my baby who happens to have a hearing loss or my hearing children. Right now I have one who cyber schools (works for her) and two children in a private school but we are trying public school next year. If it works "Yay" if not we'll go from there. So I guess my next move is to improve my ASL skills, my baby is catchingup to my pathetic signing, I need to stay a step ahead. Plus I don't want to rely on interpreters with all of our new friends. * I also think the exposure to fluent ASL at a deaf school will only benefit her throughout life, there are just some things she will get at a deaf school I can't give her at home.

I remember my old best friend attended several hearing schools most of his life in KY. His grammar and reading were excellent. He entered a private deaf school when he was about 16 years old, and he was doing fine. Later, he decided to attend at Gallaudet for his own preference because he enjoyed to be with deaf students. He never thought about deaf schools when he was a little kid. I believe that most of his life was good. He had good memories with deaf friends included me. Unfortunately, he had a mono when he was at Gallaudet as a freshman.

I think that it would be a good idea if you visit these deaf schools in NC/SC and look at some kids' essay on the wall in the hallway because you would want to make sure that their grammar are good so that you would know that their teachers are doing a good job.

Actually, my mother was disappointed to see some essays on the walls that their grammar was not quite perfect when she visited me at my deaf school in Massachusetts. I really hope that the teachers are doing a good job in these deaf schools in NC and SC.

Off record, I taught myself to study in basic German language that made my English improved. It was my hobby.

have pretty much known for a while I would send her to a deaf school if at all possible. We have been going to a baby/toddler playgroup at WPSD since she was just a few months old and we love it there. I will definitely send her there if we remain in PA. However, I grew up in the south and really miss the warmer weather and thought SC/NC would be a good compromise but really want to be sure there is a good deaf school for her. I just feel (totally just my own perspective b/c I'm hearing and this is all very new to me) why fight and struggle with teh public schools to get what she needs or deserves when it's already available at a deaf school and the focus is then just getting a good education not her being deaf. I want her to be confident and well educated. So why put her in a situation where she may not get that. If she chooses to mainstream down the road I will support that but only if she wants it. I kinda go with what works for the child
That's awesome!!!!! I'm so glad there are parents who actually get it about Deaf Schools! You might want to look and see if there are formal mainstream programs as well. Those can be really good....Maybe our posters who are staff at Deaf Schools can point you towards some good Southren Deaf Schools. I know FSDB is REALLY good!!!!!

Oh and you know......you should ask the parents at WPSD about their opinons on the deaf schools or local good mainstream programs. Sometimes, formal mainstream (the ones that have a lot of kids) dhh programs can be really good....and I believe that there are a lot of hoh kids in those sorts of set ups) The Deaf Ed community is VERY small, and there may be teachers and or families that can tell you where the good Deaf Schools are or if the Deaf Schools you're interested in are any good. It's too bad Rocky MT Deaf School or Kansas School isn't in the Carolinas.
And yes, you're not a native signer....and it is hard. But a lot of hearing parents here are not native signers.I believe jillo said that even if you make a modicum of effort in signing, it will give your kid a boost, even if your signing skills are not sophsicated. It takes time...you can learn along with her....and the Deaf community will love you for it!

well.... after more discussion with my husband I think we have decided to stay in PA. Although I would love warmer weather I really love WPSD. We are going to try to move closer to the school ( right now we are a little over an hour away). Now the only thing we are disagreeing on is when she should start. I think starting preschool at 3 would be best, he thinks we should wait until she is four. Any opinions?? I'm not trying to push her out the door but the impression I'm getting is the sooner she learns to sign the better.

Yay for staying in PA! WPSD is a SUPERB resource! Regarding starting preschool......I definitlty think that the sooner she starts preschool the better. I thought virtually ALL special needs preschoolers started school at three....I did, and so did virtually everyone else here. I agree with you...the sooner she gets exposure to ASL, the better! Kids are like sponges!
Is your husband kinda " Oh she's too young "or "she needs time to play!"

Yea, I think he sees her as baby still and he thinks full day is too much too soon but I think she needs to go at 3. He also brought up that our older children didn't go until four and they only went half days a couple times a week but they didn't have any special needs or hearing loss or speech delays. I'm confident I can teach her things just like I did the older children but I can't give her anything other than "hearing world". I can sign words to her but she needs more than that. We have our first of four transition meetings with the EI coordinator to discuss preschool so I think he will "get it" then and not think that I'm just making up the rules as I go. If I could go with her to preschool I would. I'm just that kind of mom but I also realize she needs to learn to "speak" for herself and know how to communicate without me doing it for her. I am a willing advocate but she needs to learn that as well. I know he thinks I'm trying to push too much on her at a young age but he doesn't spend all of his free time talking to deaf adults and professionals trying to understand the culture and what she needs like I do. Some days I feel like it is all I do. She deserves the best shot at life just like our other children and I'm determined to make it available to her. Sorry.... I get a little wound up. He frustrates me and I get crazy. I just don't want her saying as an adult... "I wish my parents would have ....." . We are so very lucky to be so close to WPSD and I'm very excited to get to move closer and we will be in a great school district for my other children. Oh and check this out ... my oldest has applied to college and her major is DEAF EDUCATION!!!! I am soooo excited. She really has been a wonderful help with her baby sister and obviously inspired.

