Camping @Sam Dale Lake Johnsonville, IL (9/15-9/20/13)

ChicagoBlue2

Veteran Traveler
Premium Member
Reaction score
This trip was exactly 6 months ago today, and it's doubtful we're going this year, so to remember, I thought I'd share a few photos from last year:

Man, we had a blast, except for the downpour when I was there.

Awesome, why is it doubtful you'll go again?

Budget. However-- that lake has some HUGE catfish in it. I've seen the sizes of a few of these, and let me tell you-- they make a good meal with Louisiana breadcrumbs. Yummy!!

Just perfect timing because I am going camping this weekend. Leaving Thursday!!

Gorgeous pics!

Bummer, about the $ Maybe you can do a sort of "staycation" and do some local fishing? And yup catfish are pretty good, nothing like really fresh fish there's no comparison to frozen fish! :D

Bummer, about the $ Maybe you can do a sort of "staycation" and do some local fishing? And yup catfish are pretty good, nothing like really fresh fish there's no comparison to frozen fish! :D

If I can, I intend to actually take a vacation. When, I don't yet know. Hopefully this summer. And definitely fresh fish taste way better than frozen fish. No comparison whatsoever. In fact, catfish is one of my favorite things to eat.

Oh, yeah-- I forgot this one:

To date, the largest catfish I've ever seen. He became dinner later that night (this fish was caught before midnight one night, and for those of you who don't know-- nighttime fishing is the best time to catch fish this size.)

This picture is immediately after the fish was caught, and just minutes out of the water. You can see my Dad holding the fishing line from the catfish pole that he used to catch it. Both my Dad and stepmom, as well as myself, each have at least one catfish pole.

Last edited:
:) that looks like a really fun and peaceful time, a special memory, :ty: for sharing that!

That's a nice catfish ... those can live out of the water for a long time before they die ... always hated skinning them though lol

That's a nice catfish ... those can live out of the water for a long time before they die ... always hated skinning them though lol

As a kid, I hated watching my dad skin the fish. Never ate fish as I don't like fish but I am trying to add it to my diet. Tasted catfish in New Orleans...ohhhh it was delicious but I had to eat it slowly as I am not used to the texture of fish.

I've seen ones my stepmom and Dad caught before nearly this size, but just a smidge smaller.

As a kid, I hated watching my dad skin the fish. Never ate fish as I don't like fish but I am trying to add it to my diet. Tasted catfish in New Orleans...ohhhh it was delicious but I had to eat it slowly as I am not used to the texture of fish.

That's where the Louisiana breadcrumbs came from that we use to fry the catfish. Quite good, albeit a little hot.

Oh, yeah-- I forgot this one:

To date, the largest catfish I've ever seen. He became dinner later that night (this fish was caught before midnight one night, and for those of you who don't know-- nighttime fishing is the best time to catch fish this size.)

This picture is immediately after the fish was caught, and just minutes out of the water. You can see my Dad holding the fishing line from the catfish pole that he used to catch it. Both my Dad and stepmom, as well as myself, each have at least one catfish pole.

Wow! That's a big catfish!

This trip was exactly 6 months ago today, and it's doubtful we're going this year, so to remember, I thought I'd share a few photos from last year:

Man, we had a blast, except for the downpour when I was there.

I been up a lake in Maine with my daughter and her family and it was very
peaceful being next the water. I forget the name of the lake. I am bad with names. Do you swim there too? We had a summer camp on the Pow Wow river in New Hampshire and boy I wish we still dad it, but dad sold it when we stop wanting to go there. Boy kids can be dumb sometime we did not know lucky we where to have our own private road . There was only our camp on the road .

I been up a lake in Maine with my daughter and her family and it was very
peaceful being next the water. I forget the name of the lake. I am bad with names. Do you swim there too? We had a summer camp on the Pow Wow river in New Hampshire and boy I wish we still dad it, but dad sold it when we stop wanting to go there. Boy kids can be dumb sometime we did not know lucky we where to have our own private road . There was only our camp on the road .

Back when I was a kid, yeah. Now it's banned there because of too many geese.

Back when I was a kid, yeah. Now it's banned there because of too many geese.

I was wondering if was safe to swim in. If people are feeding the geese bread they'll be pooping even more. Boy geese poop a lot too , we have some Canadian geese at the duck pond and you have to watch where you step .

I was wondering if was safe to swim in. If people are feeding the geese bread they'll be pooping even more. Boy geese poop a lot too , we have some Canadian geese at the duck pond and you have to watch where you step .

Sam Dale Lake has a beach there, but it's no longer in use. They do, however, have campgrounds. Hmm. That reminds me-- I think I have a few more pictures to post.

Back