NC or SC schools for the deaf??

:gpost:

It doesn't matter how large or small, or how much experience a school district has with DHH students. They are still bound by federal regulations, some of which have the link provided above.

If they don't have as much experience with DHH students, that just requires people to put forth a bit more effort and educate them. That doesn't work, you file a compliance complaint or for due process.

Size of the district does not absolve them of their federal obligations.

Grendel, I know we haven't met.......but trust me. Fighting with a school district that is unfamiliar with how to educate dhh or other low incidence kids can be a nightmare in of itself. It's pretty much a fact that most school districts love fucking low incidence students over. They do not give a SHIT over the quality of a disabled kid's education. ALL they care about is giving a kid minimal accomodnations, so that they get the extra money a kid with an IEP brings to their school! Yes, fight with them with fedral regulations.....definitionly pursue that......and actually, I do think that if Minty does fight for accomondations, she will do really well. She does need real accomondations. This isn't just a case where some overprivilaged parent had their kid convently dx with ADD so that they can get extra time on tests and stuff like that. Minty you have a legit disabilty. That entitles you to lots of stuff.

Wow, it's been a while. New update!!! My daughter is now in Kindergarten at WPSD and doing great!!! We still love it :) No plans to do anything different. We did end up moving closer and she now rides a bus and loves it. My oldest (who cyber schooled) is now graduating college. My two teens are now in public school in our new hometown and they are both doing very well and on honor roll. All is good in the education world with us. I'm sure there will be bumps along the way but I am growing more confident that I can face them no problem. Our newest venture... we are participating in the shared reading program (galluadet) and so far it has been awesome!! Still striving to learn ASL. I believe it will be a lifelong adventure for this hearing mom but ... we are definitely communicating and laughing at our mistakes :)

Wow, it's been a while. New update!!! My daughter is now in Kindergarten at WPSD and doing great!!! We still love it :) No plans to do anything different. We did end up moving closer and she now rides a bus and loves it. My oldest (who cyber schooled) is now graduating college. My two teens are now in public school in our new hometown and they are both doing very well and on honor roll. All is good in the education world with us. I'm sure there will be bumps along the way but I am growing more confident that I can face them no problem. Our newest venture... we are participating in the shared reading program (galluadet) and so far it has been awesome!! Still striving to learn ASL. I believe it will be a lifelong adventure for this hearing mom but ... we are definitely communicating and laughing at our mistakes :)

AWESOME!!!!! She is getting a good solid dose of Deaf ed.... A thought....Wait until about second or third grade to think about any possible mainstreaming....That way she'll have a good solid academic foundation, and can give good feedback on which placement she likes better. I know of a lot of dhh whose parents DID send them to a Deaf School or a dhh program for preschool/kindergarten. They mistakenly thought that since their kid was doing SO well, they didn't "need" further specialized education/accomondations etc, and made the mistake of dumping them in the mainstream with a minimal accomondations approach (where they experianced the same stuff we always have) ......This doesn't mean that I think that ALL dhh kids should K-12 it at a Deaf School or program......just that it's a good idea to give them a good solid foundation, so they have an idea of how to compare the two experiances of specialized school vs mainstreaming, and they can verbally express which placement they feel is best for THEM. I guess what I'm trying to say is that the decision to mainstream needs to be child centered, and that dhh (and other low incidence kids) need a good solid couple of years in a specialized setting to figure out which educational setting is best for them.
I think if we did THAT mainstream bashing would drop like a rock....b/c education would be child centered!
I know it's hard learning ASL, but IMHO if a parent decides that their dhh kid needs to learn to talk, then the parents need to meet the kid halfway and learn ASL/Sign for them. It's only fair.

I love it when a parent finds such an amazing resource.....I realize not all Deaf Schools are good. BUT, when they have a lot of the right pieces of the puzzle they can be AMAZING! One wonders if the bad schools were reformed if they could turn into something really good.

Back