Atkins Diet

I've been thinking about going back on the Atkins Diet when school starts. I'm not sure if I will go through with it. :dunno:

No bread?????? Eeep. No thanks.

Mom was on it for a bit, and sorry it just grosses me out that she's eating eggs and fatty foods in the morning. I'll stick with my one bowl of cereal, and not snacking too much.

And oh, running helps (or any other form of actual exercise.. it's about getting off our butts)

Sweet_KJ said:
No bread?????? Eeep. No thanks.

Mom was on it for a bit, and sorry it just grosses me out that she's eating eggs and fatty foods in the morning. I'll stick with my one bowl of cereal, and not snacking too much.

And oh, running helps (or any other form of actual exercise.. it's about getting off our butts)
You're right. Exercise helps. There are people who are too busy to exercise that this diet would be good for. I have a couple of friends who work so much that they get up every morning at 6 am before heading to work at 7 am. They finish work around 5 pm and get back around 6 pm before having to leave again for class. The only exercise they get is from walking around at work and between night classes and that isn't much exercise for them. They finish class around 10 pm to 11 pm and get home to sleep for their next usual day. I've gone through the same thing before. I worked at a video store full time while working for some cell phone company full time too. I worked at the cell phone company every morning and the video store every night. It was 6 am in morning to 4 pm. I then worked again at 5 pm and finished around 2 am.

I know it's a bit gross but we get used to it. I've seen people tell me, "Jeez... buffalo wings!? Is that all you can eat?" Well, gross or not... I still lost 40 lbs in three months. Part of my diet was eating at Hooters twice a week... gotta love their wings!

Cannot believe I see more more product and Subway's with "Atkin's Friendly". See lot of stuff at my fave grocerty like "Low Carbs" blahh.

Learn something that Atkin's is one of safe diet. Good for diabetes. But sadly, make donuts/bread businesss become tough.

Not that surpirse that more restaurants and products under Atkin's approve.

im now starting to slowly change my diet -- ive already given up sodas long time ago -- drink 1 can every couple weeks which isnt all that bad to begin with -- i dont eat red meat so thats good -- trouble with me is my love for corn and potatoes!!!!! :cry: hard for me to give those up

Give up corn and potatoe? I'd be so depressed! How about eating that once a week? I eat it once or twice a week only with small portion of it.

Katzie said:
Give up corn and potatoe? I'd be so depressed! How about eating that once a week? I eat it once or twice a week only with small portion of it.
It's okay to eat a small portion of potatoes each week. What the program suggests is that you stick with the diet for at least 30 days... 20 days at the least. After that, it suggests that you take "a day off" by eating anything you want... high-carb food is recommended. That will usually jumpstart your metabolism for when you go back to your diet again. Some people go off for one meal on a Saturday or a Sunday. It sorta helps.

I find the Atkins diet completely scary.
As far as i can tell, you lose weight by gorging yourself, while at the same time starving yourself.
If you look at the 'food pyramid', you will find that all the 'carb' foods are at the bottom, and the more high protein, high fat foods are at the top.
In other words, the atkins diet reverses this pyramid.
So you eat much of what you need a little of, and almost none of what you need a lot.

check this out: Atkins diet alert

One of my friend is on Atkins Diet and it work on her well, lost 60 pounds so far..... She told me she did offers to her friends and they follows it, gladly it helps!

MizzDeaf said:
One of my friend is on Atkins Diet and it work on her well, lost 60 pounds so far..... She told me she did offers to her friends and they follows it, gladly it helps!
Yep, it still helps! I would be on the diet myself... unfortunately, they don't have that kind of selection of foods here at RIT. Since I'm only limited to eating what they provide on RIT campus, I can't really do much. They serve frozen raw hamburger patties in packs of 12. In order to allow them to last long, I need a good freezer. In order to cook them well, I need a stove. The other issue is, the Atkins-related food they have... are expensive. They are nearly three times as much as they would cost if I went to SAMs Club. If I was living off campus, I'd definitely be able to focus on the Atkins Diet. If I was living off campus and getting my own food off campus, then I'd definiitely be able to focus on the Atkins Diet much more.

That must suck. Atikins diet is a nightmare for all vegetarians everywhere!! For myself, If I wanted to do that then I would have to eat lots of tofu, soy and all that.. And that wouldn't suit me very well. I love eating veggies and fruits only.

I have been sticking with the south beach diet (lost 7lbs on it so far since last Monday), and i think it's less scary than the atkins in my personal opinion from all the recent news these days.... long term health problems like kidneys and the heart.. due to long-time ketosis? atkins has given some people serious health problems... there is not much we know and that's why we evolve, and we should allow ourselves to evolve as new ideas and info come into light. I think Atkins was a good plan, introduced in the 1970s with the only available info.. today we have plenty of info :))) Take with a grain of salt, too... even with SBD...

