My GPS was stolen

That's why I neeeeever leave my GPS in my car when I am not driving it. I even feel I have to wipe the windshield clean of any GPS suction mark!

That's why I neeeeever leave my GPS in my car when I am not driving it. I even feel I have to wipe the windshield clean of any GPS suction mark!

Clever of you to do that because that telltale suction mark is exactly what crooks zero in on. 10 cc's of Windex, stat!!!

I think it's bit pointless to wipe it off cuz the thief isn't going to stick around for longer than 2 seconds after breaking window. they will not spend their time digging around, looking for GPS or trying to pry open the locked glove compartment.

just IMO

I am sorry to say this...

you deserved a Darwin award for leaving your Garmin gps in your truck. Just buy a friction mount and save some headaches. :eek3:

I think it's bit pointless to wipe it off cuz the thief isn't going to stick around for longer than 2 seconds after breaking window. they will not spend their time digging around, looking for GPS or trying to pry open the locked glove compartment.

just IMO

I don't put anything above crooks, Jiro. Most of them are dumb lugs anyway so I wouldn't at all be suprised if one does ransack the car looking for it. They're opportunists so i'm sure that they don't find it, they'll reach for anything else in there that peaks their interest.

I don't put anything above crooks, Jiro. Most of them are dumb lugs anyway so I wouldn't at all be suprised if one does ransack the car looking for it. They're opportunists so i'm sure that they don't find it, they'll reach for anything else in there that peaks their interest.

exactly. why blow their cover on car with suction cup mark on windshield that may or may not have GPS? It's not like they can go to next car and try again. once they break the window, they will run the fuck out and disappear. That's why i just hide mine under the seat or lock it in the glove compartment and i don't bother cleaning it

exactly. why blow their cover on car with suction cop on windshield that may or may not have GPS? It's not like they can go to next car and try again. once they break the window, they will run the fuck out and disappear. That's why i just hide mine under the seat or lock it in the glove compartment and i don't bother cleaning it

Lol, okay Jiro. :lol:

Lol, okay Jiro. :lol:

but then..... it'd suck big time for me if they actually pry open my glove compartment with a crowbar (which would result in further $$$ damage for me) and stole it... or found it under the seat... :doh:

but then..... it'd suck big time for me if they actually pry open my glove compartment with a crowbar (which would result in further $$$ damage for me) and stole it... or found it under the seat... :doh:

That was kinda the point that i was getting at. You know, them ransacking your car in pursuit of it? :P

Chevy57,

Do you have warranty from Garmin Co? If so, you can get a replacement for free.

Sorry to hear that. You are not alone about what happen. Alot of crazy people still get out and easily looking for someone's GPS from their cars around the shoppings. That awful.

Be careful !

Chevy57,

Sorry to hear that. You are not alone about what happen. Alot of crazy people still get out and easily looking for someone's GPS from their cars around the shoppings. That awful.

Be careful !

warranty does not cover stolen product.... only damaged product

I have my GPS. I never leave it in my car if i dont drive. I always carry it with me everywhere I go.

I am sorry that you lost it, Chevy57.

Chevy57,

Be careful !

my Garmin GPS device is over one years ago. City of Cleveland is bad crime and high thieves. I know that I should hide this device under storage if this area is bad.

I m disappointed that someone stole my Garmin Nuvi GPS on dashboard of my 2007 Honda CR-V near Cleveland Catholic Church this afternoon when he had damaged passenger s window. I was idiot that should hide it. I will contact my auto insurance to find out tomorrow.
I'm very sorry that your Garmin was stolen, and that your car was damaged. :(

GPS Windshield Mounts Tip Off Thieves

Navigation systems are now the number one item being stolen from cars. Thieves are on the lookout for your suction-cup windshield mount, or even the smudges it leaves on the glass. Here are some tips from GPS Magazine to keep your GPS safe:

Consider using a friction mount instead of the suction-cup windshield mount most GPS devices ship with. Friction mounts rest on the dashboard instead being attached to the glass, and can be easily hidden under the seat when the car is parked. Plus, there's no revealing ring on the windshield to tip off thieves.

If you do use a windshield mount, remove it when parking the car and wipe off the suction cup smudge.

Another good idea is to save your GPS's serial number on MyThings so if it is stolen, police will have the info they need to easily identify it as yours.

I had my GPS device with friction mount. I was idiot to hide it under my car's storage today.
Thanks for the tips. I hope I get a friction mount for my Garmin for Christmas. :)

Use google maps from point A to B and print it out? :)
I do that plus I use GPS. A Google map can't help you if your route changes while driving (accidents, detours, change of plans, etc.) Also, as a community terp, sometimes I get a short notice assignment to a new place, so there's no time to go home and print a map.

My SUV s new window was replaced by glass repair service today. I paid myself about $300. I will purchase new GARMIN device with friction mount early next year. I will look for it at low cost by Ebay. It s not so expensive less than $150

i hope you got less expensive GPS. Glad to know that your window were replaced..

I got new Garmin Nuvi 200W today when it s sale at $119.00 ($179.00 reg.price) in Target store. I got my mind to hide it when left from my car.

I am very sorry to hear that your GPS was stolen and also, your car was damaged but I am glad to hear that you bought another GPS. You better take it with you. I have one myself. I always take it with me where ever I go. (I put it in my purse along with my Sidekick LX and Blackberry Curve and a digital camera... Of course, my wallet..) :D

Back