Name sign for President Obama (ASL and Subtitled)

jolie or others,

how do signs come about? for example, who determines what a sign will be? if someone says obama's name sign will be the letters o and b with the b signed as a flag, who has the authority to say that? just curious.

The sign has been made and created by Kirsti Grigg in the video posted in the first post of the thread. The sign has been based on the Obama's Presidental Logo, which is a blue block letter of 'O' and the american flag overlap (bottom half) of the letter, which kirsti grigg mentioned - that the flag is assembled to a flat B sign (ASL Version) and B is Obama's second letter of his last name. Does this make sense, Hear Again?

Translation:

Hi, my name is Kirsi Grigg.

First, I want to congratulate you for being elected as the president

Congraulations!

You might notice that i sign in asl, american sign language, due to the fact that i'm deaf
your presidental victory was an tremendous impact for americans. For us to witness traditions being broken for positive change - where everything becomes a possibility.

Quite inspiring...

(shows image of crowded americans with a poster saying 'change, we believe in')
(shows image of americans voting)
(shows image of sticker saying 'i voted!' and a badge of cartoon obama)
(image of a photo shoot on tv -- 'barack obama elected president')

*resumes diagloue*

..for the deaf community as well, we look up to that, inspiring change from you, obama.

But i realize something, you aren't aren't aware of something of importance...that you are now included in the deaf community by granting you an unique name sign. You see, name signs for the deaf community are significant just like everybody's names from their parents, who thought long and hard to decide what to name the children.

New parents, with a baby in their arms, spend time thinking up a perfect name and finally decide on the name and that is significant for everybody. Akin to that, for the deaf community it is our name sign. Take ny name as an example: K-i-r-s-i and my sign name is (k-on-the cheek).

Now for your name sign...we spent time thinking up quite for a while, figuring out what is good and we got it. We will use your logo as our inspirarion to create your name sign.

You may be curious about which logo i mean.

The logo with your first initial "o" and an american flag on the first initial..

(shows obama's presidental logo)

..let me explain how your name sign develops from that logo, recently shown.

The "o" represents the first letter in your name and now the american flag...becomes the secon letter of your name, "b" by simply rotating the wrist, the b becomes the flag now. Now the o is put together with the b flag... Nifty, huh?

However it is still needs more work and it is now developing into something...(shows the sign) obama.
Now you see your name sign...

(shows the obama sign --- o rotating into b representing into obama's name sign)
(shows an image similar to the obama's logo, but with the handshapes instead to show what it meant)

*resumes diagloue*

..now you do know your name sign which means....when you move to washington d.c and you get to meet people around and happen to meet a deaf person; by all means, go ahead and introduce yourself as president obama.

Welcome and we look forward to see you here in washington D.C."

this is quoted from kirsi's subtitles'

The girl in the video is from the west coast but is currently in the east coast for college. I suppose the sign she used is a nationwide/international sign.

Nika -- you're welcome..

Brain -- I presume, an San Deigo resident?

So why was there so much emphasis about "the first African -American President" prior to and during the inauguration? I thought that was a source of pride for the African-American community. At least that's what the TV and print news indicated.

Because that is an historical point of notice, just as JFK was known as the "first Catholic president." However, just because it is a point of historical significance and a statement to the progress that the American public has made, does not mean that his identity is founded on this one point alone.

Someone uses O(black) for Obama name. I feel that it s not good because it focuses on the fact that Obama is African American. I believe the namesign that O+B(flag), could be a good one.

Back