Leakings on the Ceiling, Ugh!

KarissaMann05

Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't believe it happened at my home. Some people, who lived on the third floor while I lived on the second one, messed up with their toilet and it flowed a lot of dirty water. It caused my ceiling to be leaked!

I kept change bowels each the bowel was filled... ugh...

My ceiling look so horrible... =/

IMG00122.jpg

[ An alarm, on the ceiling, with a flashing blub, was fulled some water inside. The leaking was dripping. ]

IMG00123.jpg

[ A blub on the ceiling was leaking all down way. ]

IMG00124.jpg

[ A tawny floor was full of wet and a bowl with musky water. ]

IMG00125.jpg

[ Two bowls were placed on where the dripping came from the alarm and ceiling. Some wet on the floor... ]

After leaking had stopped, and here's pictures look like. It's awful. =/

IMG00126.jpg

[ A swollen pump on the ceiling is displayed, which is the water inside. ]

IMG00127.jpg

[ Some vein-like bumps on the ceiling a few inches away from the alarm. ]

IMG00128.jpg

[ Near the light bulb on the ceiling, there is some tiny bumps and the another one is large bump. ]

In the bathroom, there was a slight cracking on the ceiling, so yes, there was leaking... but I tried to take some photos, sadly, all of them are too hard to see. But I just tell you the truth, that's all. :)

Seriously, it was so smelly! :ugh: So my roommates and I already called manager about it and she told me what happened. Someone will come in to fix the ceiling...

Oh, bummer. =/

EDIT: I forget to say. The bowl-like glass for the bulb on the ceiling was there when it leaked. I went to talk with one of roommates about what happened and I went back where the leaking was. I saw the bowl-like glass fell and splashing anywhere! It's because of leaking filled a water inside... It's good thing it did not break. Phew. :roll:

That's too bad. I am sorry you had such a mess in your apartment.

The fire alarm bulb was covered in water - if it is, needs to be replaced inevidently.

Bott - Yep. =/

JClarke - Yeah, it is. I'm aware that. Someone will come in tonight, I think?

Wow, that's a big mess! I hope they will do a good job to fix all that mess. Is someone above you gets into trouble for causing a mess? That's no fun to go through this big hassles. :(

Why would someone get in trouble for causing that mess? A flood is nobody's fault, things like this just happens and it's rare for homeowners, and renters never has any trouble or problems with their toilets and clogging is the most common toilet trouble.

KarissaMann05, I know how you feel, it had happened to me before. I hope they will fix the problem by replacing the ceiling and shampoo clean your carpet. ;)

Why would someone get in trouble for causing that mess? A flood is nobody's fault, things like this just happens and it's rare for homeowners, and renters never has any trouble or problems with their toilets and clogging is the most common toilet trouble.

Actually tenants can be liable for damage they cause inadvertently, this is why you should have tenants' insurance. When hubby and I moved into this flat, we had to purchase tenants' insurance before we could sign the lease.

Legally, we had to purchase tenants' insurance otherwise we wouldn't be able to rent out an unit from this place. It's for damages such as this.

Make sure you look into the lease clause too as well.

Lease Clause

When tenants damage something in their rental unit they must expect to pay for it without arguing and getting angry about it. Having a lease clause telling tenants that you expect them to pay for any damage that occurs while they are in possession of the property will reduce arguments when you send them the repair bill.

That why I never want apartment. If I were you I request another room because I bet they will not replace ceiling but just patch.

I bet tenants use those STUPID plastic plunger that what cause pipe CLOG then it end flow to somewhere open pipe

It happened to me when I was Janitor at school. they have 3 floors. I was in #2 and someone try fix toilet #3 they try new plastic plunger they was surprise how it easy to use then next day I spend clean classroom because sewage fell from those title on ceiling. Teacher was Pissed off when it drop sewage on desk that have grade report and exam that was for final that students was not happy and got exam again. You should see her face it look like it blow up anytime.

wtf @ Milwaukee's story. eeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww

Oh my dear, KarissaMann05.

Your neighbor have to pay the damage, they cause at your apartment. I´m very sorry and know how you feeling... :hug::sad:

Guess what, I also had similar happened as yours yesterday... My 17 years old washing machine blow up in laundry room of the basement. The smoke goes everywhere as I open the laundry room door... I cough and open all the windows... :giggle: The repair man will come today, to have a look. I need his confirmation to prove the insurance company that my washing machine is really blow up then I will get new one as replacement.

The tenants cannot expect that their lordland cover up the cost for senseless tenants. The lordland only cover the cost when its happened, not tenant´s senseless.

We never know either KarissaMann05´s neighbor is senseless or not. It could be that her neighbor forget to switch water off from the water tap or leave water flood?

I am waiting for the upate.

