87% Say English Should Be U.S. Official Language

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Great Melting Pot is assimilation. That's what one is supposed to do when adopting a new home land.

Not necessarily. Your perspective is that it is about assimilation. That doesn't necessarily mean that is the concept intended to be conveyed. One is "supposed" to do? Which etiquette book is that written in? Or which law book, for that matter?

That is the broader, more tolerant, less discriminatory, more beneficial, more appreciative of differences viewpoint.

Not necessarily. Your perspective is that it is about assimilation. That doesn't necessarily mean that is the concept intended to be conveyed.
Then why is it called a melting pot and not a mosaic, or tossed salad, or Chex party mix, or hodge podge?

When my father
came from Germany as a 19-year old the very first thing he did was to enroll in a class taught at a local public school to learn English. My aunt told me that he became proficient in English in only six weeks. He wanted to be an American and to do so he had to learn the language. Of course, he retained his German heritage. However, assimilation was important to
him, as it was to most immigrants.
Assimilation of Immigrants and the Imperative of Pride in America

Correct, Reba.

Wirelessly posted

jillio said:
Wirelessly posted

I rather take pride in a cultural mosiac than a melting pot.

As would I, dear souggy, as would I. Shame that some don't seem to see the life enriching benefits of such.:wave:

Yet our mosiac seems to function fine with English and French as official, although...

In practice, it's usually referring to language of the the legal documents, not necessarily what people speak.

Wirelessly posted

Yet our mosiac seems to function fine with English and French as official, although...

In practice, it's usually referring to language of the the legal documents, not necessarily what people speak.
Which may be fine for your country, which is a different demographic, and has a different history than the United States has. What works for one country doesn't work for another.

I prefer melting pot. IMO - I view (from American perspective) cultural mosaic as distancing themselves from each other.

United States of America. Let us all united together!

Wirelessly posted

Reba said:
Wirelessly posted

Which may be fine for your country, which is a different demographic, and has a different history than the United States has. What works for one country doesn't work for another.

Huh? I was pointing out the flaw in jillio's argument...

I prefer melting pot. IMO - I view (from American perspective) cultural mosaic as distancing themselves from each other.

Exactly.......a cultural mosaic leads to a country divided. A country cannot survive with a bunch of individual groups clamoring for the needs of their group to be met. Americans first! The hyphen might just be the symbol that represents our downfall.

Anyone ever been to Toronto?

That's a true example of a cultural mosaic. Every other block is a whole different world... which is cool.

Although I wouldn't live in Toronto. Just not my kind of city.

Wirelessly posted

A flaw? You gotta be kidding! She never has a flaw in any of her arguments. You committed a grievous error here.

Wirelessly posted

:shock: Did you really just say that!!! Foxrac will explain to you how you are wrong in a bit.

Wirelessly posted

TXgolfer said:

Exactly.......a cultural mosaic leads to a country divided. A country cannot survive with a bunch of individual groups clamoring for the needs of their group to be met. Americans first! The hyphen might just be the symbol that represents our downfall.

For a mosiac to function, you need an iron ha... Er, I means gravel.

At least you Americans got loopholes.

We? Judge, Jury and Executioner.

Not really, but it seems that way sometimes.

Then why is it called a melting pot and not a mosaic, or tossed salad, or Chex party mix, or hodge podge?

Checked any of the current sociological terminology used to describe American culture lately?

Anyone ever been to Toronto?

That's a true example of a cultural mosaic. Every other block is a whole different world... which is cool.

Although I wouldn't live in Toronto. Just not my kind of city.

And the same can be said of several of America's larger cities, as well. Chicago is one that comes to mind. It seems to be a fear of the more rural areas that their particular culuture will be destroyed if they go so far as to accept another culture as viable.

A flaw? You gotta be kidding! She never has a flaw in any of her arguments. You committed a grievous error here.

Good ole kokonut. Always the one to throw out the ad hominems, and then whine about being picked on when they come back to haunt him. So predictable and uncreative in thought and action.

Wirelessly posted

Quite true. In practice that is the way that it would play out. However, I get the distinct impression that most of those expressing an opinion would not be satisfied with practice at all.:cool2:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back