Another 5 yrs old arrested

Cheri

Prayers for my dad.
Premium Member
Reaction score
I was watching the news and came across about this girl who was arrested in St. Peterburg, Florida after an outburst at school where she threw books kicked a teacher in the chin, smashed a candy dish, hit an assistant principal in the stomach. The students were counting jelly beans at Fairmount Park Elementary School when the little girl began acting like a kid always act to get attention. That's when her teacher took away her jelly beans, outraging the child. Minutes later, the 40-pound girl was in the back of a police cruiser, under arrest for battery. Her hands were bound with plastic ties, her ankles in handcuffs.

Everyone has to understand that children throw temper tantrum all the time expectly in schools and at homes. Why cannot the teacher take responsible and remove the child out of the class and call the parent. She might have not been disciplined at home for her behavor, Call Nanny911, or get her some help but arresting a 5 yrs old is plain stupid period!

5yr.old Arrested

BELIEVE ME THAT IS NOT UNCOMMON IN FL. I LIVED THERE FOR SEVERAL YRS. AND MY DAUGHTER ATTENED A SOUTH FL. SCHOOL DISTRICT. WHEN WE ENROLLED OUR DAUGHTER IN SCHOOL IN FL. AT THE TIME YOU GOT THIS MAANUAL OF WHAT THEY WILL NOT TOLERATE FROM CHILDREN IN FL. SCHOOLS. THE PAGE S OF WHAT THEY DID ALLOW WAS 2 1/2 PAGES LONG. FL. HAS A ZERO POLICY IN SCHOOLS. WHEN MY DAUGHTER WAS IN 1ST GRADE THERE A CHILD (7) GOT MAD AT ANOTHER STUDENT AND ROLLED UP A PIECE OF PAPER AND THRU IT AT ANOTHER CHILD, UNFORTUATELY THE PAPER HIT THE TEACHER. THEY CALLED THE POLICE(SCHOOL ADMINISTRATORS) THEN THE KID'S PARENTS. THE KID WAS CHARGED W/PROPULSION OF A MISSILE (A FELONY). THAT'S RIGHT A FELONY. SEE THEIR IS THIS LITTLE KNOWN LAW ON ALMOST EVERY STATES BOOKS, THAT STATES: "THAT ANY OBJECT THROWN, EJECTED, OR RELEASED ON SCHOOL PROPERTY THAT HITS, ENDANGERS, OR CAUSES EXTREME HARM TO THE VICTOM WILL BE CHARGED AS SUCH." :wiggle: IMAGINE ALL OF THIS OVER A KID THROWING A PIECE OF PAPER AT ANOTHER.

Let's see. She could have given the teacher bruises or cuts with the book-throwing. She could have cut the teacher's chin if she had sharp shoes. If the candy dish was glass, she could have cut someone. Anything could have happened. Maybe, this happened so often that they had to do something excessive. :dunno:

Or maybe to instill fear.
Don't mess with authority.
This bothers me.
I do not care what Taylor says.

We are drawing a line here.

VamPyroX said:
Let's see. She could have given the teacher bruises or cuts with the book-throwing. She could have cut the teacher's chin if she had sharp shoes. If the candy dish was glass, she could have cut someone. Anything could have happened. Maybe, this happened so often that they had to do something excessive. :dunno:

Is that your point of your post for the right of getting arrested? She was only 5 yrs old that no excuse to arrested someone that small, those children doesn't know from right and from wrong, They are small children. I have watched Super Nanny that those parents were going through a lot more than a teachers at school would go through, and they don't phoned a police? They find another solution to work on the child(ren) And you see how the children change to be even better than before? You think a 5 yrs old getting arrested would change anything? Not. :(

There's discipline for five-year-olds...arresting them is a little extreme. I have a four year old who occasionally throws his share of temper tantrums...and fortunately, time-outs suffice enough as punishment and he knows when he is wrong. To arrest a baby is a little silly, IMO. I am all for "scaring some sense into them," but I can't help but think of my own child when I think of that age group. I think there are many alternate ways to teach a child a lesson. Time outs, taking away of their favorite toys, unplugging the television. Handcuffs aren't needed to teach a baby a lesson.

