Leakings on the Ceiling, Ugh!

Oh no! I am sorry this happened to you robin!

That's gross, live things grew in your home!! EWW!!

This reminds me of the time I woke up to see a big crack in ceiling when I was 7. Turned out a pipe burst and I had to sleep in the basement for a week while they tore out my ceiling and replaced it.

Oh yes, I hope you can get it fixed soon!

Mrs Bucket and Liebling, I've been a renter for a very long time and never had to pay for anything out of my pocket or anything out from my renter insurance.

I had a plumbing problem, a flood from a sewage, a toilet leakage and gas leakage... those accidents happens, and it's nobody's fault. I do have renter insurance, that is to protect myself and my valuable belongings, if I've been robbed, or a house next to me has a fire, water that flood my house that cause damaged to my furniture, landlords don't pay for any replacement of your furniture, landlords pays for repairs that are damaged to the house such as flood, fire that cause from bad electricity, gas line leakage, and many more.

Actually, like what I said before that landlord is obligate to cover the cost for the damage like what you described because house belongs to landlord.

I mean is SENSELESS/IRRESPONSIBLE tenants...

Example of all:

Should your landlord cover the cost for the damage, you as an irresponsible tenant forget to turn off water from the tap? or you fall sleep without notice the water still running until flood everywhere... ? It´s not landlord´s responsible but you.

You said that the furniture replacement cover up by your renter insurance, not landlord but normally landlord should cover EVERYTHING including furniture replacement like damage carpet, sofa and wallpaper, etc. the bad electricity, leak, pipe, fire, etc. cause, not you.

You own a washing machine, cooker, mircowelle or whatever... One of them are blow up, you need to prove by the repair man that your washing machine is really blow up then your insurance cover up the replacement for you.

Was the washing machine belonged to you or the landlord? if the washing machine belonged to the landlord you shouldn't have to pay for it.

Yes I am well aware of this but I only use washing machine as an example because it was happened to me yesterday.

I was a former tenant for 3 years before bought a land to build my house. I don´t own a washing machine but paid a lady to wash and dry for us like she did for most tenants.

I don´t have to pay anything if I didn´t own a washing machine but landlord because it´s her washing machine. It would be different story if you own a washing machine...

I apologetic for not the update sooner.

Right now, it's fine for real. I will try to update for what happened this evening or so.

Liebling, it's a toilet and it was on the third floor while I lived on the second floor. I don't know if they used a toilet papers, or accidently flush a something that caused to filled up the toilet, or whatever it is. I still don't get some details yet. Wait see. :)

Cheri and Bucket, yeah, I remember about that one... it sucks. I know... =/ By the way, thanks for the comments, everyone. :)

See you this evening if possible.

Yea, I have had money taken out from my security deposit for any damage left on the premises. One time my old roommate and I threw a party at our old townhouse that we rented and someone damaged the mirror in one of the bathroom. That was taken out of our security deposit when we moved out.

Liebling, as for the washing machine blowing up and u having to pay for it...that doesnt make sense cuz you didnt cause it to do that, did you? Cheri is right on that one..u shouldnt have had to pay for it unless the laws are different in Germany. :dunno:

Karissa...I hope they fix the problem...water problems are probably one of the worst and messiest kind of damage to a building.

Read my 2 response post toward Cheri over the example of washing machine.

As a tenant, I own everything, like kitchen unit, carpet, washing machine, etc, not landlord. Landlord own most is bathroom is bathtub, toilet, sink and shower, that´s all... All rooms are empty for tenants to decorate and paint into color or wallpaper or whatever they like... If you request landlord to buy kitchen unit, etc. paint for you, then they have to raise your rent... For us... :nono: Accord agreement contract, we are obligate to pull the wallpapers off and paint all the wall into white... Empty everything where it belongs to us. The landlord introduced her future tenant who will live in our appartment to us... Landlord left us alone with her future tenants alone in our appartment. They likes our kitchen unit, we sold our kitchen unit, carpet and wallpaper to them before we moved out to live our house because it save their work on re-decorate... It´s good for us because we do not need to pull the wallpaper off and paint all the rooms into white..... All what we do is empty our belongs and sold things to tenant and move out ... They sold my kitchen unit to other tenant... and.... .... and.... :dunno:

Please ask if you are not sure about my post... and any questions?

