Kids' test answers on race brings mother to tears

Wirelessly posted

I don't see why Americans fear cultural mosiac so much.

All for the melting pot, I suppose.

Wirelessly posted

Steinhauer said:
Wirelessly posted

Take a look at your local colleges' syllabus. Saying you want to ban Ethnic Studies would terminate programs like:

Deaf Studies, American Indian Studies, African-American Studies and quite a handful of History courses focusing on foreign nations.

Take a look at Arizona's new law ... it bans all inclusive ethnic studies and those courses do not promote tolerance of diversity.

Are you also on the "no read" list?

And how is it any different from how people send students to deaf programs? Programs for the aboriginals?

Last time I checked, no one overthrew the government yet.

Wirelessly posted

And how is it any different from how people send students to deaf programs? Programs for the aboriginals?

Last time I checked, no one overthrew the government yet.

Is this thread about a girl asking who the smart person is based on "race" or "disability"?

Is this thread about a girl asking who the smart person is based on "race" or "disability"?

Isn't it the Deaf themselves that consider themselves as an ethnic group, not as a disability? Should they not be treated as such?

And nice for you to ignore the second sentence.

And the girl is too young to participate in any Ethnic Studies or any courses revolving around any cultures. So why are you complaining about the existence of Ethnic Studies programs in THIS thread?

Take a look at Arizona's new law ... it bans all inclusive ethnic studies and those courses do not promote tolerance of diversity.

Are you also on the "no read" list?

in other word - you don't know for sure what the course is like and how is it's being taught. You do realize that such broad language in Arizona's new law would ban MLK stuff?

Wirelessly posted

Second of all, the study in the article focuses on how a strong bias is developed in absence of race awareness.

They did compare the results with minority families who incorporated race awareness-- and found that the bias not "as strong" as the first group.

These studies have been going on since the '50's actually. And the findings are all consistent with this article. Why it is we haven't learned and changed some things we are doing as a result is beyond me.

And you are absolutely correct. This has virtually nothing to do with ethnic studies.

A friend of mine's 5 year old daughter personified rural Iowa's lack of diversity once when she saw a black man in line at the convenience store. "Look mommy, a chocolate man!!", she yelled for everyone to hear.

A friend of mine's 5 year old daughter personified rural Iowa's lack of diversity once when she saw a black man in line at the convenience store. "Look mommy, a chocolate man!!", she yelled for everyone to hear.

Ouch.

I feel bad now for laughing at that.

Ahhh...the innocence of childhood. There is actually a book on the sociological studies of this kind titled I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla.

Ahhh...the innocence of childhood. There is actually a book on the sociological studies of this kind titled I'm Chocolate, You're Vanilla.

I remember making that very same comment as a kid (except it was "You're chocolate, I'm vanilla"). It wasn't meant in a derogatory way. Just a neutral observation of differences, much like how kids ask me now "what's that stick for?" I don't think it should be taken offensively cause it's usually not meant that way. It's children's parents and other role models that inject the negative and positive biases into what start out as nothing more than observation.

I remember making that very same comment as a kid (except it was "You're chocolate, I'm vanilla"). It wasn't meant in a derogatory way. Just a neutral observation of differences, much like how kids ask me now "what's that stick for?" I don't think it should be taken offensively cause it's usually not meant that way. It's children's parents and other role models that inject the negative and positive biases into what start out as nothing more than observation.

Exactly. My son corrected me one time when I referred to an African American girl in his class as "black". "She not black, Mom, she brown." That held no malice, either, but was a very reasonable observation from a child that had not yet been brainwashed with all the racist rhetoric.

Exactly. My son corrected me one time when I referred to an African American girl in his class as "black". "She not black, Mom, she brown." That held no malice, either, but was a very reasonable observation from a child that had not yet been brainwashed with all the racist rhetoric.

I remember having that same thought as a kid. :giggle:

Plus, it is the perfect opportunity to discuss race. When childern say things like that parents should take the chance to explain things rather than be embarrassed.

Isn't it the Deaf themselves that consider themselves as an ethnic group, not as a disability? Should they not be treated as such?

And nice for you to ignore the second sentence.

And the girl is too young to participate in any Ethnic Studies or any courses revolving around any cultures. So why are you complaining about the existence of Ethnic Studies programs in THIS thread?

How can being deaf being an ethnic group! I do not think of me being HOH being part of an ethnic group! There is no blood bond in being deaf!

How can being deaf being an ethnic group! I do not think of me being HOH being part of an ethnic group! There is no blood bond in being deaf!

dictionary.com said:
Cultural Dictionary
ethnicity [(eth-nis-uh-tee)]

Identity with or membership in a particular racial, national, or cultural group and observance of that group's customs, beliefs, and language.

genetic deafness - Google Search

For example - it was said that Hitler developed extreme antisemitism when his mother died under Jewish doctor's care. At that time - Hitler was a young brilliant art student at 18 years old on the path to be "the greatest artist." And now with no parents... Hitler changed.

I don't know where you read that Hitler was a brilliant art student. He wasn't brilliant at art. His father died when he was 13 and his mother when he was 19.

Adolf Hitler Biography

Back