Is being mean and depressed related to being fat?

VamPyroX said:
When you're depressed, you should be thinking about doing things that makes you happier. I hate it when people stand around saying "I'm depressed" and say they have nothing to do.

Life needs creative that is something about the person. When a person don't find anything to do, then that person have no better name for it to be more creative for others to recognize that person. For example: Last April, I started teachin' some students in ASL class and I made my name to be recognized....my name was written all over the flyers and they were posted at Post Office, Grocery Stores, and a few so I could make new friends with them. But, before that no one knew that I was the ONLY ONE deaf person in this town. No body knows sign language, because they don't realize that they COULD meet someone like me one day in their lives. That's something a person could do to open its door for one self and let that person to strive on something for the name's sake! And, NOW some of my students want me back to teach them again this fall. It's ME they recognized ! One of them asked me in ASL class last April "Where have you been?" She didn't realize that I was in this town for a WHOLE year without tellin' or meetin' her that I am deaf in THIS TOWN. LOL I am too damn humble... see, it's different than internet, because internet is just a TV thing anybody can stare at the whole time and it don't give a damn...nothin' to help anything to move on in life, but borin'. Depression is not worth livin' for.

Deaf258 said:
So, do you think being depressed and mean related to gaining weight?

I'd have to say that's a gross generalization and there are reasons why people gain weight. People do have thyroid issues and medicine issues that leads to weight gain. You don't necessarily see them being depressed or mean.

Deaf258 said:
In Utah, by law, if anyone hear a suicide threat, that person is responsible to call 911. If suicide threats are ignored, the person will be fined and jailed for failure of reporting.

Interesting fact. I didn't know Utah had a particular law on if one didn't report a suicide threat from someone to the police and being fined and jailed. :shock:

Do you know the reason behind that? I'm just curious.

As for depression -- I reckon weight gain is one of the many factors leading to depression and eating more. But it doesn't always apply to everyone who has depression, though.

Deaf258 said:
In Utah, by law, if anyone hear a suicide threat, that person is responsible to call 911. If suicide threats are ignored, the person will be fined and jailed for failure of reporting.

Interesting. One question: How do the police know who already heard threats and not reporting and vice versa?

Interesting, did a little research on suicide laws in Utah:

Utah ranks sixth (SL Tribune) or 9th (CBS) in the nation for suicide deaths.
Utah leads the nation in prescriptions for anti-depressants.

However, Utah is one of the three states which has no law on assisted suicides.
Still, euthanasia is prohibited in Utah under the general homicide laws.

As for a specific law on placing the responsiblity on people around suicide-planners, I can't see any law on that, even in Utah legislature webpage. Could you please place us the link to that source? Thanks!

I think this only covers a small portion of the bigger problem that comes with being depressed. I know a lot of "thin" people who are aplenty depressed. You don't have to be overweight to be depressed.

Last edited:
Liza said:
I think this only covers a small portion of the bigger problem that comes with being depressed. I know a lot of "thin" people who are aplenty depressed. You don't have to be overweight to be depressed.
you are exactly right, Liza..my ex mother in law is a very thin lady and she has major depression which meds dont even help, she has been hospitalized a few times due to her severe depression! The doctor said its caused by a lot of things like imbalance, hereditary/genetics, not always lifestyles but could be a factor like poverty. Its just part of her makeup that she was born with.

Defee said:
you are exactly right, Liza..my ex mother in law is a very thin lady and she has major depression which meds dont even help, she has been hospitalized a few times due to her severe depression! The doctor said its caused by a lot of things like imbalance, hereditary/genetics, not always lifestyles but could be a factor like poverty. Its just part of her makeup that she was born with.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience with your ex mother in law, Defee. Girly, that's exactly what I went through. It was a lot of issues in my situation that caused severe depression. Obesity has nothing to do with my severe depression. Each person has their reasons.

Socrates said:
I'd have to say that's a gross generalization and there are reasons why people gain weight. People do have thyroid issues and medicine issues that leads to weight gain. You don't necessarily see them being depressed or mean.

My, my.. Isn't this too much of a touchy subject for you to handle?? I am not generalizing, I am talking about the people I know or have seen with my own eyes. My mom was overweight and she was pretty bitchy, until she lost a lot of weight last year and became nicer, fun to be around with and more positive. Also, she has thyroid problems.

Socrates said:
Thank you so much for sharing your experience with your ex mother in law, Defee. Girly, that's exactly what I went through. It was a lot of issues in my situation that caused severe depression. Obesity has nothing to do with my severe depression. Each person has their reasons.
Youre welcome, Socrates! It was a horrendous experience with her at first cuz i have never been around any depressed people but i learned to be more compassionate and understanding of depression..hers was the worst kind i have ever seen..she has expressed suicide a few times but she said she will not do it cuz she is a Christian woman and does not believe in it and she knows its against the Bible. I heard from my exhusband and he said she was recently hospitalized again for getting confused with her meds and ended getting overdosed! but she is doing ok now..now my exhbd is afraid to go anywhere cuz he is afraid something will happen while he is out of town..Please pray for her! Thanks in advance! I feel for you, Socrates and i hope you are getting help for it!

Most people would take being called "fat" as an insult.

Anyhow, to answer to your question... that depends on the person's personality.

Katzie said:

Most people would take being called "fat" as an insult.

Anyhow, to answer to your question... that depends on the person's personality.

I already tried to change the title yesterday when I first made the thread. It is supposed to say "Is being mean and depressed related to gaining weight?" Obviously, the changes didn't affect the listing in the GD's forum. :(

I think the fatter the person is the more grumpy he or she is. I guess that is because they use up most of their energy carrying around all that fat.

mmm.. in my situation when I don't get the attention by the guy I USED to love I wud eat more and be bitchy and finally I let him go sheesh :roll: cuz really.. I was under stress to be happy but I wasn't happy for those years cuz really I realized.. there was lack of communication or sex probably was it :squint: at least.. I'm feelin better now but I wish i done it long time ago :( but parents's nagging replays in my mind like a broken record :P that's why I was scared.. but ah I realized I'm gettin older I should do something about it but ah.. the best thing I cud do is not THINK about it :roll:

Deaf258 said:
I already tried to change the title yesterday when I first made the thread. It is supposed to say "Is being mean and depressed related to gaining weight?" Obviously, the changes didn't affect the listing in the GD's forum. :(

Have you tried focusing on the inside of the person instead of the outside?

GeorgiaDeaf said:
I am with you, Socrates.. ;)

Thanks, darling! The quote "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is always true and I never believed it until my significant other told me it was true. I first heard it from a man when I was 18 but never took it seriously until now.

tekkmortal said:
I think the fatter the person is the more grumpy he or she is. I guess that is because they use up most of their energy carrying around all that fat.
A little cruel aint it???

Socrates said:
Have you tried focusing on the inside of the person instead of the outside?

Please read my first post again. I was talking about self-respect. What's on the outside has a lot to do with the inside of the person. I was focusing on the inside because self-image is part of focusing on the outside. It is both related.

Back