Any BMW owners on here?

It got ZF-sourced eight-speed automatic transmission. That's crazy? eek.

me too, 8 spd automatic tranny. Wow, sounds like the vehicle is too heavy to push, I think. I should google it later to find out what the heck is the V12 do with a heavy vehicle.

I follow the California's stringent smog law. If any aftermarket high performance parts installed in the engine bay to enhance performance without C.A.R.B. (California Air Resource Board) approved or CARB label, are illegal in California. Want to get tag? Get original parts to put them back to get a tag if passed the emission inspection.

That is interesting! otherwise strictict to illegal reason C.A.R.B approved on lebl something! system on depend on engine!! investigate to emission!

just out of curiousity, do you think V6 is the new V8, and the V10 is the new V12? i wonder if this has anything to do with emission and emulating the traditional power characteristic and attemping to bring down gas consumption lower for the same kind of performance? But i do know V6 just more compact that str 6 which is way its being more nowaday, but on the other hand str6 tend to last alot longer because of the well-sussed viberation/timing doesnt stress the wear so much..correct me if im wrong, like i said im just curious if you know anything or have an opinion about this

Unless you are discussing about the BMW only, then my answer is.... I never seen any V6 engines in the BMW lines. Only 6 inline engines.
I dont understand what you mean the V6 is the new V8? Let me explain like I say... depend on the size of bore and stroke what the engine have. Example: if the same 4.0L in both V6 and V8 engines, what high horsepower at high rpm do you want to chose a V6 or V8? Which one? I go with a V8. Same as V10 to V12.
I know one MBZ V12 engine that will become 6 cylinders during cruise mode to improve gas mileages. GM 5.3L or 6.2L V8 engines will become V4 during cruise or idle mode.

V blocks are more vibration than inline blocks like you mention. I did witness the newer MBZ maybe 2008,a V6 engine is bad shake like rough idling but you hop in the seat, feel nothing, wow. I think they design good motor mounts(like they act shocks in the front or rear suspensions). Expensive motor mounts, I tell you. Why? The motor mounts are filled with fluids maybe Power Steering fluid or special hydraulic fluid. The reason is they increase compression ratio and add vvt system and upgrade engine control system such as spark control system to maintain good fuel mileage

Grummer, I forget to reply you about the question of "Vibration/timing doesnt stress the wear so much". For straight 6 inline engine, you are correct but for 4 inline engine is more silk than 6 inline engine. Why? 4 cylinder crankshaft have single plane... mean 1st (cylinder#1) and 4th (cylinder#4) rod journals are at the top dead center as 12 o'clock position , other 2nd (cylinder#2) and 3rd (cylinder#3) rod journals are at the bottom dead center as 6 o'clock position. Im sure you see it before. With V8 crankshaft, have 4 positions.....12 o'clock, 3 o'clock, 9 o'clock and 6 o'clock that called cross plane crankshaft that create the engine vibrations as always, but the open wheel race car like F1 or Indy cars use single plane crankshafts in V8 engines. Sounds complicate. This single plane V8 crankshaft is for high rpm and very small vibration. NASCAR engines use cross plane crankshafts like we do have the V8 engines in domestic/import vehicles, still displays vibration and limited rpm.

My bad. You was right E39 is a V8. I confused M5 with M3. :dizzy:

That's correct about weight also heavy weight cause poor handle. I like lighter weight to help better fuel economy and better handle that's all I care.

actually no. heavy weight does contribute to better handling. If you're too light - you'll fly off the dock. Great thing about BMW is that its F/R weight distribution nearly 50-50... thus great at handling and cornering.

Nissan Skyline is front-heavy. Subaru WRX is slightly front-heavy. Porsche 911 is rear-heavy.