As a tenant, I own everything, like kitchen unit, carpet, washing machine, etc, not landlord. Landlord own most is bathroom is bathtub, toilet, sink and shower, that´s all... All rooms are empty for tenants to decorate and paint into color or wallpaper or whatever they like... If you request landlord to buy kitchen unit, etc. paint for you, then they have to raise your rent... For us... :nono: Accord agreement contract, we are obligate to pull the wallpapers off and paint all the wall into white... Empty everything where it belongs to us. The landlord introduced her future tenant who will live in our appartment to us... Landlord left us alone with her future tenants alone in our appartment. They likes our kitchen unit, we sold our kitchen unit, carpet and wallpaper to them before we moved out to live our house because it save their work on re-decorate... It´s good for us because we do not need to pull the wallpaper off and paint all the rooms into white..... All what we do is empty our belongs and sold things to tenant and move out ... They sold my kitchen unit to other tenant... and.... .... and.... :dunno:

For the edification of American ADers, can you please describe a "kitchen unit"? In the USA, kitchen cabinets, counter tops, sinks, faucets, and stoves are included with the apartment. Sometimes dishwashers and refrigerators are also included.

U mean, you and the landlord own your house and rent out rooms? I am sorry but I am a little confused.

I can't believe it happened at my home. Some people, who lived on the third floor while I lived on the second one, messed up with their toilet and it flowed a lot of dirty water. It caused my ceiling to be leaked!...
I'm sorry that you had to go thru such a nasty mess. I've been there too, and it's not fun. I hope that the landlord repairs everything to your satisfaction.

It's common for water/sewage leaks to drip thru ceiling lights. Water will seek the easiest way to flow, and very often that's the opening that is made for light fixtures.

If any brown stains show thru the paint, use Kilz primer paint for stain and mold prevention (it's also good for blocking smokers' odor). Then, use regular paint after that.

Also, insist that the carpets be professionally steam cleaned (not shampooed), and sprayed with Microban or a similar product.

If your carpets and pads were totally soaked with sewage water they may have to be replaced, and the subflooring treated.

I hope that whatever the plumbing problem was, it is completely fixed so you won't have to experience it again.

Reba said it very well because some landlords will try to get away with so little money by shampooing the carpet.. hence the word.. slumlord.

Okay, one room on the third floor is now fine. So, good news, my floor is okay. It was good thing we were just in time to stop the flooding, otherwise we will deal with a such situation like what ADers said... So we got only some flood on the floor... Yeah, that's relief. But the ceiling is still need to be fixed so we will wait for landlords to come and repair it since it settled the appointment. :)

We keep our home smell so good. I used my freezie (sp) sprayer and some presumes and some stuff. :)

Liebling, it's a toilet and it was on the third floor while I lived on the second floor. I don't know if they used a toilet papers, or accidently flush a something that caused to filled up the toilet, or whatever it is. I still don't get some details yet. Wait see. :)

I knew it has to be a clogging up toilet, it's very common problem with toilets.

Liebling-- it doesn't mean they are careless by doing it on purpose, it's an accident waiting to happen. Some just don't realized that they are using too much toilet paper, they could rip it off the roll, ball it up with their hand, wipe their butt, put it in the toilet, then flushed and finds out the toilet is clogged up.

Liebling said:
Yes I am well aware of this but I only use washing machine as an example because it was happened to me yesterday.

I don't see how is that the same when you are the owner of the house, the washing machine belongs to you, it is your responsibilities. As a renter, you don't own the apartment, you don't even own the washing machine, the machines belongs to the apartments, they pays the repairs not you, unless you accidentally threw something down the machine to cause it to break, then you may have to pay for the repairs. But, that's up to the apartment managements. :)

For the edification of American ADers, can you please describe a "kitchen unit"? In the USA, kitchen cabinets, counter tops, sinks, faucets, and stoves are included with the apartment. Sometimes dishwashers and refrigerators are also included.

Yes that´s what I mean, all what you described is not included. We have to buy new kitchen unit and then sell kitchen unit (like what you described) to the future tenant before I move out IF I do not need kitchen unit. I have to empty kitchen unit for the future tenant if they do not need our kitchen unit before move out. It also does the same with house owner as well. If we want to sell our house for other house then we can sell our kitchen unit to the future buyer, too. I have to empty kitchen unit if the future buyer or tenant do not want it.

Landlord only own the apartment and house including electricity, pipes, etc. etc and toilets, bath and sink in the bathroom, floor and wall tiles and wooden, limate or tiles floor in all rooms.... that´s all.

