Adjustment to late onset deafness

That is great to hear Dogmom. Right now, the only persons I know that are HoH is my family (no help there). I have been "cracking out" on Signing times and the net, but without anyone that knows ASL yet. I have asked around but nobody seems to know anyone else in the neighborhood that is HoH (with sign) or d/Deaf. The nearby suburb group that I joined in hopes to find someone to practice with does not meet for about 3 weeks, so i am hoping to get some more signs under my belt so i don't just stand there confused (my guess is I will anyways). I have gotten a webcam to chat with the friends I make at the face-to-face meeting, but so far, I have just been using it to see my own signs and practice my ABC's phonically (read somewhere it helps when you start to read someone FS'ing to sound out the letters then to mentally try to spell). Not sure if it is the "right" way, but so far so good.

It helps that I too was in LD as a kid/teen and found I was a visual learner. To see and mimic tends to burn things into memory faster for me then to read it from a book, the trick is getting the grammer down. I know it seems silly to learn from YouTube, but some, like CaptainValor, have the ASL translation next to the English translation when you click "more". It lets me look at them both, figure out why and what order things are placed, then watch the video to see a example of it.

FX, if everything isnt set yet, why not attempt to get in touch with Vocational Rehab in your area? Cant hurt. They can be very helpful and some even provide advocacy services.

:ty:FXAvatar - like you am VERY visual learner, visual-tactile. But I was diagnosed w/LD til college, and continually failing remedial college math, still having difficulty reading clocks, etc.

When I was in college I did have DVR <Voc.Rehab> services. They assisted w/funds for books and post-college initial job search and prep. They paid for LD testing also. The testing results and the advocacy of Disabled Student Services Center at university helped me get accommodations for classes.

It's in my family. My grandfather, then my mom and now me. If you have a dominant loss it will be in your family. 50/50 chance that offspring will be effected (my kids).

I understand that most genetic hearing loss is recessive (instead of dominant). With recessive loss, the parents don't know of hearing loss in their families.

You'd think that being in a deaf family would be helpful. My family, like FxAvatar's family, lived in denial and with shame. It's sad to see people suffer so needlessly. I'm grateful that I have more resources--like the internet to find my comrades. :cool2:

Oh that's interesting because we have never really found out in our family about our hearing loss. That probably means ours in dominant or maybe not.

My nana was hoh and 3 out of 5 kids I know are hoh, one of them my mother. Out of those 5 off-spring one died in WWII so don't know about him. One uncle who died in 40's I'm not sure of either but he has 2 children that are hoh. The other hoh adults have at least 1 child in their families that are hoh. In my family my mother, sister and I are hoh, my brother is not.

My sister has 5 children and one is hoh. I have 4 children and 2 are hoh. My brother who is not hoh has 2 children that are not hoh.

Yeah, really I have no clue. So far none of my grandchildren are hoh even though one parent is hoh. Interesting.

I have checked into getting some medical coverage, since I lost mine when I got laid off and I just got pasted the waiting time at my new job, I have asked them to get me the details. Since this is my first time looking into hearing testing (I know, in a family with a history of hearing loss.. dumb to have not tested my hearing since 6th grade).. I have read a few things from the earlier posts and many of the acronyms throw me, should I start at my general practice doctor or what? Also, has anyone ran into issues with getting coverage with medical inc with HoH?

I found out this year our insurance company doesn't cover hearing test. However, when I commented that is seemed like discrimination to the CS person I got a call back from the supervisor within 15 minutes to tell me that as a discretionary measure they would pay for a hearing test!

I think so many emphasis on eyesight in companies that have computers and employees developing eyesight issues, but not much with hearing unless it's a noisy industry.

I really don't want to bring up the health care issue, I know you guys are battling with it, but my ha's cost $4700 here in Canada. They are paid for. Plus, all batteries, adjustments, visits, etc., paid for. I get new hearing aids every 5 years....paid for, for life.

Yeah, but aren't you police? I would have thought that your union would have negotiated all that if your hearing loss is work related or whatever?