I had a z4 but had to get rid of it because 1) it was an impulse buy. 2) started to have mechanical issues and was in the shop 1st week off the lot 2) was a sports car and they cost more to maintain and last but not least I also have Lupus and wasn't diagnosed when I got the car and it's a covertible. So it's pointless making payments on a car I cannot enjoy.:barf:

so with that said I now have a BMW 328i 4dr sedan, 230 HP, fully loaded and low miles. 53 k. My z4 had 32 k miles when I got in and in three years by the time I traded it in it only had 42 k miles :shock: I do not drive much....:laugh2:

So for those of you who do own a BMW what series and why do you love your car, hate...you name it.

It's nice blending in now with the rest of the cars on the road now. The z4 stuck out like a sore thumb.

:D
a very long-time BMW driver and rider here :)

My parents drive BMW 330 coupe now. In the past - we've had 328 convertible and 318ti. For me - I ride BMW F650GS motorcycle.

the only hate I have is that BMW cars have expensive maintenance and repair but why then... complain about it??? It's common sense.. BMW is an expensive European car. If you can afford BMW, surely - you can afford the cost of owning it.

Z4 is DESIGNED to stick out like a sore thumb. That's why people buy it and it is a very cool car. My friend drives Z3, I believe.

If I have enough $$$$, I would buy 318ti and restore it. I love that car. It's great size and look. BMW is awesome car. One thing ya'all should know about owning a high-performance car especially German cars. If you expect to maintain German cars to be affordable and reliable like Honda car... well - that's just silly. there's a reason why these German cars are HIGH-PERFORMANCE type. When a car is fast and sticky - the parts (brakes, tires, etc.) will wear out fast. You will need to maintain it properly and regularly more often than you do with Japanese cars.

That's why Japanese cars are underpowered and German cars are overpowered :lol: Would you trust your life with Honda/Hyundai/Toyota/Kia on high-speed roads like Autobahn?

Last edited:
I'm not big fan of BMW except this classic BMW 850i.

0905_01_z+1991-1997_bMW_850i+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

thats a nice mature young man's car, masculine without aggro and still fast and sporty without any silliness, its definitely a good looking car , not sure why they dont make it anymore, to me Z3 Z4 is too 'faggotish' sorry my bad sexist language but it is...

actually no. heavy weight does contribute to better handling. If you're too light - you'll fly off the dock. Great thing about BMW is that its F/R weight distribution nearly 50-50... thus great at handling and cornering.

Nissan Skyline is front-heavy. Subaru WRX is slightly front-heavy. Porsche 911 is rear-heavy.

If you find 3 pretty chubby girls in your Xterra to obtain good 50/50 weight distribution to get know how handling behavior do your Xterra looks like? Care to explain?

I'm not big fan of BMW except this classic BMW 850i.

0905_01_z+1991-1997_bMW_850i+front_three_quarter_view.jpg

I have a 1994 BMW 840ci in a gas station shop for battery draining problem. I tried to diagnose the excessive electrical draw, found a general control module problem but I dont buy it cuz this module is sharing with many other modules. Hard to diagnose them without a BMW factory scanner tool. My service writer told me that he found one tech from another station that he have a BMW scanner tool, we can borrow his scanner tool later. You know that this car have 2 batteries in trunk. Damnit. Pain in the butt

I am disagreed with you. I drove BMW i528 before and it got tight and hard handle and not great idea for city. it's design for high speed at highway at strange but turn left/right? Forget it.

Also, my father drove BMW i528 for over 10 years. So he tried drive our VW Rabbit before then he told me that he love VW Rabbit's steering handle over BMW i528. Yes, We knew that i528 2.8L I6 is heavy than Rabbit 2.5L I5.

Why you don't watch video about Mustang vs Lotus.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxflDjfBdoI]YouTube - ‪Lotus Exige vs Ford Mustang - Top Gear - BBC‬‏[/ame]

Tell me why Mustang can't beat Lotus at the track? Mustang got powerful 5.0L V8 and Lotus got 1.8L I4.

a very long-time BMW driver and rider here :)

My parents drive BMW 330 coupe now. In the past - we've had 328 convertible and 318ti. For me - I ride BMW F650GS motorcycle.

the only hate I have is that BMW cars have expensive maintenance and repair but why then... complain about it??? It's common sense.. BMW is an expensive European car. If you can afford BMW, surely - you can afford the cost of owning it.

