Brain differences in political orientation

Status
Not open for further replies.
My leaning has changed over the years. I was far left for my first 30 years, now much closer to center. I think the leaning has as much to do with the candidates of the party you align with, along with where things are in the USA. I prefer a mix of platforms.

Does this mean I am brain dead?
Probably. Blame the zombies.

j/k :lol:

Supporting the death penalty is not an emotional response, so that's not a very good example of the differences.

How is supporting the death penalty a logical response? :shock:

Wirelessly posted (droid)

I had a professor who said an individual's need for retribution is different than society's need for justice. I thought that was an interesting distinction.
I think that people who consider more variables in the equation tend to be more open to different ideas.

I had a professor who said an individual's need for retribution is different than society's need for justice. I thought that was an interesting distinction.
I think that people who consider more variables in the equation tend to be more open to different ideas.

Yep. Then logically pick the best one. Killing isn't one of them.

There are many practical reasons for opposing the death penalty without even addressing the ethical issues.

There are many practical reasons for opposing the death penalty without even addressing the ethical issues.

I know. That is where logic comes into play.

Probably. Blame the zombies.

j/k :lol:

Maybe it is the media bias?

Funny thing, I thought the media bias was to the left, but I have leaned away from the left as I age. Not leaning to the right, but leaning more in the middle as the years go by. Personally, I really don't care which way someone leans, as long at they are not blindly following a party, mass media outlet, etc.

How is supporting the death penalty a logical response? :shock:

The logic would possibly be:
  • Saves money on keeping a lifer alive
  • It acts as a deterrent to some
  • Provides a final resolution to the victim's loved ones

I have mixed feelings on death penalty. In the obviously guilty, I would be in favor of it for extreme crimes.

The logic would possibly be:

• [*]Saves money on keeping a lifer alive
  • It acts as a deterrent to some
  • Provides a final resolution to the victim's loved ones

I have mixed feelings on death penalty. In the obviously guilty, I would be in favor of it for extreme crimes.

It is actually cheaper to have a lifer than to execute a person.

It is actually cheaper to have a lifer than to execute a person.
Only because there are so many sharks churning the water in search of a payday (lawyers)
At least one other reason you gave is an emotional response.
There are a lot of reasons for death penalty, but I am not gonna research it. In case you wonder, I rarely research anything. I post opinions of myself, gleaned from what I have seen and read over my lifetime.

How has keeping Charles Manson alive worked out for you? Just curious...

True. The legal costs are expensive.

If someone is exonerated by DNA evidence, the defendant is not dead. This is happening because of old cases that did not have DNA testing available. It sucks to say sorry you got locked up for decades when you were innocent, but at least you're not dead.

True. The legal costs are expensive.

If someone is exonerated by DNA evidence, the defendant is not dead. This is happening because of old cases that did not have DNA testing available. It sucks to say sorry you got locked up for decades when you were innocent, but at least you're not dead.

I agree 100%. My issue is with the obviously guilty, the ones that do not deny; those are the ones that should be eligible for execution. Why should I pay for John Gacy to become a woman?

Only because there are so many sharks churning the water in search of a payday (lawyers)

There are a lot of reasons for death penalty, but I am not gonna research it. In case you wonder, I rarely research anything. I post opinions of myself, gleaned from what I have seen and read over my lifetime.

How has keeping Charles Manson alive worked out for you? Just curious...

He hasn't bothered me in the least. :cool2:

It's not over with the verdict. Even if the defendant is as guilty as sin, he has an appeal. I studied the system and that's what I base my opinion on. There must be a system with due process that applies to all defendants. The state can't go around killing people without due process. At least, I don't want to live in a government like that.

I agree 100%. My issue is with the obviously guilty, the ones that do not deny; those are the ones that should be eligible for execution. Why should I pay for John Gacy to become a woman?

There there. :giggle:

Believe it or not, I was being honest. Buh bye. :lol:

Me too.

What purpose does keeping him alive do? He still has his followers, he still gets his name out there when he comes up for parole. You telling me that putting this guy in the gas chamber would have cost more that 40 years of prison food, medical treatment, other legal crap, and parole hearings? You ain't being very logical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back