I'm from New Zealand and unless you are covered for work related issues from a noisy industry etc you have to pay for yourself. However, as I say that my daughter got her's free because she was a full-time student and needed them for learning. If you work over 20 hours you can also get them free. For the life of me I couldn't get them free as a CS operator for a newspaper cause I only worked 15 hrs per week. Now tell me why I shouldn't qualify at all??

I bought mine off HearingPlanet.com here in America and they cost me half the price as from an audiologist. I also had to go to a hearingplanet referrred audiologist before I could get them. So I want to debunk this myth I've seen on this site that buying from the internet is bad. These companies do make you go to an audiologist and the costs for visits and fittings were paid for through the hearingplanet people.

:ty:FXAvatar - like you am VERY visual learner, visual-tactile. But I was diagnosed w/LD til college, and continually failing remedial college math, still having difficulty reading clocks, etc.

When I was in college I did have DVR <Voc.Rehab> services. They assisted w/funds for books and post-college initial job search and prep. They paid for LD testing also. The testing results and the advocacy of Disabled Student Services Center at university helped me get accommodations for classes.

Hum, With starting classes, I am going to check into this. Class enrollment has just started, but I am waiting for a transcript from my college classes I took 10 years ago to be transfered to the school. I think I will use this time to check into my local Voc.Rehab.
As for taking classes for Sign, I am kinda in a impass. I checked my local commuity college and it turns out they do have classses, but the only night class I can take would conflict with my work since I travel alot. I have placed a post under the header sign language to see if anyone has any sugestions. I will post more details in that forum about my issues with learning sign...

Good Luck, FX! Sure, check out the Voc Rehab, a lotta things have changed since I was client. If you have any documentation of "condition" or "disability" or whatever, be sure to bring-maybe see if there's a website.

ASL classes are not that plentiful where I am either. If appropriate for you, you could check out Deaf Church in your area. Also, your state's Deaf Association <part of NAD>, Deaf Chat coffee <check website>, Deaf Professional Happy Hour, and/or ITP student signing associations.

Sorry if anything repetitive-

You know, as I was sitting on a plane waiting to fly out to Phoenix to train some co-workers, I happened to look down at three guys that load/unload luggage. As I watched these three guys attempt to yell over the ear plugs that they are forced to wear, I thought to myself “wow, I wonder why they do not just pick up basic sign?.. even SEE would be make perfect bedfellows with a job like that”. Then something I thought about earlier when I was worried about losing my current job over my hearing quality dropping and the random complete loss of sound (I talk on the phone most of the time, and fly out to do group support too).. I am starting classes to become an Electrical/Computer Engineer, but what happens if it gets worse (and from my family history, I know it will in time) or goes totally out? I am starting to learn sign for prep for the “chance” it could go out or when the slow fade reaches the point I would rather sign then fight to read lips, but what if I am banking my future on a career that someone that is deaf can not do?.. (as a side note, not sure if I have said it yet, but my two best friends have decided to learn ASL with me, to support me as I struggle with learning the new language. They have also started to teach their kids sign as well, so we will all learn it together.. )
I searched AD, but other than military service and a long posting about serving as a Police Officer, I really have not found much in what can someone that has had his or her hearing then lost it.. do? I know that tech can replace some of the hearing that is lost for many, and this is path that I am not sure I can or will take. But, going with the extreme case that one of these random sound “outages” never ends and I find myself deaf, will I still be able to go to college?.. become a engineer?.. It is not like I can just get a Terp for class, I have just started learning myself. After watching a few vblogs to see what signs I can catch as they talk (kind of a test myself thing for my upcoming meet and greet), I know I have a long way. I was told it takes about 6+ years to become fluent, what if my ears don’t give me that long. I guess I could get a note taker and hope like hell I can learn to read lips fast, but not sure what else I could do, and that will not even touch how to work in my real world job..
So, I am not sure how to ask, but has anyone that was hearing and in college, or a full career ever find themselves out of a job due to hearing loss?..

