200 liters of Diet Coke and over 500 Mentos mints

:rofl: That would be so hilarious to see.

:lol: Coca Cola is still going. :P

Psst, it does work on Pepsi. :)
Yeah, I figured... I saw the video. That's the first time I've ever heard it mentioned with Pepsi. :dunno:

I had heard about this, and it seems quite fun.

I think it has to do a lot with carbonation vs surface area (Mentos mints are slightly porous) but there is something chemical to it also (non diet Coke, or other carbonated beverages don't work as well, and non mint Mentos, like fruit ones, which have a smoother surface, tend to not work at all)

Uh, so what happens if I put a Mento in my mouth and then decide to drink a Coke?

Uh, so what happens if I put a Mento in my mouth and then decide to drink a Coke?

It might get fizzy, but you won't explode or anything, I wouldn't think. I don't think it will geyser nearly as much due to the amount you can fit in your mouth, plus irregular mouth shape and non-constant pressures vs surface area... (which will mean the Mentos would be effecting less carbonation at a given time)... there is also no 'bottle neck' to concentrate escaping pressures.

I have been looking to see if anyone has done this... it could range between almost nothing happening to a slight foam that wants to come out... but I don't think you would be spewing Coke like what happens in the videos.

Oh, and by the way... I wouldn't drink it from a 2 liter while sealing your mouth over it if you have a Mentos in your mouth. It probably isn't that dangerous (because you can break the seal) but it will cause a reaction between the mentos in your mouth and the Coke which is still in the bottle.

Did a kid get hurt drinking soda and eating that candy(don't know the name of it) that pops in your mouth? sorry off topic.

Did a kid get hurt drinking soda and eating that candy(don't know the name of it) that pops in your mouth? sorry off topic.

Pop-Rocks? I heard something about this... I am not sure if it is a 'legend' or not. I'm sure it's possible, depending on the circumstances, though... but I don't have enough info to say for sure.

IT would be a nice food based bomb! You could probably pour in a lot of mentos and close the valve of a big tanker semi truck. Boom!

They had WAYYY too much time on their hands :) LOL but great video!

IT would be a nice food based bomb! You could probably pour in a lot of mentos and close the valve of a big tanker semi truck. Boom!

Hehe, it wouldn't make a bomb (luckily, because I'm sure someone would do it, if it could)

Since it is not a rapid chemical 'explosion' (like with gun powder, it burns VERY fast, so when you enclose it, it explodes because the force is so fast and powerful)

In a tanker truck, all it would do is rupture at the weakest point, and then spray a geyser out, just like it does with a Coke bottle... but bigger. It wouldn't explode and send fragments or destroy anything.

(I know you were playing around, just giving a useless bit of info) :D

Edit:
And the weakest point would likely be the seal on the cap itself, by the way. It might 'pop off' like a champagne bottle, or just simply fall off, or it could just leak out of the seal, or it might even do nothing, depending on the situation.

Pop-Rocks? I heard something about this... I am not sure if it is a 'legend' or not. I'm sure it's possible, depending on the circumstances, though... but I don't have enough info to say for sure.

I might Google it later.

It might get fizzy, but you won't explode or anything, I wouldn't think. I don't think it will geyser nearly as much due to the amount you can fit in your mouth, plus irregular mouth shape and non-constant pressures vs surface area... (which will mean the Mentos would be effecting less carbonation at a given time)... there is also no 'bottle neck' to concentrate escaping pressures.

I have been looking to see if anyone has done this... it could range between almost nothing happening to a slight foam that wants to come out... but I don't think you would be spewing Coke like what happens in the videos.

Oh, and by the way... I wouldn't drink it from a 2 liter while sealing your mouth over it if you have a Mentos in your mouth. It probably isn't that dangerous (because you can break the seal) but it will cause a reaction between the mentos in your mouth and the Coke which is still in the bottle.
The stomach acid neutralizes the carbonation in soda. So, drinking Diet Coke and then taking some Mentos won't really do anything.

The same applies to soda and Pop Rocks. :)

what fun video, they had a lot of fun, though kinda expensive waste like I wonder how many time they done it in practice to perfect their syncronising for the video

The stomach acid neutralizes the carbonation in soda. So, drinking Diet Coke and then taking some Mentos won't really do anything.

The same applies to soda and Pop Rocks. :)

Yup, kind of figured that much, but the question was if you have it in your mouth (the Mentos).

It does have some kind of reaction, in that case. I was able to look up some people who did it. It is just not the same as dropping it in a Coke bottle... (however it CAN spray like that, if you have Mentos in your mouth, seal your lips on 2 liter bottle and then tip it back)

Here, someone does it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdmM_fYGukU
Was pretty much as I assumed, the pressure is not great, but will spray a bit, and will react in the bottle if you 'seal' your lips. However, if you just take a drink without sealing, all it will do is this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVBtqcnedls

Why don't they just do it in space?

Oh, wait... the soda would freeze. Never mind.

It could be done in the space shuttle. ;)

Why don't they just do it in space?

Oh, wait... the soda would freeze. Never mind.

It could be done in the space shuttle. ;)

That would be interesting a fast track for frozen soda Popsicle within minutes. :)

Back