Just think - what would happen if we arrested every disobedient four-year-old? LOL.

Amen Malfy :hug:

I am sure SuperNanny Jo Jo wouldn't be too happy to see a 5 yrs old being arrested from the result of being in a temper tantrum. I can imaging her face, She would shake her head sideways and rolling her eyes like I've seen how she did that when she was watching the video of the children behaving bad when the parent weren't doing their routines like she listed them to follow.

I am tired of seeing when someone cannot find a solution to control a temper tantrum child, they phoned a police, Police think they have so much power and above everyone else, I know they get away with stuff all the time. They act like they are top of the world and everyone else are at the bottom of the world. Why cannot the police use their brains and say, This matters should be handle by the parent not us.

I cannot believe it. Police already ruined her life especially 5 years old. This teacher has no mortal to understand the age difference. What a sad! It is likely that the teacher really cares to make money than caring children in school.

Oh my goodness, It looks like this school in St. Peterburg, Florida doesn't know how to handle a 5 years old child, so they decide to call the police? eh?.... :confused:

I have a 5 years old son, of course there are times he would throw a few fits of temper, I would put him time-out for that but putting a small child like this in jail won't help a bit, it makes the child even more angry, what the heck? look like this school don't know what the heck they're doing...

Seem the school needs to be educated by the parents and the community cause they don't know how to deal with a 5 years old child maybe can't deal with any child so they decide to call the police to let them do their job for them....

I'm glad my 5 years old child doesn't attend to that school, if I heard about this happen to another child, I would withdraw him out immediately...

Beowulf said:
Or maybe to instill fear.
Don't mess with authority.
This bothers me.
I do not care what Taylor says.

We are drawing a line here.

LOL...OK Beowulf.....You may not care what I have to say, but I'm curious about what you have to say. What would you do in this situation?

In most schools, teachers are not trained (nor are they allowed) to restrain unruly children. Here are the videos

Video of Classroom and the video of the Office

The first video is mostly of the teachers following the student around saying 'You can't do that'. Since they cannot restrain or hold the child, they are at the childs mercy and can only follow her around telling her 'No' and the child is obviously not listening.

Some things to point out in the first video. The teacher is talking on the walkie-talkie to somebody in the main office telling them to call the mother and tell the mother she has to come to the school to get the child. Moments later, there is a response on the radio saying the Mother will not be responding until after school and will not be coming to pick up the child.
Here, we have a parent who is letting the school deal with a childs issue when the parent should be responding

Something else that is mentioned on the video is that all of the other children had to be evacuated from the classroom because their safety was endangered.

The only time you see the child being held is when she is attempting to assault a teacher and when she climbs up on a table and is in danger of endangering herself.

Unfortunately, there are some things missing from these videos....such as the second video of the office and how it became such a mess. If you look around, there are things thrown all over the floor.

Lastly, when the police officers arrive, one of them is saying 'Do you remember me......I'm the one who told your mother that I'd put handcuffs on you' meaning that these officers have dealt with this very same child before.

So, Beowulf, what is your solution to this problem? You have teachers who are not allowed to restrain a violent child....other children need to be removed from the room for their safety because the child is throwing and breaking things and punching at others. You obviously have a school system who is terrified of lawsuits and they have to walk on egg shells around this tantrum. It finally escalates to the point that the mother is refusing to come get the child so the police have to take care of it.....

The school can't deal with it....you say the police shouldn't deal it with (something about instilling fear of authority) and you have a mother who is refusing to deal with it. The school called in the police to do something for them that they, probably under the law, could not do: Restrain the child. And of course now the the mother wants to sue everyone in sight.

Sorry...bribing a child with a lollypop to settle down doesn't always work.
So, for those of you who want to criticize the police for getting involved, thats fine....but what are your solutions?

Last edited:
There has to be some better way to be able to restrain a child in school who is quite literally a 'threat' to others when certain things are being thrown about or if the child is being physically combative...knowing that teachers and school administration can't 'hold' down or 'restrain' a child mostly out of fear of being held accountable for 'bruises' or any other 'injuries' that could come out during the constraining which these teachers and administrators could be facing such lawsuits, etc.,....