Z4 is DESIGNED to stick out like a sore thumb. That's why people buy it and it is a very cool car. My friend drives Z3, I believe.

If I have enough $$$$, I would buy 318ti and restore it. I love that car. It's great size and look. BMW is awesome car. One thing ya'all should know about owning a high-performance car especially German cars. If you expect to maintain German cars to be affordable and reliable like Honda car... well - that's just silly. there's a reason why these German cars are HIGH-PERFORMANCE type. When a car is fast and sticky - the parts (brakes, tires, etc.) will wear out fast. You will need to maintain it properly and regularly more often than you do with Japanese cars.

That's why Japanese cars are underpowered and German cars are overpowered :lol: Would you trust your life with Honda/Hyundai/Toyota/Kia on high-speed roads like Autobahn?

strange part is, german bikes are slowpokes

If you find 3 pretty chubby girls in your Xterra to obtain good 50/50 weight distribution to get know how handling behavior do your Xterra looks like? Care to explain?

well - when it comes to Xterra... I didn't buy it for good handling like BMW :lol:

It's an offroad SUV. Its primary speciality is "anywhere, anytime". Although - its handling is pretty good but I wouldn't use it for cornering or high-speed sport driving.

but for sport car - weight distribution plays a huge factor when it comes to cornering.

If your car is rear-heavy... that would mean your car is a serious tire-burner like Porsche 911 or Ferrari but it will oversteer a lot. If your car is front-heavy... that would mean your car probably has a serious engine in front like Nissan Skyline but it will understeer a lot (unless your car is FWD).

But understand this - you can't exactly compare BMW with Ferrari because it's not exactly fair. Cars like Corvette, Porsche, Ferrari, and Lotus are whole another class. It's a high-performance sport car that sacrifices luxury and space.

On the other hand.... BMW M-series achieved near-perfection with right weight distribution and right power-to-weight ratio. This is extremely difficult to achieve especially if you combine luxury car + sport car together. That's why there's no other car that is like BMW for so long.... until recently. Audi S-series has finally caught up and it's now BMW's biggest contender for a very specific automobile class - Sport-Luxury vehicle.

Mercedes-Benz AMG is part of sport-luxury class too but it failed the cornering test because it's sluggish and has "lazy" roll. Why? it's too heavy but then.... does it matter? It's Benz and it's a serious bling-bling and it makes you look good and feel good in front of people. :cool2:

For SUPER ULTRA $$$$$$$$$ sport-luxury class.... it's Rolls-Royce. From what I read, it's unbelievably awesome. It has abundant amount of power and it can even keep up with BMW M-series or Porsche with ease. no problem.

I am disagreed with you. I drove BMW i528 before and it got tight and hard handle and not great idea for city. it's design for high speed at highway at strange but turn left/right? Forget it.
wrong car. wrong place. I wouldn't use 528 for city driving. and I wouldn't use 528 or sport car for some slow "local" driving. what a waste of money. use your common sense.

Also, my father drove BMW i528 for over 10 years. So he tried drive our VW Rabbit before then he told me that he love VW Rabbit's steering handle over BMW i528. Yes, We knew that i528 2.8L I6 is heavy than Rabbit 2.5L I5.

Why you don't watch video about Mustang vs Lotus.

YouTube - ‪Lotus Exige vs Ford Mustang - Top Gear - BBC‬‏

Tell me why Mustang can't beat Lotus at the track? Mustang got powerful 5.0L V8 and Lotus got 1.8L I4.

