Gates: Obama is more analytical than Bush

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for clearing up about obama who have never been in military. that makes sense now.

Jiro: thanks for letting me know that mccain said that. eh. ha

point is - the public servant especially the higher seat should at least serve in armed service for some time (even 3-years). it's the fitting image of esteemed leadership. That's why Prince William and Prince Charles are currently serving in armed force - the fitting image of king.

Clinton and Lincoln didnt serve in the military, didnt they? They turned out to be great leaders...

Clinton and Lincoln didnt serve in the military, didnt they? They turned out to be great leaders...

FDR don't serve in military, that where WWII was targeted during his presidency.

Can anybody confirm about Clinton? I know his VP already served in military.

What Jiro is failing to recognize is that people can be excluded from military service for any number of reasons. To say that a President must serve in the military is to say that we can never elect a President who, for example, has "flat feet", one is has a mibility impairment, one who has certain visual impairments, or one who is deaf. That excludes a whole constellation of men who could easily prove to be great leaders. After all, think about it. We have, in the past, elected a great President who was disabled by polio. He couldn't have served in the military. He would have been classified as "4-F".

Sorry, Obama is our commander in chief. You MUST obey his orders. Additionally, McCain MUST obey him as well when it comes to military decisions.

draft dodger

–noun
a person who evades or attempts to evade compulsory military service.
Origin:
1935–40

draft dodger definition | Dictionary.com

So, would you classify those who avoided the draft through CO status, such as the Amish, "draft dodgers"? What about those that avoided the draft through educational deferment that lasted until the end of the war?

So, would you classify those who avoided the draft through CO status, such as the Amish, "draft dodgers"? What about those that avoided the draft through educational deferment that lasted until the end of the war?

I don't understand CO. The Amish are excluded for religion and I think they do serve in hospitals, just not battle.

I think the educational deferment when people stayed in college for years was what people thought of as draft dodging by rich white people.

I don't understand CO. The Amish are excluded for religion and I think they do serve in hospitals, just not battle.

I think the educational deferment when people stayed in college for years was what people thought of as draft dodging by rich white people.

CO= Conscientous Objector.

That logic might hold true if the only people in college were rich white people.:cool2:

CO= Conscientous Objector.

That logic might hold true if the only people in college were rich white people.:cool2:

In Vietnam and Clinton's time it was. Look for the make up of the military by race and income.

In Vietnam and Clinton's time it was. Look for the make up of the military by race and income.

The military, by and large, has always been composed of people coming from less than affluent backgrounds, most especially since the draft was outlawed.

State colleges are also made of up a student body coming from less than affluent backgrounds.

The military, by and large, has always been composed of people coming from less than affluent backgrounds, most especially since the draft was outlawed.

State colleges are also made of up a student body coming from less than affluent backgrounds.

:wave: <-- state college graduate

Mind you - many military leaders have always been composed of people coming from affluent backgrounds. Did ya forget... West Point?

I can't see that Clinton was a great leader. He wasn't horrible by any means, but I do believe it was many of his "in-actions" during his terms as well as those of previous presidents, including Bush Sr., that led to 9/11 -- even if 9/11 occured during Bush Jr's term.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back