I did get a glimpse of this child during her tirade on the news, showing her throwing something at the teacher while the teacher was holding up her hands protecting herself and the girl kicking the police officers in the leg (we know how THAT can hurt ;) ) ....there just has to be a better way of dealing with crisises such as this one, instead of slapping hand-cuffs on a child, another much more approving way is needed so that MOST people will tend to agree with that will be sufficient when it comes to restraining an abruptive child in a school....I'm not saying I condone the method that's being used as it was for this girl...and I'm sure more and more of these situations will be unfolding and does call for some in- depth study, etc., in order to properly and safely restrain these 'younger' children for which the majority will view as appropriate....

Taylor said:
So, for those of you who want to criticize the police for getting involved, thats fine....but what are your solutions?

I already said my solutions and looks like you not reading me. ;) It easy for non-parent to say, If there is no other solutions, Let the police take care of it; when they haven't walk their own feet to understand either. All Children grew up and throw a temper tantrum. If someone tells me that their child never does that I don't buy it. Why do they call it terrible two? Sometimes they haven't outgrown their terrible two yet. Some are out there haven't been given a proper disciplined at home, Of course it's part of the parent fault. But, being arrested by a police is out of hands and there is nothing in the world would make a child get better, If you see a temper tantrum child, You get that child help, if disciplined at home doesn't work. But having a police involved is outraged. It disgusted me to see that happening to a small child being arrested. Where are their brains? If it was their own child they would throw a fist.

I remember my hearing sister used to look at my own child in a funny way because of his temper tantrum when he was two, She wasn't a mother at that time, When she had her first daughter, Her daughter did the same thing, She shuts up. See? Some have to be a parent to understand, But you don't, why? because you don't have a child. It's the truth. Somedays you would realized it.

Taylor

I've seen worse than what this girl did on the video...When my 2nd child enrolled into the preschool program at the public school where they have pre-kindergarden to 2nd grade, there was a little boy who was 5 years old kept biting other children in the classroom, when the teacher told him several times to stop, but he refused and so the teacher got up and told him to come with her, he refused, he started throwing fist around by knocking over things off the table which were blocks etc, the teacher pulled him into the hallway and made him sit in the time-out chair while she talked to him about his behavior, he got all angry and started kicking the teacher while she was trying to get him to calm down, when he started kicking her, she hold his legs down and told him stop, don't do that, etc....and while the other teacher who is an aid in the classroom walked to the main office to get help I believe, the teacher was still talking to him out in the hallway ... I was in the classroom watching the children while the two teachers took care of the problem.....They did not have to call the police, they did everything they could to calm the child down, what I see on the video is the teacher did not even try to clam the child down, but kept following her around telling her no no no, it that suppose to help? my goodness....

It seem that none of this would have happen if the teacher had tried her darnest to calm the child down, do whatever you can without giving the child a bruise mark or two, but she did not tried her best and she wasn't able to deal with a 5 years old child...there are other ways you can deal with a child with that type of behavior, sadly, at the end they involved the police into this...

I also noticed that the mother did not come to the school when someone from the main office tried to get her to come , that was stupid part on the mother for not showing up, or had came, but there are others that the mother had add in case of emererecy they could at least try to call those other people that were in her file, they could have done alot more, but sadly they gave up too easy!

I don't agree at all how the school handle this, they could have thought of other soluations how to handle this kind of behavior, but it seem the teachers and the school were not trained to do what they thought it was best, and the only soluation they thought it was best to call the police.... :(

Last edited:
^Angel^ said:
Taylor

I've seen worse than what this girl did on the video...When my 3rd child enrolled into the preschool program at the public school where they have pre-kindergarden to 2nd grade, there was a little boy who was 5 years old kept biting other children in the classroom, when the teacher told him several times to stop, but he refused and so the teacher got up and told him to come with her, he refused, he started throwing fist around by knocking over things off the table which were blocks etc, the teacher pulled him into the hallway and made him sit in the time-out chair while she talked to him about his behavior, he got all angry and started kicking the teacher while she was trying to get him to calm down, when he started kicking her, she hold his legs down and told him stop, don't do that, etc....and while the other teacher who is an aid in the classroom walked to the main office to get help I believe, the teacher was still talking to him out in the hallway ... I was in the classroom watching the children while the two teachers took care of the problem.....They did not have to call the police, they did everything they could to calm the child down, what I see on the video is the teacher did not even try to clam the child down, but kept following her around telling her no no no, it that suppose to help? my goodness....

