Aussie Fire & Deaths

Jiro

If You Know What I Mean
Premium Member
Reaction score
This thread is dedicated to investigating and understanding why there are so many deaths when we had nearly zero or a few deaths from Californian fire (even the worst one).

This thread is dedicated to investigating and understanding why there are so many deaths when we had nearly zero or a few deaths from Californian fire (even the worst one).

Yea, I have wondered that is really awful a lot of deaths from the wildfires in Australia. The most deaths I've seen was like 10s to 20s from wildfires, but over a hundred and nearing 200?

I'm just guessing, no background knowledge except for what I think about my state:

California is awareness-prepared and has resources to handle emergency situations on drop, ever since previous major brushfire incidents prior to 2008.

Aussie, I dunno but I feel probably they were not prepared to handle "a big fire"?

I'm just guessing, no background knowledge except for what I think about my state:

California is awareness-prepared and has resources to handle emergency situations on drop, ever since previous major brushfire incidents prior to 2008.

Aussie, I dunno but I feel probably they were not prepared to handle "a big fire"?

Don't forget Alaska, Oregon, Washington state, etc are prepared for big wildfires too.

You might be right that Australia might not be prepared for the big wildfires over there. I also think it might be the fires burning up toxic material that caused fumes in the air which killed a lot of people?

This is the Australian's WORST bushfires in national's history. In the same state where the bushfire has happened, it has happened in the past. In 1939, and in 1969 and 'Ash Wednesday' in Mid 1980's *(I think 1983, but not sure). In Ash wednesday 75 people was dead in that year, but in 2009 was the worst.. Some affected areas was done by arnosits.

ICalifornia is awareness-prepared and has resources to handle emergency situations on drop, ever since previous major brushfire incidents prior to 2008.

Don't forget Alaska, Oregon, Washington state, etc are prepared for big wildfires too.

I think both are better prepared for big wildfires--however I do believe naisho when he mentions that California has resources to handle emergency situations on drop.

Yet the one thing I can say about Washington State :)) ) We sure know what to do when a volcano erupts! :lol:

This is the Australian's WORST bushfires in national's history. In the same state where the bushfire has happened, it has happened in the past. In 1939, and in 1969 and 'Ash Wednesday' in Mid 1980's *(I think 1983, but not sure). In Ash wednesday 75 people was dead in that year, but in 2009 was the worst.. Some affected areas was done by arnosits.

And that is the worse kind there is!

Not to mention, I recall the Governator declaring a national emergency during the episode.

I dunno after that tho, did Bush ever respond to that emergency? Like have planes or choppers from neighboring states like you guys in WA, NV, etc come drop some talcum powder and that junk on our fires?

There was two reports of two arnoists suspects, have been arrested by police this morning. A lot of people said that the people who did this is a 'mass murder' and will be rotting in jail for the rest of their lives.

Australia Fire Toll Could Exceed 200
“We have people that left their homes, drove, got trapped, left their vehicles; pedestrians were picked up by other motorists trying to escape this tragedy and were killed in cars,” Mr. Moloney said in Melbourne. “We must pin all this together.”

I never heard of arsonist doing that kind of stuff, mostly I've heard of them burn houses or businesses.

09australia02-500.jpg

Destruction in Kinglake, where at least 24 died and more than 500 homes were burned down.

I'm assuming it was a huge geographical disadvantage that Aussies were faced with. It's like Highway of Death (in Iraq).

I dunno after that tho, did Bush ever respond to that emergency? Like have planes or choppers from neighboring states like you guys in WA, NV, etc come drop some talcum powder and that junk on our fires?

I don't know. I think that was around the time that St Helens was......smoking. :smoking:

Not to mention, I recall the Governator declaring a national emergency during the episode.

Bush, by law, cannot federally respond to it if Governor does not request for it. I don't know if the governor requested for federal assistance. I completely ignored the whole CA forest fire.

09australia02-500.jpg

I'm assuming it was a huge geographical disadvantage that Aussies were faced with. It's like Highway of Death (in Iraq).

CORRECTION: 35 people was killed in Kinglake.

How to help wildfire victims

Victorian community: How you can help

As the damage increases and the death toll rises, Australians nationwide are rallying together to support the vicitims of the worst bushfire in Australian history.

Here's how you can help the victims of the Victorian bushfires:

Make a donation
To the Red Cross State Government Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund:

* Calling Freecall 1800 811 700
* Making a secure online donation at Australian Red Cross
* Visit any Bunnings store
* Visit any NAB, Commonwealth, ANZ or Westpac bank
* Direct deposit to:
The Victorian Bushfire Relief Fund
BSB: 082-001
Account number: 860046797
* Send a cheque/money order to:
Victorian Bushfire Appeal Fund
GPO Box 2957
Melbourne VIC 8060

To the Salvation Army Bushfire Relief Appeal:

* Making a secure online donation at Home » salvos.org.au
* Visiting any Victorian Myer store

OTHER WAYS TO HELP

Donate blood
The Red Cross urgently needs blood donations to help burns victims in hospitals all over Victoria. To make an appointment or to find out more, visit donateblood.com.au or simply call 13 14 95.

Donate clothing, blankets and household items
To the Salvation Army or ask your local charity store about their involvement.

Help save the wildlife
Make a donation at the Wildlife Victoria website Wildlife Victoria
Call the Wildlife emergency number 13 000 94535 - ONLY IF YOU HAVE AN INJURED ANIMAL

Leave a message of support, encouragement or comfort
Simply log into our comments section below to share your message with the wider community.

FOR YOUR HELP

If you're wanting information about family and friends in the affected areas, call the Red Cross on 1800 727 077.

For information on the bushfires, call 1800 240 667.

Keep up-to-date with the latest information with Yahoo!7's Victorian Bushfires: Full Coverage

Donate clothing, blankets and household items
To the Salvation Army or ask your local charity store about their involvement.

Help save the wildlife
Make a donation at the Wildlife Victoria website Wildlife Victoria
Call the Wildlife emergency number 13 000 94535 - ONLY IF YOU HAVE AN INJURED ANIMAL

Leave a message of support, encouragement or comfort
Simply log into our comments section below to share your message with the wider community.

FOR YOUR HELP

If you're wanting information about family and friends in the affected areas, call the Red Cross on 1800 727 077.

For information on the bushfires, call 1800 240 667.

Keep up-to-date with the latest information with Yahoo!7's Victorian Bushfires: Full Coverage

Officials have come under criticism for failing to notify residents of the danger or evacuate towns facing high fire risk on Saturday. Australian fire authorities rarely order mass evacuations but advise people to establish a fire plan that involves either leaving early or staying to defend their homes with hoses, pumps and generators.

Many of those who survived the most devastating fires said there was no time for an orderly evacuation and witnesses said several people died while sheltering in homes that collapsed in a matter of minutes.

Mr. Brumby has called for a royal commission, the highest level of government inquiry, to review the state’s response to the fires. One question will be whether officials should have greater power to force residents to leave their homes in times of high fire danger.

The premier and fire officials defended the existing approach, saying no one could have predicted the ferocity of Saturday’s fires. However, Victoria’s main fire authority updated its safety warnings to clarify that “leaving early means going to safe places on all days when there is a fire risk.”

Looks like Aussie government f**ked up big time.

Back