U mean, you and the landlord own your house and rent out rooms? I am sorry but I am a little confused.

No, I own a house, not landlord.

I only use washing machine as an example IF I am still tenant of Lordland´s house or apartment.

I shared my experience as a tenant for 3 years before bought a land and build the house in 1989 what I know the tenant´s law, etc

Reba said it very well because some landlords will try to get away with so little money by shampooing the carpet.. hence the word.. slumlord.

Yeah, I know that most landlord like that... and tried to do anything to save their money.

A lot of landlord have agreement contract with their tenants that they are not responsible for carpets but floor tiles, wooden and liamate floor. They have to insure the carpet if they want to have carpet on... They have to remove the carpet or sell carpet to the future tenant before move out...

Liamante, wood and tiles floor are very common here in Germany... Many landlords own them, not carpet... because it´s too expensive for the landlord to hire company to shampooing the carpet or replace new carpet. There´re high insurance for the landlord if the carpet burnt by fire or leaking by flood etc.

I knew it has to be a clogging up toilet, it's very common problem with toilets.

Very common? :shock: ...

Liebling-- it doesn't mean they are careless by doing it on purpose, it's an accident waiting to happen. Some just don't realized that they are using too much toilet paper, they could rip it off the roll, ball it up with their hand, wipe their butt, put it in the toilet, then flushed and finds out the toilet is clogged up.

*sigh* I think you don´t get it. I use washing machine as an "EXAMPLE" and ASK you question is it okay for the landlord to cover the cost for their tenants who lack their responsible/sense - something like that forget to turn the water from the tap off etc.

I don't see how is that the same when you are the owner of the house, the washing machine belongs to you, it is your responsibilities. As a renter, you don't own the apartment, you don't even own the washing machine, the machines belongs to the apartments, they pays the repairs not you, unless you accidentally threw something down the machine to cause it to break, then you may have to pay for the repairs. But, that's up to the apartment managements. :)

Read my response post to Reba.

I answered all of your posts but you still don´t get it. It´s question about senseless/irresponsible, I am referring to.

unless you accidentally threw something down the machine to cause it to break, then you may have to pay for the repairs. But, that's up to the apartment managements.

:ty: for answer my question. That´s an exactly what I want to ASK you about irresponsible/senseless. The landlord do not cover the cost for their tenant´s irresponsible/senseless but tenants. Again, :ty: for answer my question. :)

Okay, one room on the third floor is now fine. So, good news, my floor is okay. It was good thing we were just in time to stop the flooding, otherwise we will deal with a such situation like what ADers said... So we got only some flood on the floor... Yeah, that's relief. But the ceiling is still need to be fixed so we will wait for landlords to come and repair it since it settled the appointment. :)

We keep our home smell so good. I used my freezie (sp) sprayer and some presumes and some stuff. :)

I´m glad that it´s good news for you. I hope everything goes smooth for you... :hug:

Very common? :shock: ...
What is so shocking about that? :confused:

I answered all of your posts but you still don´t get it. It´s question about senseless/irresponsible, I am referring to.
What makes you think they did was irresponsible? I don't see anywhere that KarissaMann05 had stated anything about being irresponsible, and I don't even know why you had to bring that up on this thread.

:ty: for answer my question. That´s an exactly what I want to ASK you about irresponsible/senseless. The landlord do not cover the cost for their tenant´s irresponsible/senseless but tenants. Again, :ty: for answer my question. :)
I didn't say that, I said 'You may have to pay for the repairs, it's up to the apartment management.' Every landlord is different, they may force you to pay, and they may not. :dunno:

What is so shocking about that? :confused:

Yes I am shock when you said that it´s very common.

What makes you think they did was irresponsible? I don't see anywhere that KarissaMann05 had stated anything about being irresponsible, and I don't even know why you had to bring that up on this thread.

I already said that we NEVER KNOW either the tenant who cause KarrisMann´s ceiling is an irresponsible or not and ASK questions about the law over irresponsible/senseless, the landlord should cover the cost or not. Simple answer Yes or No. I explained the example what irresponsible/senseless means.

I suggest to wait for the update.

I didn't say that, I said 'You may have to pay for the repairs, it's up to the apartment management.' Every landlord is different, they may force you to pay, and they may not. :dunno:

That is an exactly answer what I want to ASK you about.

Your answer is good enough. :)

Back