Bellevue, Washington in circa 2004 vs 2008.

sequoias

Premium Member
Reaction score
Here's comparsion of Bellevue, WA which is 5th largest city in Washington state and it's booming with around at least 17 new skyscrapers under construction. I just took the most recent picture today compared to around 2004. I couldn't find more old pictures with similar view, so it's the only one I have.

around 2004
Downtown17.jpg

June 25, 2008
P1010098.jpg

Ohh wow look at that! Can't wait for my city to become like that! :D

Eeek! :Ohno: I am glad I don't live in that state! :laugh2:

What IFs there's an earthquake and all that skyscrapers go crumble ? :ugh: This will remind me of 9/11 in New York City. I think they are crazy to build tall skyscrapers - without thinking of what harmful it might do to people when there's an earthquake.

Sequoias, you are more braver than me for living in that state.

Eeek! :Ohno: I am glad I don't live in that state! :laugh2:

What IFs there's an earthquake and all that skyscrapers go crumble ? :ugh: This will remind me of 9/11 in New York City. I think they are crazy to build tall skyscrapers - without thinking of what harmful it might do to people when there's an earthquake.

Sequoias, you are more braver than me for living in that state.

Well, newer skyscrapers within the earthquake zones have better chance of withstanding them because they have dampers in the foundation to help them sway when the quake happens. When the quake hit Seattle in 2001, none of the skyscrapers in central business district and the nearby downtown neighborhoods area had damage, otherwise there was a lot of damage to the buildings in Pioneer Square (old downtown area).

Alaska get worse earthquakes than Washington state, so you're braver than me.

Thank for share. I can notice how much different since my first trip and lately one.

Yep, around 3 new skyscrapers that were added that are up to the city's height limit of 450 feet tall, taller than the 1980's boom....it might be possible that city of Bellevue might raise the height limits again due to demand and supply of office space, condos and apartments. Many corporate headquarters move into downtown Bellevue and Seattle, like for example Microsoft moving some of their offices to downtown Bellevue in Eddie Bauer tower which is barely regnozible in the picture.

We still have many new skyscrapers being proposed/approved to be under construction soon and in near future. We have a fairly strong local economy, of course the housing market sucks which usually are the suburban houses.

WOW! I don't mind live up there again but cost of living...ekk!

And, I managed to live here with high cost of living....*shrugs*

Thank for share. I can notice how much different since my first trip and lately one.

Yea, things change a lot in a short time.

It's no crazier like Seattle!

Seattle is bigger and it looks like not many under construction, but of course the ratio is higher in Bellevue.

Bellevue pop: 118,000 17 skyscrapers under construction
Seattle pop: 586,000 23 skyscrapers under construction

Well, newer skyscrapers within the earthquake zones have better chance of withstanding them because they have dampers in the foundation to help them sway when the quake happens. When the quake hit Seattle in 2001, none of the skyscrapers in central business district and the nearby downtown neighborhoods area had damage, otherwise there was a lot of damage to the buildings in Pioneer Square (old downtown area).

Alaska get worse earthquakes than Washington state, so you're braver than me.

In Anchorage, AK - earthquake, yes. In Juneau, AK where I live currently... Juneau don't have skyscrapers like these ones you have in that photos.

I think it is more safer NOT to have skyscrapers around where there's lots of people walking around nearby. People are more important than skyscrapers - IMO. :)

But, if people like to live in that city/cities where they have skyscrapers, then that's fine. As for me, I don't like to live in a BIG city where they have skyscrapers. No offense, my friend. It's just me. :hug:

In Anchorage, AK - earthquake, yes. In Juneau, AK where I live currently... Juneau don't have skyscrapers like these ones you have in that photos.

I think it is more safer NOT to have skyscrapers around where there's lots of people walking around nearby. People are more important than skyscrapers - IMO. :)

But, if people like to live in that city/cities where they have skyscrapers, then that's fine. As for me, I don't like to live in a BIG city where they have skyscrapers. No offense, my friend. It's just me. :hug:

I do understand your views and opinions. :) I respect and you are entitled to your opinion. I love skyscrapers and density, so that's me. :hug:

And, I managed to live here with high cost of living....*shrugs*

Yea, things change a lot in a short time.

Seattle is bigger and it looks like not many under construction, but of course the ratio is higher in Bellevue.

Bellevue pop: 118,000 17 skyscrapers under construction
Seattle pop: 586,000 23 skyscrapers under construction

It looked like it was more than 23 skyscrapers......

It looked like it was more than 23 skyscrapers......

That is with more than 12 floors or higher, is classified as a skyscraper/highrise. You're talking about including lowrises and midrises.

Only 12 floors in order to be called a shkscraper.....hmmmm, that's a long way from scraping the sky! :lol:

Only 12 floors in order to be called a shkscraper.....hmmmm, that's a long way from scraping the sky! :lol:

Yea, I have no idea why they called skyscraper in the first place while it NEVER scraped the sky's ceiling...as there is no end in sight. :lol:

Since I have been to both, I'll belly up here and say Bellevue over the business gray of D.C. :lol:

Back