Could you guys help me design a mobile app to help the deaf to speak on mobile phones

G_Imperatore

Reaction score
Hello guys,

My name is Gennaro, as part of my MSc degree in Computer Science I am developing an application for android to help the deaf.

It works by using Automatic Speech Recognition to translate the words of the person who is talking to the non hearing person. The deaf can then reply via keyboard and the hearing will hear the words via Text To Speech.

Would you help me design the app, via a short chatting session with about six participants.

Your help would be awesome.

Thanks.

Why? We can text or email with no problem for either side.

If they can't go halfway to meet me, I don't want to talk to them.

There's also video chat for anyone who can use it, although I don't expect everyone to do that.

What you are talking about would be extremely cumbersome and inaccurate, and I would need to be reading the hearing person's end of the conversation since I can't talk on a telephone.

Yes that is the idea, the app looks like an IM application, and the idea is that deaf people can as close to real time as possible. The idea is also to help you in scenarios where SMS cannot do the job. like telephone banking, takeaway services, or any companies that do not have SMS support.

Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

What you're proposing is what IM and IP relay already do.

The only difference is that a real person converts the voice to text & vise versa - which is far more accurate and trustworthy.

@Anij, the idea is to enable deaf to talk in every possible scenario, where IM cannot help them. There is also some cases in which you require privacy which you don't have with a relay operator

@Bottesini the idea is to help the deaf in situations where SMS and emails don't let them communicate. The purpose of the chat is to raise all of these issues so they can be included in the research

G_Imperatore said:
@Anij, the idea is to enable deaf to talk in every possible scenario, where IM cannot help them. There is also some cases in which you require privacy which you don't have with a relay operator

Relay calls are "private" - in the same way sharing medical info with your dr is "private". Relay operators and interpreters are bound by confidentially agreements protecting their client.

Between email, text, IM, relay, VRS... Honestly it's very easy to communicate with anyone.

In person pen&paper, or typing on a mobile is quick and easy.

There's no way I'd give up accuracy for an automated translation for anything important.

Most mobile carriers already have automatic voice-to-text for voicemails such as SpinVoX. The accuracy depends so heavily on accent, annunciation, speed of speech, background noise etc that while helpful, it's certainly not something that could take relay's place.

Why don't you give us a few examples where you think this would be needed, and we can make suggestions from there.

@Anij,

Basically my idea was to help you guys in situations like takeaway orders, bank, or emergency breakdowns that do not support SMS.

You have to understand that my examples are based on research not experience, so if that is why I need feedback from target users

G_Imperatore said:
@Anij,

Basically my idea was to help you guys in situations like takeaway orders, bank, or emergency breakdowns that do not support SMS.

You have to understand that my examples are based on research not experience, so if that is why I need feedback from target users

Relay works for all the situations you mentioned ... I use it all the time for that.

You can access relay from your mobile/cell and place the order. Also many places allow you to email in orders as well (which again can be done via a mobile/cell).

okay thanks for feedback. I am looking at scenarios where relay services are not so reeadily available and there is no support for email ordering. Like where I stay in Italy

okay thanks for feedback. I am looking at scenarios where relay services are not so reeadily available and there is no support for email ordering. Like where I stay in Italy

Is ERS (Europe Relay Service) not available Italy?

Relay works for all the situations you mentioned ... I use it all the time for that.

You can access relay from your mobile/cell and place the order. Also many places allow you to email in orders as well (which again can be done via a mobile/cell).

you might be right vrs works for that- BUT only if you have signal. what if you just happened to be in the worst place at worst time? it would be nice to have extra stuff in the arsenal.

By the way - my android ALREADY has a voice to text but its far from perfect.

If you want to see why computer voice recognition still needs some work go on youtube and watch any video and enable captions. It's also good for a laugh.

I would only do a computer relay system if it's 97% accurate.

The application would use both embedded speech recognition provided by the phone and speech recognition provided by google, there is also an algorithm for correction, but as I said the app needs to be designed first. What needs to be discussed is also your methods of entering text on the phone

would you be interested in taking part in a short on line discussion.

@ A Nihilist, with modern algorithms, there is very high accuracy we are talking about 70 80 percent. It's not perfect, but it is a research project

Back