It seem that none of this would have happen if the teacher had tried her darnest to calm the child down, do whatever you can without giving the child a bruise mark or two, but she did not tried her best and she wasn't able to deal with a 5 years old child...there are other ways you can deal with a child with that type of behavior, sadly, at the end they involved the police into this...

I also noticed that the mother did not come to the school when someone from the main office tried to get her to come , that was stupid part on the mother for not showing up, or had came, but there are others that the mother had add in case of emererecy they could at least try to call those other people that were in her file, they could have done alot more, but sadly they gave up too easy!

:gpost: Well said ^Angel^ :thumb:

Some questions:

1. Was the girl actually arrested, that is charged, booked, and processed at the police station? Or was she just taken into physical custody until a parent claimed her?

2. Has anyone here actually seen the full 28-minute video?

3. What legally could the teacher or school staff do to constrain the girl? Are they allowed to put her into a "bear hug" for restraint?

4. If you (any ADer) were the teacher, how exactly would you handle the situation?

Some opinions:

1. I don't think the police should be used to "instill fear" in children.

2. I don't think the police enjoy responding to this kind of call, and I don't think they get a power trip from cuffing kids. They probably hate the situation as much as anyone.

3. The mom sold her story to a TV program. Seems like mom has some issues of her own. Hmmmm....?

Reba said:
If you (any ADer) were the teacher, how exactly would you handle the situation?

If I was a teacher I would remain clam and not argue or panic around the child, I would hold the child arms and put her legs between my legs and tell the child to calm down before he or she hurt someone else. And ordering to use a time-out, I would take the child out in the hall and make the child sit there to remain calm, Once the child calms down her/his frustrated I would go and talk to the child trying to solve the problem what had happen in the classroom and what was not necessary to do.

Now If there is another situation where the child sits time-out in the hallway screaming or kicking walls, That another thing I would do would be contract the list of people who are on emergencies list in the child's folder and have someone pick the child up as soon as possible in order to have the child to calm down.

Now, I've seen a boy sitting in the hallway before when I picked up my son, That is how you do it. If the problem gets worst than contract the list like I stated above. How hard is that? Calling the police is plain stupid period. That means the teacher is not a role model for the children, She gave up so easy because she couldn't handle it. Remember they have to remain calm and try to act fast before the child does more. Calling the police make them look even worst because, It's like no parent would want to take their children to that school, when they don't know how to solve a problem on their own. When the child is in school it's the teachers responsible for all children, When the child is at home it's parent responsible if the teacher cannot control the child, then call the parent or the grandparents, or the aunt, uncle. etc. ;)

Video from the kindergarten classroom, I watched the video I see the child throwing books and papers off the shelf the teacher been standing around with her radio the whole time. How is that going to help a child clam down? She hasn't done anything not even time-out. :confused:

Video from the assistant principal's office and arrival of the police, Now that I watched the video in the office the teacher was standing by her the whole time, If she was so violence she would be really out of control. Come on. She is so harmless my gosh. That teacher should be fired. Still the teacher just stood there letting that child take control. :laffin: Oh my gosh. :crazy:

Cheri said:
If I was a teacher I would remain clam and not argue or panic around the child, I would hold the child arms and put her legs between my legs and tell the child to calm down before he or she hurt someone else...
I agree that might work. The problem is, some schools do not allow the teachers to touch the students. There are so many weird laws in schools now. I just don't know; what can you do if the teachers are not allowed to hold the students? :dunno:

I really don't want to call the police for elementary school children, unless they are using a weapon.

Back