Leakings on the Ceiling, Ugh!

Of course it is, so are showers/bathtubs, and bathroom sinks.

Yes, I remember the head of the apartment told me about it yesterday. Okay, I'll just keep in hat mind. Grrr ...

Liebling, don't worry about whoever is irresponsibility or not, at moment, everything was now solved. The manager was already deal with the people who lived on the third floor. But I don't know what she (manager) will do with them, but it's not my business for now. :)

I'm so glad that the problem is solved and hopes that the problem is solved to your satisfaction. ;)

As a tenant, you are legally responsible for the maintenance of your own unit when you stay in that unit. If you damage something, you can expect to pay for the bill after your landlord fixes the damage, accidental or not.

I didn't see your post until now, but I'm sorry I would have to disagree because that's not true, it depends on the cause of damaged and who's responsible. Tenants are not responsible for every damage that caused beyond their control. Tenants are responsible to keep their unit clean, safe, and are responsible for any property damage out of their carelessness from the result of negligence (like for an example the link you provided about a toaster burning that cause a fire) but, not something that they have no control over. Clogging is a very common trouble for toilets, it's beyond their control. But, if they accidentally dropped something down in the toilet that caused the toilet to clogged up (like make-up, a small toy or etc), then they may be responsible. That's up to the landlord or the apartment managements. :)

Call your landlord , this need to be fix right away! It is a health hazard , molds will grown in ceiling and that can made you sick. If the landlord does not fix it ,I would then call the health department and city building inspecter to see if the ceiling is safe , it could fall on your head . I would not pay my rent till the landlord fix the leak!

Now that I have more information about the damage, I asked a professional that I know very well for advice. He said:

After the leak has been stopped, the sheet rock that was wet around the light needs to be cut out because it is porous paper and chalky material that is very absorbent. It needs to be replaced, not just painted over. Otherwise, the smell and contamination will come back to haunt you.

About the floor, because it was sewage (called "black water") you must pull up the carpet and replace the padding because it can't be cleaned. The padding is not expensive. The carpet can be taken outdoors and both sides steam cleaned (heat is needed to kill the bacteria) and treated with Microban. If the wood subfloor under the carpet is stained it might require treating with bleach.

Then reinstall the carpet with a new pad.

Some carpet cleaning companies, and all restoration companies can do the carpet work.

A person who I know that deals with rental agents told me that any non-malicious damage is usually covered by the landlord. That is, the renter is charged only if the damage was intentional.

Renters insurance is for personal property only, not for damages to the rental building or fixtures. The landlord can hold the deposit for damages, or take the renter to court if the damage was intentional and extensive.

Renters insurance is for personal property only, not for damages to the rental building or fixtures. The landlord can hold the deposit for damages, or take the renter to court if the damage was intentional and extensive.

Right, personal property such as furniture that cause from a flood, fire and when your house has been robbed. Personal things that gone missing or damaged.

Right, personal property such as furniture that cause from a flood, fire and when your house has been robbed. Personal things that gone missing or damaged.
Correct. The things that belong to the renter.

Back