but they didn't have any special needs or hearing loss or speech delays. I'm confident I can teach her things just like I did the older children but I can't give her anything other than "hearing world". I can sign words to her but she needs more than that. We have our first of four transition meetings with the EI coordinator to discuss preschool so I think he will "get it" then and not think that I'm just making up the rules as I go. If I could go with her to preschool I would. I'm just that kind of mom but I also realize she needs to learn to "speak" for herself and know how to communicate without me doing it for her. I am a willing advocate but she needs to learn that as well. I know he thinks I'm trying to push too much on her at a young age but he doesn't spend all of his free time talking to deaf adults and professionals trying to understand the culture and what she needs like I do.
Oh exactly. It is pretty much universal that kids with special needs attend preschool....and that is so awesome you realize that the deaf school will give her the tools for independance!!! :D

I really am trying to do right by her. I do get a little discouraged reading some posts. The lovely Mainstream vs Deaf School posts and neg things about parents ( I know not all parents -- or children are created equal ;) I just find my self questioning whether I'm doing the right thing but really feel that this school/preschool is the right move and I have known since she was just days old that ASL was the way we were going. I think it is a beautiful language and I want to communicate with my child with or without those ha's.

he lovely Mainstream vs Deaf School posts and neg things about parents ( I know not all parents -- or children are created equal
LOL.........those discussions can be heated. There's no easy answers. But on the other hand......I can't remember the exact thread, as it was a few years ago. But there was a thread where everyone basicly agreed that if possible dhh kids should start out in deaf ed, whether a Deaf School or formal dhh program, continue for a few years and then see where it goes from there. That way kids will get a solid foundation in deaf ed. Even the not so good deaf schools can offer a really amazing early educational experiance. Heck, I remember one of our blind deaf members, Hear Again saying that although blind ed is now basicly multihandicapped ed (b/c of changing demographics) she would still have any blind kids attend a blind preschool for their early childhood, and then see where it goes from there. You're being an awesome parent...you're being child centered, and acknowledging that a deaf school placement could be really good for her! That is AMAZING!
I think overall, what we are venting against is automatic kneejerk assumption that the mainstream/solotaire is always the best placement.

We have been to a few "family" events at WPSD and my hearing son wanted to know if he could go to school there, he just loved it. I giggled and told him that would be great and if I could I would send all of them there... I really think educationally it is a good school. So his next question was could he live in the playhouses at the playground.... he is a hoot. I remember being worried how our children would be with their little sister. Would they want to sign? Would they be embarassed? Would they understand all that was going on and how important speaking clearly and looking at her when they spoke would be? Would they understand why she needs Mommy a little more than them right now? I have to say I must have done something right with them because they have been absolutely wonderful with not only their sister but everyone at the school and with her therapists and doctors as well. They do try to learn new signs and "show off" to their friends. They are very loving and protective of their baby sister. My oldest has impressed me most. She goes in the booth with the audiologist to see how the equipment works and wants to know what the results mean and what they mean for her sister. She was going to go to school to be a dental hygienist and has completely changed her mind over the last year and wants to be a TOD. I really have to say the only negative experience we have had is a Speech Pathologist who just blatantly told me to stop signing with her..... well I sent a scathing letter to her office and we won't be seeing her again. As a matter of fact, it prompted me to start sitting on parent panels to let professionals know how their bias actions affect families. My signing with my child isn't for her to decide. I was just floored... she just said my child was right on track and she didn't see a need for her to come back until her yearly visit but to stop doing what I was doing. Why would I stop when it is working? I'm super proud of my little gal , she is 23 months and has over 95 words between speech and signing. Some she signs and sais, some she just signs, some she just says but she also understands me signing to her as well. Right now it's like a flood of signs from her, all that work has paid off. :)

well.... after more discussion with my husband I think we have decided to stay in PA. Although I would love warmer weather I really love WPSD. We are going to try to move closer to the school ( right now we are a little over an hour away). Now the only thing we are disagreeing on is when she should start. I think starting preschool at 3 would be best, he thinks we should wait until she is four. Any opinions?? I'm not trying to push her out the door but the impression I'm getting is the sooner she learns to sign the better.

My little one loved the parent infant program -- both of us (or with my husband) together for a couple of hours 3x a week at a school for the deaf -- all in ASL, deaf teachers, with interpreters for those of us who were brand new to ASL ( thank goodness!): she started that at 1yo! At 2 we began leaving her at an ASL- based daycare several times a week -- lots of great language exposure and she thrived! They let her visit prek 1x a week for several hours when she was 2.5, and she started formally the day she turned 3, 5 days a week, from early morning until afternoon. At 5, she's there everyday and LOVES school! I think the immersion is necessary for fluent language development, and we just didnt have the fluency at home to provide her with great adult and peer models early on. Still don't. So, I'm a big proponent of early early education, I adore our prek model and don't think 3 is too young in the right environment. Don't you love seeing those little ones bloom when they get ahold of a language? Amazing! All the best with your child.

Back