:wave: FX, patience - brainstorming below-
I have posted this part here before but don't know if you saw....I recently had a job w/dogs and I was put "off-schedule" in Sept. because of my LD and also <from my perspective, nothing was literally said, but I can guess based on experiences> my new hoh of status. The position just isn't good match for me in general so that's how it will be....but I will just try again with something else. I am used to trying different ways. My husband who is deaf w/o HA's-no sign - went college and had no aids at time. Now it is true he was born w/Rubella syndrome so comparison can't be exactly same, but am just using as an example to show possibility. Student services for d/Deaf offer a broad range of assistance in college and depending on college or university there may even be a Late-Deafened or hoh support group - or you could form one. Perhaps there is Deaf Center in your area, or an ALD chapter? <www.alda.org>. I guess I believe that YES - you can still go to college and become an engineer - maybe will take longer, you will have to do differently than you planned- but from my optimistic viewpoint and as someone who has had find various coping strategies, I think you can! Don't sell yourself short/underestimate yourself! And I am glad for you that your friends have decided to share this journey with you:)

And I once saw a tv program about a guy who used to race stockcars was involved all various aspects of it - one time he had accident that caused him to become blind such that he had very little sight left - technically not low--vision. He stayed involved in the racing industry and became mechanic/part of pit crew instead.

yup, a visual language would help in many instances, indeed; the thing is, in my thinking to make sure ASL remains available for Deaf as language/cultural tool.

I agree with dogmom. Don't limit yourself. There are always solutions to the hearing issues.

I know that my local community college has a person on staff to deal with ADA issues. Universities should have someone, too. Find out who it is and contact that person.

Colleges and universities want students and they will help you. The only hard part will be deciding what you want to study and pursue. :D

And getting your doctor to provide documentation that your school's disabilities department will understand, which in my case means getting an audiologist appointment that coincides with my hearing schedule, which is unfortunately severely unpredictably random.

Don't worry, Bott, I'm really happy about it all!
:wave:

SerendipityG3A, what are you studying? If you care to share, that is?

I know that my local community college has a person on staff to deal with ADA issues. Universities should have someone, too. Find out who it is and contact that person.

Sweet, I will have to check into that, I have the results from my hearing test.

Colleges and universities want students and they will help you. The only hard part will be deciding what you want to study and pursue. :D
This is exactly what I was worried about, if my field of study will be issue for when (not really a if looking at my parents, but when) my hearing gets worse. For now, yes, I am just under the normal hearing level. I can still make out what people say as long as it is not in a loud room, but five years from now, after I have dumped time and money into becoming a engineer, I just don't want to plan for a field that could be limited based off my hearing (for example, if you knew your sight was going, would you go to school to become a pilot?).
I know that I can look to fix my hearing, for now, the audiologist said that HA's will not help me and an ENT is needed to look at the inner ear. I am sure that as my loss gets worse that I can lean on tech like HA's, I was mainly wondering if my choice in fields was going to be effected by my hearing loss..

If you want to be an engineer, you can find a way to be an engineer, even if you are completely deaf. We have more technology now. It seems like everyone communicates via computer now. Most of what I did involved email.

:wave: FX, patience
I am, it is just that I will be starting classes soon, and when making a roadmap to get the degree I want, I was just wanting to know before I start if I need to change directions.

The position just isn't good match for me in general so that's how it will be....but I will just try again with something else.
This is in effect what I want to prevent from hitting. It is not that I don’t love the challenge, hell; if I hated challenges I would not be looking to become an engineer. I just don’t want to start a uphill battle with the shear part of a mountain. I want to know that the top is at least reachable, even if it is a tough climb.

My husband who is deaf w/o HA's-no sign - went college and had no aids at time.
Wow. I am really impressed. Did he just read the lips of the instructors?

There may even be a Late-Deafened or hoh support group - or you could form one. Perhaps there is Deaf Center in your area, or an ALD chapter? <www.alda.org>.
I am sure there is a chapter, Kansas City is a big town, I am just so new to the Deaf community that I have not really known about it. As for a group at the school, I will ask when I go for a campus visit later this week/next week.