Actually tenants can be liable for damage they cause inadvertently, this is why you should have tenants' insurance. When hubby and I moved into this flat, we had to purchase tenants' insurance before we could sign the lease.

Legally, we had to purchase tenants' insurance otherwise we wouldn't be able to rent out an unit from this place. It's for damages such as this.

Make sure you look into the lease clause too as well.

Lease Clause

Yes, me too. My hubby & I use to have insurance similar what you have when we live at one bedroom appartment for 3 years before buy the land and built the house.

Example: my washing machine blow up in my rent apartment... cause the damage... who pays? of course me, not lordland. that´s why we had insurance to make sure.

Mrs Bucket and Liebling, I've been a renter for a very long time and never had to pay for anything out of my pocket or anything out from my renter insurance.

I had a plumbing problem, a flood from a sewage, a toilet leakage and gas leakage... those accidents happens, and it's nobody's fault. I do have renter insurance, that is to protect myself and my valuable belongings, if I've been robbed, or a house next to me has a fire, water that flood my house that cause damaged to my furniture, landlords don't pay for any replacement of your furniture, landlords pays for repairs that are damaged to the house such as flood, fire that cause from bad electricity, gas line leakage, and many more.

Example: my washing machine blow up in my rent apartment... cause the damage... who pays? of course me, not lordland. that´s why we had insurance to make sure.

Was the washing machine belonged to you or the landlord? if the washing machine belonged to the landlord you shouldn't have to pay for it.

This is where you need to err on the safe side, tenant insurance is to protect your valuables, that's all.

As a tenant, you are legally responsible for the maintenance of your own unit when you stay in that unit. If you damage something, you can expect to pay for the bill after your landlord fixes the damage, accidental or not.

As a renter, you cannot simply expect to be protected by insurance solely when there are safety precautions to do for yourself, your family and others' safety as well.

For one, as a tenant you are liable –
yes, legally responsible –
for any harm you
cause to any part of your building and to others
who live or visit there. If your toaster oven starts
a fire that damages not only your apartment, but
also the entire complex, you may have to pay out
a lot of money.

source

Last edited:
This is where you need to err on the safe side, tenant insurance is to protect your valuables, that's all.

As a tenant, you are legally responsible for the maintenance of your own unit when you stay in that unit. If you damage something, you can expect to pay for the bill after your landlord fixes the damage, accidental or not.

As a renter, you cannot simply expect to be protected by insurance solely when there are safety precautions to do for yourself, your family and others' safety as well.

source

Yea, I have had money taken out from my security deposit for any damage left on the premises. One time my old roommate and I threw a party at our old townhouse that we rented and someone damaged the mirror in one of the bathroom. That was taken out of our security deposit when we moved out.

Liebling, as for the washing machine blowing up and u having to pay for it...that doesnt make sense cuz you didnt cause it to do that, did you? Cheri is right on that one..u shouldnt have had to pay for it unless the laws are different in Germany. :dunno:

Karissa...I hope they fix the problem...water problems are probably one of the worst and messiest kind of damage to a building.

YIKES! I hope everything will go well after it get fixed!!! And upstairs should keep eye on water in sink, tub, etc etc

I always make sure my toilet did flushed...some it didn't I had to use the plunger and plunged it till water drained. I don't want any damages in this house. I also make sure sink water isn't running either. Same for the kitchen.

One time our huge fish tank leaked...it leaked to 1st floor (we have 2 floors) but almost none were damaged...that time Thank god it was tiles before we put carpet in. Easy to clean up but pain in ass upstairs..it happened on Christmas eve!!! Found out one of filter leaked, I think. (been few years) So I had to use shampooer and take water out of the carpet..it work like a charm. Never forget that moment! Thank god for Shampooer..it saved our lives! I don't want to hire someone and do the work and loose $$.

That was real bad! it did happen to me years ago. Curious, will the landlord do the shampooing your carpet that i notice you have it? i hope they would do it for you to clean your carpet. =(

Eww!! Sorry about that! :( Hope get fixing it ASAP!!

Several years ago, I rented a house and the small window A/C leaked water...I notified the landlord many, many times! He never came to fix it....After about a month, the carpet was soaking wet, and turning orange-colored....and there was actually small "mushrooms" growing! It was toxic!.....Then the sewer outside backed up, and the bathroom was "flooded" with sewage, even coming from the bath tub!.....When I called the landlord AGAIN...and told him that we had to go to a motel! We could not live there like that!
To make the story short....I moved out and took the landlord to court, fighting for my deposit back. He was ordered to pay me $1,200.00 dollars.....but did he??...NO!...And under Florida law, he doesn't have to!....The only thing I could actually do was to put a lien on any of his properties or vehicles. ! That's Florida law for you!....I've never received a cent from this man.....

It was a very nice house, with stained glass and a breakfast nook, etc. I'll never forget it!

Back