Could you guys help me design a mobile app to help the deaf to speak on mobile phones

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

I'd suggest you get in contact with the people at Dragon Naturally Speaking - they'd likely be of significant value to you in terms of voice recognition software and it's limitations etc.

My research does not focus on speech recognition but also on text entry and other design aspects which I need to discuss with deaf participants

My research does not focus on speech recognition but also on text entry and other design aspects which I need to discuss with deaf participants

You still didn't answer how would we know what the hearing person is saying?

It would either have to convert their voice to text, or they would need to text back, therefore making the whole thing a huge step down from just texting.

would you be interested in taking part in a short on line discussion.

You can just PM here.

As for entering data I like using a flip out QWERTY keyboard because of the physical response not to mention they have gaps between to prevent mistakes. I hate the virtual keyboards because they're too crammed together and there's no "feedback" if you pressed the key or not.

For entering data, I love my virtual keyboard with Swype technology.

It would either have to convert their voice to text, or they would need to text back, therefore making the whole thing a huge step down from just texting.

+1 Even though I "converse" with hearing folks I've found they'd rather just text me than use a relay system because for one thing they don't have to keep calling until I answer. With text messages you can just send and "forget it"

What is the difference between what you are proposing and what is already available?

Each deaf person pronounces the same word differently, and there is already speech recognition software that listens to how we pronounce words and adapts accordingly.

What you propose is interesting, though, but, keep in mind that most deaf people communicate mostly by using their body parts more than their voices. Many deaf folks make the same sound for every word, so I would think that you are better off writing software that would convert body language to written text.

If you want to pm me you're welcome to.

Basically my idea was to help you guys in situations like takeaway orders, bank, or emergency breakdowns that do not support SMS.

I've used the Mobile IM relay system to call AAA when my car broke down. it's basically like doing an IM session on AOL but on the phone. It worked great no complaints. :cool2:

@Anij, the idea is to enable deaf to talk in every possible scenario, where IM cannot help them. There is also some cases in which you require privacy which you don't have with a relay operator

The problem is THIS. There is no way to monitor accuracy of the conversation translation without having someone "RIGHT THERE" to make corrections. Go look at a Youtube CC'ed video. COMPLETELY INACCURATE. What do you offer that Youtube can't offer in CC accuracy?

Here's the other thing. Let's say that I need to make a phone call - how is this applicable to a phone call where I have to pick up the phone, dial a number, and somehow get the translator to hear what the person on the phone is saying? The translator has to get a clear opening to the person's voice on the phone to translate accurately. What if the call is long-distance - why should I bother going through the traditional, less-cost-effective phone when I can do the same call through IM - for free?

Since there has been 50,000 layoffs in the tech industry recently, you might be better off going into stem cell therapy and related fields. That would help us out a LOT better.

Since there has been 50,000 layoffs in the tech industry recently, you might be better off going into stem cell therapy and related fields. That would help us out a LOT better.

Actually I was going to suggest he focus on creating more awareness of relay services in the countries he's talking about. Canada, the USA and many other countries have fully functioning relay services that make it very straightforward for deaf and hearing to communicate with each other ACCURATELY.

70,80 even 90% accuracy isn't good enough when it comes to conversations, especiall in an emergency, or when dealing with health or financial issues.

The technology already exists - I'd focus on finding ways to implement it in areas currently lacking.

Wow lot's of feedback thanks. If this is unclear, the app would translate what the person is saying into text. You can reply using your favourite text entry method. I do not see the connection with youtube CC. My app is for making phone calls.

According to my research in some areas outwith the us there is still much to do with respect to mobile phones.

As for stem cell research i see your point I am brain damaged myself, I have palsy. But unfortunately we don't do these in Comp. Science

Just to be clear the app does not translate the voice of the deaf person. The deaf person types with his preferred keyboard, the only one who talks here is the hearing person.

Wow lot's of feedback thanks. If this is unclear, the app would translate what the person is saying into text. You can reply using your favourite text entry method. I do not see the connection with youtube CC. My app is for making phone calls.

Youtube CC uses 'transcribing' - converting speech to text. It'd be the same concept as your app in the sense that it's converting speech to text. Hence people are mentioning it here. However it is very inaccurate. For example, I tried watching a 'behind the scenes' video for an MMORPG I play, and the CC mentioned Afghanistan... which I am positive they did not mention in the video at all, as it wasn't related. You know Youtube is a major company, with money and resources, yet they still have to release a version of the transcribing option that is actually so accurate we would never have to ask anyone to manually add CC to the videos again. A lot of similar speech to text software on cellphones are not that good yet either. At this point it is easier for us to just use IM or Relay services ourselves because speech to text is still too cumbersome with all the inaccuracies. That kind of thing still has a long way to go, so if people seem quite skeptical with you, hopefully I've explained part of it.

Also, just to clarify, are you looking to make an app that does BOTH speech to text and text to speech at once? I believe a lot of apps out there do speech to text, or text to speech, but not actually both.

That is the point of the research guys, to improve the crap that is out there. Yes the app does both TTS and STT. I have a prototype running. You see by using google cloud services it is free, as opposed to dragon where you pay, and where you have no internet connection it uses a library installed on the phone albeit with less accuracy.

FYI Dragon voice to text for voicemail is free

Again, I'd suggest you contact the Dragon Naturally speaking people because what you are trying to do - they've been ding for decades now so they will be able to give you an lot of much needed data.

Also having an "onboard" voice library will never work - the differences in the way people speak, especially accents makes this impossible at the present time (and for the forseable future).

There are better ways to help hoh and deaf than voice recognition software apps.

If you'd like to pm me your questions though, I'd be happy to help.

That's what I thought you were trying to do here, improve what we have, but I wasn't 100% sure. Thanks for clarifying. I would try to help here, but I have zero knowledge on developing an app and I am not good at speaking either. Have you considered maybe applying to work with Google, Youtube, any other company out there though? I'm sure there is at least one place where they are looking for people like you who want to help improve what we have, and work in a team.

Irish, the app development is my problem, what I would like from you guys is like tell me what you need. What functionality you need even if you think it can't be done. You don't have to speak to use the app. Only the hearing person who calls you has to speak

Back