Butterfly Gal, South Beach Diet offers a vegetarian option.. I am losing 7 lbs on SBD so far... one big problem about the diet plans offered by atkins, jenny craig, richard simmons, weight watchers and all - is that they make us eat frozen food entrees and special bars.... we have to be DEPENDENT without really resolving that craving thing. thats not what i want! fresh produces are encouraged on SBD, and you make it all on your own.. *grin* the point is to eat until you are full, not overeat, with the three phases of this diet plan with the last phase being for life. I am a big vegetable eater these days... and I like to do it the more harder way without health problems :))) I don't want to have to be worried about giving into cravings... my hubby and I are booking appointments for homepathy, too.

Review on SBD, dr phil and atkins books:

Atkins: Dr. Atkins' New Diet Revolutionby Robert C. Atkins, considered the low-carb bible, allows people to eat too much red meat, which may raise the risk of colon or prostate cancer, she says.

Plus, if people keep going back to the induction phase, "the lack of fiber, vegetables and fruit may raise the risk of heart disease, stroke, cancer, diverticulosis and constipation," Liebman says.

SBD: The South Beach Diet by cardiologist Arthur Agatston is a "healthy version of the Atkins diet that's backed by solid evidence on fats and heart disease."

The diet plan outlines foods {ndash}{ndash} whole grains, healthy fats, fish, chicken, fruits and vegetables {ndash}{ndash} that "are very close to what health experts are recommending," Liebman says.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...atkinssouthbeachordrphilanexpertratesthebooks

In a rare moment of candor, picked up by a New York 1 News camera, Mayor Bloomberg yesterday described the slip-and-fall death of Dr. Robert Atkins last April as "bull----" - and called the diet guru "fat."

While chowing down on bow-tied pasta and chicken at a Brooklyn firehouse yesterday, Hizzoner opined, "Atkins is dead. I don't believe that bull---- that he dropped dead slipping on a sidewalk. Yeah, right."

"I actually went to his house out in Southampton for a Pataki fund-raiser two years ago," Bloomberg added. "The guy was fat — big guy — but heavy. And the food was inedible. I took one appetizer and I had to spit it into my napkin. It was just terrible."

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...1/ts_alt_afp/lifestyle_us_atkins_040121195458
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm..._krnewyork/hizzonersdiatribeatatkinsdiettribe

Last edited:
Low-Carb Diets Can Cause Bad Breath

THURSDAY, May 13 (HealthDayNews) -- The Atkins diet might chase away more than just unwanted pounds -- it could lead to bad breath that chases away your friends.

But there are ways to battle halitosis caused by low-carb dieting, says the Academy of General Dentistry.

Low-carb diets work by getting the body to burn stored fat as fuel rather than carbohydrates. As that fat burns, chemicals known as ketones build up in the body. They are released through the breath and urine, and they can be smelly.

The types of food ingested also play a role, academy spokesman Dr. Bruce DeGinder said in a prepared statement.

"Most cases of bad breath originate from the breakdown of food particles that produce sulfur compounds, and from bacteria on the gums and tongue," DeGinder said. "High protein foods can produce more sulfur compounds, especially overnight on the surface of the tongue when saliva production is diminished."

To combat this bad breath, the academy suggests that dieters:

Drink plenty of water to wash away germs in the mouth.
Chew sugarless gum or parsley.
Keep a toothbrush handy and brush after every meal.
And if the bad breath persists, see a doctor. Halitosis can be a sign of a more serious condition, such as diabetes.

More information

Here's where you can learn more about halitosis.

Lasza said:

THURSDAY, May 13 (HealthDayNews) -- The Atkins diet might chase away more than just unwanted pounds -- it could lead to bad breath that chases away your friends.

But there are ways to battle halitosis caused by low-carb dieting, says the Academy of General Dentistry.

Low-carb diets work by getting the body to burn stored fat as fuel rather than carbohydrates. As that fat burns, chemicals known as ketones build up in the body. They are released through the breath and urine, and they can be smelly.

The types of food ingested also play a role, academy spokesman Dr. Bruce DeGinder said in a prepared statement.

"Most cases of bad breath originate from the breakdown of food particles that produce sulfur compounds, and from bacteria on the gums and tongue," DeGinder said. "High protein foods can produce more sulfur compounds, especially overnight on the surface of the tongue when saliva production is diminished."

To combat this bad breath, the academy suggests that dieters:

Drink plenty of water to wash away germs in the mouth.
Chew sugarless gum or parsley.
Keep a toothbrush handy and brush after every meal.
And if the bad breath persists, see a doctor. Halitosis can be a sign of a more serious condition, such as diabetes.

More information

Here's where you can learn more about halitosis.

is bad breath caused by going into ketosis? thats burning off fat by eating less than what is needed. does a low carb diet cause the body to be flabby?

:werd: I always carry around a pack of those breath strips! :thumb: I'm addicted to them! Hehehe!

VamPyroX said:
:werd: I always carry around a pack of those breath strips! :thumb: I'm addicted to them! Hehehe!
Oh really? do they taste pretty good? i have never tried them cuz i was afraid they might be too strong tasting...yeeck!

Defee said:
Oh really? do they taste pretty good? i have never tried them cuz i was afraid they might be too strong tasting...yeeck!
Yes, they are very strong. After taking some, you'll eventually get used to them. They do have many brands and flavor so you can always find something that fits you best.

Back