Could you guys help me design a mobile app to help the deaf to speak on mobile phones

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

G_Imperatore said:
Guys, Just a note I have read that a hearing person will hang up in seconds when hearing an artificial voice. That is true, but it was already covered in the design, the app plays an introductory, prerecorded message that explains the state of things, the user will now when this is finished playing......

Cheers pals

They tend to hang up just as quickly at pre-recorded messages ... This is one of the great advatages of having a real person as the relay operator.

They tend to hang up just as quickly at pre-recorded messages ... This is one of the great advatages of having a real person as the relay operator.

Ditto, people assume the pre-recorded voice is a telemarketer or some kind of phone spam.

Maybe a pre-recorded message would help if it sounded as much like a real person as possible including the name of the deaf person and the callee. An example would be:

"Hello this is Bob wanting to talk with June, please answer if you are June"

Maybe that would help reduce the instant hangups compared to a generic message?

Ditto, people assume the pre-recorded voice is a telemarketer or some kind of phone spam.

Maybe a pre-recorded message would help if it sounded as much like a real person as possible including the name of the deaf person and the callee. An example would be:

That is the idea. But since the app is more oriented at informal situation it would be more like "hello this is John Doe. I am deaf and using special app, please be patient"

G_Imperatore said:

That is the idea. But since the app is more oriented at informal situation it would be more like "hello this is John Doe. I am deaf and using special app, please be patient"

Hoenstly - I think 95% of people would still hang up right away.

Automated message for almost everyone means one of two things:
A) telemarketer
B) scam

These tend to be carried out more on landlines rather that mobiles (in the UK).
any alternatives?

G_Imperatore said:
These tend to be carried out more on landlines rather that mobiles (in the UK).
any alternatives?

Mobile are getting hit with them more all the time - many people don't have a landline anymore. Also I'm guessing that based on your examples (ordering food etc) that they'd be calling at least as many landlines as mobiles ...

Honestly - no. It's one of the reasons even if there was an app, I'd likely stick with Relay with a real person. RO's are able to respond to the hearing person in a way an app can't.

Back