1. You're extremely obsessed with "drag race" comparison
2. I'm not interested in "drag race" cars because you can't do drag race in real life. what's the point?
3. I'm talking about cornering.
4. Why are you even comparing 10+ years old i528 with a new modern VW Rabbit? You silly rabbit! :lol:

528 from 90's is underpowered. You might want to check out current model of 5-series. You and your dad will be very impressed. Beside - you shouldn't even be comparing 5-series with VW Rabbit. That's just very silly. Those 2 cars are in completely different class because you're comparing like this - a very large Chevy Suburban vs. Jeep Cherokee. You should try BMW 1-series to compare with VW Rabbit. btw - did you know that modern BMW cars now have variable-ratio power steering?

and... I hope you're not telling me that Lotus won because of weight. There's a LOT of factors involved.

strange part is, german bikes are slowpokes

compared to Ducati and Suzuki... yes.

but then... BMW bikes are not in "crotch rocket" category except one model but it's not popular. BMW bikes have dominated dual-sport and sport-touring category for decades. Yamaha just came out with new Tenere available in America. It's becoming a serious contender against BMW but won't be a serious threat for another several years.

wrong car. wrong place. I wouldn't use 528 for city driving. and I wouldn't use 528 or sport car for some slow "local" driving. what a waste of money. use your common sense.

1. You're extremely obsessed with "drag race" comparison
2. I'm not interested in "drag race" cars because you can't do drag race in real life. what's the point?
3. I'm talking about cornering.
4. Why are you even comparing 10+ years old i528 with a new modern VW Rabbit? You silly rabbit! :lol:

528 from 90's is underpowered. You might want to check out current model of 5-series. You and your dad will be very impressed. Beside - you shouldn't even be comparing 5-series with VW Rabbit. That's just very silly. Those 2 cars are in completely different class because you're comparing like this - a very large Chevy Suburban vs. Jeep Cherokee. You should try BMW 1-series to compare with VW Rabbit. btw - did you know that modern BMW cars now have variable-ratio power steering?

and... I hope you're not telling me that Lotus won because of weight. There's a LOT of factors involved.

Wrong!

Then why you bring up non-sense about heavy weight is better handling in first place?

Again, it's dont make sense to me that heavy weights does better handling for BMW. Care to explain?

Wrong, My parents 528i is not even 90's.

Again, Tell me why Mustang can't beat Lotus at the track? Mustang got powerful 5.0L V8 and Lotus got 1.8L I4.

There's a LOT of factors involved.
Care to explain?

Wrong again, it was not about drag race. It's about avoid from an accident like road pot,animals, idiot people, etc. It's may happen anywhere even ramp from highway. What's wrong with you. The drag race don't give a fucking about better handle even they don't bother to turn left/right.

Wrong!

Then why you bring up non-sense about heavy weight is better handling in first place?

Again, it's dont make sense to me that heavy weights does better handling for BMW. Care to explain?

Wrong, My parents 528i is not even 90's.

Again, Tell me why Mustang can't beat Lotus at the track? Mustang got powerful 5.0L V8 and Lotus got 1.8L I4.

Care to explain?

Wrong again, it was not about drag race. It's about avoid from an accident like road pot,animals, idiot people, etc. It's may happen anywhere even ramp from highway. What's wrong with you. The drag race don't give a fucking about better handle even they don't bother to turn left/right.
ssssshhhhhhhh :cool2:

compared to Ducati and Suzuki... yes.

but then... BMW bikes are not in "crotch rocket" category except one model but it's not popular. BMW bikes have dominated dual-sport and sport-touring category for decades. Yamaha just came out with new Tenere available in America. It's becoming a serious contender against BMW but won't be a serious threat for another several years.

cool, ok yep i agree, just saying high performance cars but relaxed bikes is just a wee odd maybe BMW didnt want lose reputation of relibility at all costs just my reckoning is all.

cool, ok yep i agree, just saying high performance cars but relaxed bikes is just a wee odd maybe BMW didnt want lose reputation of relibility at all costs just my reckoning is all.

lol good point :hmm:

My dad used to own an BMW. I think it was a 135i convertible.

Back