I think you can! Don't sell yourself short/underestimate yourself!
I am a shy guy, but when I set my eyes on a goal, I tend to make things happen to get to it. If I want something, I will do what I need to make sure I get it. (not that I have everything I want in life, far from it, but I tend to be stubborn headed when I set goals I make it happen).

I am glad for you that your friends have decided to share this journey with you:)
Thanks, me too. Frankly I did not expect the response I got from my friends after getting the reaction I got from my family. The family just blew it off, while my fiends turned it into a learning opportunity for themselves and their kids.

And I once saw a tv program about a guy who used to race stockcars was involved all various aspects of it - one time he had accident that caused him to become blind such that he had very little sight left - technically not low--vision. He stayed involved in the racing industry and became mechanic/part of pit crew instead.
Hum, I would see this more as a compromise that I would not want to reach for. He also had an accident once in the field that made him go blind, I know I am losing my hearing while debating on starting in that field. I KNOW my current field would be almost impossible to do deaf, I answer phones for a living (I could just see my bosses reaction to the configuration and/or costs of adding VRS to every tech call I took). The next step up on my career line is a divide, Network admin or system admin. The network side has never really interested me, but the system side has. The drawback is the next tier above that one is getting into the engineer level (my org. goal coming out of high school, but I could not afford it at the time) and that takes a bachelors in engineering. Now that I have a good amount of experience in the PC field, and I am making the money that I can pay for the first 2 years of college, I am resetting my goals of that engineer degree. I had decided to do this before I had my hearing checked, I just figured that since I only missed what people say every now and then, and in groups or busy rooms, and some sounds that others noticed and I did not, .. that I was fine.. ( I know, ostridge in the ground mindset, but hay, that too runs in the family :shy: ). Frankly, if not for my random sound drop outs, I would never had thought to go looking into my HoH.

a visual language would help in many instances, indeed; the thing is, in my thinking to make sure ASL remains available for Deaf as language/cultural tool.
Forgive me if my meaning was not clear. My thinking was that people, even the hearing, could benefit from the use of a visual language, not to take anything away from the Deaf community or culture. That some jobs that the use of hearing is limited or not available (like those that work with planes) could benefit from basic sign language. They have already formed their own limited version of gesture based guidance when talking to pilots to guide them (with the lighted sticks), but the use of a standardized language like ASL or a modified version like SEE would be great for them to learn. I did not mean that they should or even could take anything away from the Deaf community, but better themselves from it.

SerendipityG3A, what are you studying? If you care to share, that is?

Honestly, I'm still having a tough time deciding. I've asked everybody and their dog for help, but the best I can get out of them is, "You can do anything you want. It doesn't matter that you're deaf!" I donno what I want to do. I do know that I don't wanna fight for it. I've been fighting for everything I've ever gotten out of life because of my hearing loss until it came down to the most important thing: my career. Now I'm just burned out and can't do it anymore. I think I'm on the right track to figure it out though. One last fight, as soon as I get the courage (and the paperwork from all my doctors). Vocational Rehabilitation. It baffles me why somebody didn't tell me about that years ago.

Man, I love Google. After posting that last post with Dogmom’s husband, I thought that maybe on another site I could find something about deaf engineers. Well, that search lead me to deafhhcareer.com and that site had a posting from someone that is deaf and in each of my end goal careers. Now, they both had hearing loss at a younger age, but they both struggled with debating if the field was right for them as deaf persons. Each one of them have the degree I was after, but they both gone to Rochester Institute of Technology. A school that seems to be more targeted to the Deaf community then the one I am planning to attend. I will have to check into that as a fallback if I run into issues with my current college. It is re-assuring to see someone that has been there and has made it in the field. They both had hearing loss way greater then my own, but none the less, they are able to work in the field..

FX,:wave: just a quick note - when I wrote "patience", I didn't mean you were being IMpatient, I just meant, for you to please have patience with ME because I was going on in a "brainstorming", possibly "rambling" kinda way when I wrote back about your concern about college/job.:)
sorry about confusion!

Back